Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injury at Rented Accommodation

Options
  • 07-12-2016 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

It was dark in the hallway and the light bulb had been smashed/non functioning for the past few months due to my neighbor having an anger fit.

I was going down the stairs and slipped on a very wet surface. The railing was wet too and soapy. Given I held onto the railing in attempt to break my fall(didn't work given it was slippery), I twisted and it was only the side of me that hit the bottom of the stairs.

On the way to the ER now and I can't turn to my side. My side is spasming and hurts if pressure is put that way.

If I am injured, could I sue either my landlord for a hazardous hallway or my neighbors for putting a dangerous amount of water everywhere?

My landlord said he told them to mop last night (they were drunk) because they smeared feces(I assume their dog's) on the hallway floor.

One reason I want to sue is because I want to move to a safer apartment, away from these hard drug users who have now took their carelessness to a level that has affected me on more ways than sleepless nights due to their excessive partying.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

frolic wrote: »
    It was dark in the hallway and the light bulb had been smashed/non functioning for the past few months due to my neighbor having an anger fit.

I was going down the stairs and slipped on a very wet surface. The railing was wet too and soapy. Given I held onto the railing in attempt to break my fall(didn't work given it was slippery), I twisted and it was only the side of me that hit the bottom of the stairs.

On the way to the ER now and I can't turn to my side. My side is spasming and hurts if pressure is put that way.

If I am injured, could I sue either my landlord for a hazardous hallway or my neighbors for putting a dangerous amount of water everywhere?

My landlord said he told them to mop last night (they were drunk) because they smeared feces(I assume their dog's) on the hallway floor.

One reason I want to sue is because I want to move to a safer apartment, away from these hard drug users who have now took their carelessness to a level that has affected me on more ways than sleepless nights due to their excessive partying.

Why do you need to sue to move?
    Why don't you just move?

To sue you have to prove blame and liability. It's a tough one and most likely legal in nature so my advice, talk to solicitor and see if it's worth persueing.

Did this happen inside the building or on the external steps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

As you already have a thread open in legal discussion on this issue I'm closing this thread. It is against boards rules to open multiple threads on the same issue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement