Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals For 2017?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Relatively new to running in 2016.

Goals for 2017:

1. Finish the training for the marathon in Seville in Feb.
    2. Try run 3.40 or less.
    3. Sub 20 min 5k (current pb 20.00 :rolleyes:)
    4. Sub 40 mi 10k (pb at 43.58) - bit of an ask
    5. Complete DCM

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Failed on all these last year but anyway...

5K - 19.30 (20:06)
    5 Miles - 32:30 (35:43)
    10k - 40:30 (42:08)
    10 Miles - 68 Mins (73:57)
    Half - 90 Mins. (1:39:15)
    Total Mileage - 2,000+ (1700+)

Optimistic but feck it, better to miss out on tough targets than to achieve the easy ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

After a fairly solid 2016 I'm looking to build on it into 2017.
    Going to work more on the shorter stuff. The 4k and 10M targets are for the winter and early spring races. In general I'm planning on running more races.

1. 2000 miles for the year
    2. 4K <14:30 (15:00)
    3. 5k <18:15 (18:47)
    4. 10k <39:00 (40:30)
    5. 5M <30:00 (30:57)
    6. 10M < 65:00 (67:07)
    7. 1/2M <1:28:00 (1:33:30)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

• 5km - try for another sub 30 (29:59 pb this year). Get my average nearer the 30min mark (currently between 31-32mins).
    • 10km - get near the 60 min mark (currently just under 75).
    • Clock up 1,000kms.
    • Last goal for 2017 - run a half marathon. It's been in the back of my mind for some time. But then I found out my goal half is not going ahead in 2017 so this threw me if I'm honest. So now I am considering the Galway half...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

I put some lofty goals in for 2016, then carried an Achillies injury for most of the year, resulting in virtually no running. So run injury free for 2017 is the main goal for the year.

In saying the above, I would like to sub 20 for 5K, 40 for 10K, 90 for half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    • 5km - try for another sub 30 (29:59 pb this year). Get my average nearer the 30min mark (currently between 31-32mins).
    • 10km - get near the 60 min mark (currently just under 75).
    • Clock up 1,000kms.
    • Last goal for 2017 - run a half marathon. It's been in the back of my mind for some time. But then I found out my goal half is not going ahead in 2017 so this threw me if I'm honest. So now I am considering the Galway half...

Galway Half is a nice race. Very flat course so good for beginner half runners. I ran it this year for my own first half marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I started the C25K in Oct 2015 so I hadn't even thought of any goals for 2016 outside of just getting out there after the C2K5 was finished and trying to run fairly regularly.

I finished the C25K around December 2015, I skipped some weeks as I was feeling pretty good. By the end of January 2016, I was running pretty consistently and had started thinking about half marathons as I had just done the Milford 10K and loved it so thought a Half Marathon would be a good goal to keep me motivated. I got injured in Feb from doing too much too quick and didn't get back running regularly until May. I had kept up the running but it was lowish mileage. I built up a base in May and early June and decided I was doing the Marathon in October (See how I learned my lesson from Feb :pac:)

Anyway, I actually completed the Marathon training, not without any issues but thanks to the Novices thread and great advice from Nop and the crew, I got through it and managed a sub 4 Marathon of 3h.59m.07 and a Half in Tullamore in August of about 1hr.52m so I am delighted with how the year went for my first year.

Goals for 2017

Main Goals - Stay Injury free and Improve Strength and Conditioning. Run over 1000 Miles, I am currently on about 700 Miles for 2016 and would have probably gone over the 1000 miles if I hadn't injured myself in Feb and Sept.

Bonus Goals

5K - Sub 20
    10K - Sub 42
    Half Marathon - Sub 1h30m
    Marathon - Sub 3h30m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

deisedude wrote: »
    Galway Half is a nice race. Very flat course so good for beginner half runners. I ran it this year for my own first half marathon

Same as, ran it this year for my 1st half and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a lovely day, on a windy day it could be a different story! But i suppose that's the same with any course and at least in Galway with the out/back route you'd have a tailwind for half of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

1) Don't get injured
    2) Don't get sick and end up in hospital again
    3) Sub 18 min 5k (PB = 18:39)
    4) 10k PB (Currently = 39:05)
    5) 5 mile PB (Currently 32:00 but haven't ran a lot of them really - the plan is to change that next year)

All the running goals are possible I think but I'd be happy if only 1 and 2 come to fruition - this year has been an absolute nightmare on a number of levels :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

After great improvements in my race times in 2015, I ran a grand total of ZERO races in 2016 and have had an utterly awful year.

Long story short, we had a new baby girl and she was extremely seriously sick for a long time meaning I did no training whatsoever for 7 months of the year. Hanging around Crumlin hospital all day every day meant diet and sleep was very poor and no training all resulted in a very unfit Laois Man by the time I resumed training again in late September. LSRs are back up to 10 miles already and I lost a stone in November and feeling a lot better

So I have very personal reasons for aiming for DCM 2017 and using it to raise funds for Ronald McDonald House in Crumlin where I lived with Mrs Laois Man and Little Laois Man for a long time this year

Other distances to be covered first

5K - Current PB is 21:28 - I don't like 5K races....I probably won't do many of them (I have only ever done 2). So if I do any at all in 2017, I want to go 20:59 at least. I'm not overly bothered about this.

10K - current PB 45:18 - I'll definitely do a couple of these and looking to go sub 45 comfortably. First one in mind is a week before Paddy's Day

10 Mile - Current PB 74:23 - I've only ever done Frank Duffy in this distance and I expect to do it again in 2017 - if it's a PB by any amount, I'll be happy

HM - Current PB 1:40:05 - That 6 seconds from the 2015 DCM Race Series HM in 2015 still torments me to this day. I will not do that race this year, but I will do at least one HM somewhere and I'd hope to knock at least a couple of minutes off that time. I have half an eye on the Fathers Day HM in Kildare town in June - maybe Wexford Town in April. Don't know yet

DCM - Current PB 4:06:xx - I have no specific time in mind yet but I'll definitely be looking for at least 3:59:xx and hopefully expecting quicker by the time I get to the start line. I feel I should have done better in 2015 but I think I know what I need to do to improve it.

The main thins I need is my body to play ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Some hard acts to follow there: so many great reasons for people posting their goals here for 2017.

My own targets (some of which are unrealistic but are my Plan B, e.g. if the distance isn't going well then I might concentrate on the shorter races).

Short-range targets
    1. 2 miles to sub-13:30. (PB 12:50 but no sub-13:30s in 5 or 6 years).
    2. 5 k to sub-21:45. (PB c.21:15 but haven't seen sub-22:00 in 5 or 6 years).
    3. 5 miles to sub-35:45. (PB 34:55, but nothing below 36:00 in years).
    4. 10 k to sub-46:00. (PB c.44:00, but nothing below 46:30 in years).

More distance (and 'distant') targets.
    1. 10 miles to sub-78:00. (PB 77:xx, but managed c.78:30 in Raheny in 2016, which was best in years).
    2. HM in sub-1:42. (PB 01:43:xx, but managed 01:44:xx in Race Series in 2016, which was best in 4 or 5 years).
    3. Sub-3:50 marathon. (A 4:11 PB in Dublin this year felt like a defeat after all the effort I'd put in with training, though I did have the consolation of raising a fair few quid for Temple Street).

Probably a more general target is to stay injury-free: the last few weeks have been horrific! I suppose the tunnel-vision concentration on building up the mileage came at the expense of ignoring a few warning tweaks and twinges until I eventually did damage.

Also to get back to 83-84 kg; I've drifted up to a hefty 86/87 kg over the past few weeks, and I just know it'll take Q1-2017 to shift it, which could also affect many of the foregoing targets - they don't do handicap races for this old pit pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 BobDylan

Following on from 3 consecutive Dublin City Marathons in 2014, 2015 and 2016 the main goal for 2017 is to run the Cork City Marathon on Sunday 4th June&#55357;&#56833;.

Some other targets:
    1) Stay injury free.
    2) Dungarvan 10 miles in early Feb
    3) Ballycotton 10 mile in March
    4) Limerick half marathon in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I've been hmm-ing and haw-ing about this over the last few days...

2017 Goals:
    1. Keep running. 3000 miles is a nice round number, 3333 miles even rounder :)
    2. Both times I got injured in 2016 were predictably around the time of big increases in intensity - so, no big increases in intensity.
    3. I did a few fun running things in 2016 - my first parkrun, my first IMRA, a couple of races abroad, some enjoyable running around NYC and SF, my first (parkrun) pacing gig... continuing variation in running in 2017 would be great.
    4. More racing. I did 9 all-out races in 2016, which is less than in 2015! I need to come to terms that not PBing in every race is ok, and that racing on its own has benefits.
    5. A few PBs would be nice. I really should PB in Raheny and Trim unless the weather is bad, as I have soft 5M and 10M PBs (I substantially beat my official PBs in the Fingal 10k and Dublin HM respectively). Not sure of the rest of the year's racing plan - I really like the idea of doing the HM around Donabate in September, so that's probably the target race for 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

quickbeam wrote: »
    Yeah, but I'd still be 8 minutes after the last person in Tymon! I don't need to be at my 30 minute goal to start Park Run, but I will need it to be at a "reasonable" time.

honestly don't worry about starting park runs now! there is always a tail runner and every week we have walkers finishing at past 40mins

Everyone has to start somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Only just started running 2 weeks ago so moderate goals

1. Keep running all year
    2. 25min 5k
    3. Sub 1hr 10k
    4. Finish a HM
    5. Thinner and fitter
    6. Get hooked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Run more and more often than I did in 2016.
    Run at least one raced naked (well, without a watch anyway!)
    Fall ill less (think that I've lost the guts of 3 months to chest colds etc.)
    Time goals won't be a big thing but a sub-40 10k is well overdue. I've been in shape to run it a couple of times but it doesn't count unless it's in a race.
    Finish a race having given everything.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In 2017 I want for certain:

- Set a sub 9hour 50mile
    - Set a sub 24hr 100mile

I've not specifically raced a 50mile before with a time in mind and I always came in at around 10hr 10-20min mark in the 2x I've done, but during a 100mile in August I managed the 50mile mark in 9hr 30min so I think sub 9 is totally do-able.

For the last 2x 100miles I've done I wanted sub 24time, I came very close at the last one and would have managed around the 22hr mark but everything went to hell at mile 86 and it took me 7hrs to finish the last 14miles! (I don't recommend this).

Still I'd like to get but if I don't I can try in 2018:

- Beat my sub 1:29 min half marathon time,
    In Dec I ran the Waterford half a week after doing Stook 10mile and another race and the legs felt awful but I still managed 1:33 taking it handy enough so I think this goal is certainly reachable....though its not very compatible with the longer distances I want above.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

1. 2500 miles (less drop in mileage over the summer)

2. Sub 3:30 in Barcelona.
    This should be achievable on the face of it, it's early days in training but I feel that while I'm slower than last year, I'm less brittle too and capable of higher mileage. I'm hoping that comes together at the pointy end of the cycle. I have about a stone to lose and a plan for achieving that in the new year (stop drinking pints)

3. Run more races.
    I've been running 1.5 years and have only raced 1 parkrun, 1 5k, 1 10k, 1 8 mile, 1 10 mile, 3 halfs, 1 marathon. PBs in all but fairly meaningless as half is the only distance I've run more than once. Similar to Singer above I need to run some races and accept that even if I don't run a PB it will bring me on. I'm going to set an arbitrary-ish target of 15

4. Sub 20 5k.
    5ks and 10ks are going to have to make up the majority of those 15 races, so I should be able to get the easiest of the round numbers ticked off

5. Sub 1:35 half.
    I suspect DCM 2017 isn't going to happen for me, going to target a half at the end of summer instead

6. Sub 42 10k
    As above

7. PB in Trim
    I've already started coming up with excuses in my head as to why I'm not going to PB in Trim so I need to HTFU and get it done

In short a balanced year of incremental improvement, consistency and more racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

To continue to work on improving my 5 and 10k times. My P.B for 5k is 21'09 so to break 21 minutes would be great. If I can strengthen a weak core, it's manageable. While they hurt more at the time, I find shorter runs more enjoyable. I've done 2 marathons but have no great desire to do another . Also one race at least in another city. Hopefully a healthy weight will be maintained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

- 2,000 miles.
    - Mile: 5:59 (currently 6:07)
    - 5k: 19:59 (currently 20:22)
    - 10m: 69:59 (currently 71:33)
    - HM: 1:35:xx (currently 1:37:19)
    - M: 3:21:xx (currently 3:28:28)
    - 50k: respectability
    - PBs AT 5m, 10k
    - Another club M50 medal (Harder to be a scorer this year, with some new blood)
    - More parkrun tourism/volunteering
    - Participate in graded meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

My top goal is to reach 50 parkruns which means I have to do 29 next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Cabaal wrote: »
    In 2017 I want for certain:

- Set a sub 9hour 50mile
    - Set a sub 24hr 100mile

I've not specifically raced a 50mile before with a time in mind and I always came in at around 10hr 10-20min mark in the 2x I've done, but during a 100mile in August I managed the 50mile mark in 9hr 30min so I think sub 9 is totally do-able.

For the last 2x 100miles I've done I wanted sub 24time, I came very close at the last one and would have managed around the 22hr mark but everything went to hell at mile 86 and it took me 7hrs to finish the last 14miles! (I don't recommend this).

Still I'd like to get but if I don't I can try in 2018:

- Beat my sub 1:29 min half marathon time,
    In Dec I ran the Waterford half a week after doing Stook 10mile and another race and the legs felt awful but I still managed 1:33 taking it handy enough so I think this goal is certainly reachable....though its not very compatible with the longer distances I want above.

Not sure if we are allowed to chat here, but I see no note forbidding it :pac: so .. can I ask - how does a 100mile work? You are obviously not running it all in one go, or are you? Are there stops along the route where you stop for, say, an hour or so? How many stops do people take? Sub 24hr you say - do people break for sleep during the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

1 mile - sub 6 (PB 6:11)
    5k - sub 19 (PB 20:03)
    5 miles - sub 32 (34:08)
    10k - sub 40 (43:32)
    10 miles - sub 1:10 (1:14)
    HM - sub 1:30 (1:37)
    Marathon - sub 3:30 (3:49)

Some of those targets might turn out to be a bit soft, however others might be more ambitious? I'd a good year in terms of PBs for 2016, and plan to keep headed in the right direction with a strong running year in 2017.

XC times are fairly weak (28:17 for 4 miles) so that's another area where I can improve. I'd like to get into more short stuff; the BHAA Trinity track races were very enjoyable this year, and who knows, if I'm better prepared, maybe I can finally get my first race win somewhere :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Not sure if we are allowed to chat here, but I see no note forbidding it :pac: so .. can I ask - how does a 100mile work? You are obviously not running it all in one go, or are you? Are there stops along the route where you stop for, say, an hour or so? How many stops do people take? Sub 24hr you say - do people break for sleep during the race?

Running it all in one go, with no sleep.
    First 100mile I did was Thames Path 100, starts London and ends in Oxford. 28hr cut off time and around 13 aid stations, some of which you could leave drop bags at. It was 75% trail and 25% Road.

In August I did connemara 100, it has only 4 aid stations so you are required to have a crew with you. It had a 30hr cut off time. It was 100% roads which have open.

My blog link in signature has race reports and garmin links if you want to check out the routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Same as last year, and 2015 and 2014 and 2013... in no particular order,

1. Sub 3
    2. Sub 3
    3. Sub 3
    4. Sub 3
    5. Sub 3

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

22 5k
    45 10k
    1:50 Half
    4:00 Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭VW 1

Having run the Simon fun run this year, in a time of 35 min 43 seconds I only have one PB which is 5 miles.

The intention is to keep training with DCM the end goal, but the main goal for the year is to race and set PBs from 5k up to HM before the marathon.

Also intend on starting a log here to keep me honest, as my training can be a little erratic varying from 2-5 runs per week depending on various factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Well personally a very lazy first half was followed by a great 2016 second half with everything coming to plan in DCM with a 10' pb of 2:49. So this year I will focus on the marathon again (and leave ultras alone for another year at least) to see how low I can get before old age catches me up.

Hence the plan this year is to get back into shape (no running but loads of eating and drinking since DCM...) in the next few weeks to be in form around May for the Derry marathon as a training run. After that, a quiet studious summer should allow me to focus on DCM training with a PB goal.

That's the basic plan, now for the PB goals in all distances.

#1 5k current PB 17:59 (not official) aim: anything lower but I might not even run one...
    #2 10k current PB 37:10 (windy day) aim: 35:59 but not the focus
    #3 10m current PB 1:08:41 (in Stook so hard) aim: I'll be happy with below 1:05 in a few weeks in Trim as I am not fit right now
    #4 half current PB 1:23:06 aim: 1:19:59 just because it's a round number
    #5 full current PB 2:49:20 aim: 2:39:59

So there you go, my main aim is a very ambitious 10' marathon PB and I'll get only one shot at it...

Oh I forgot:
    #6 sub 3 Connemara marathon (current 3:09:30) just because...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Don't get injured
    Only started running March 2016 but delighted finally got fat arse off the couch !
    5km - 30 mins (currently 35)
    10km - only done one ever at 71 mins so maybe 65mins ?
    Complete Clare Run series (5km, 5 mile, 10km, 10 mile )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Cabaal wrote: »
    Running it all in one go, with no sleep.
    First 100mile I did was Thames Path 100, starts London and ends in Oxford. 28hr cut off time and around 13 aid stations, some of which you could leave drop bags at. It was 75% trail and 25% Road.

In August I did connemara 100, it has only 4 aid stations so you are required to have a crew with you. It had a 30hr cut off time. It was 100% roads which have open.

My blog link in signature has race reports and garmin links if you want to check out the routes.

Just finished reading your TP race report. Wow. Serious congrats. Sounds like it really took it out of you - on the day and afterwards with the fever and infection! But you kept going which I find fantastic, given the fact that the distance was so immense.

I know you say that if you can do it that anyone can, but that isn't true. Not everyone would put in the effort and training that is required to acheive something like that. I don't think I would myself. Unfortunately I seem to find myself pretty tight for time doing the training I'm currently doing (which works out at about 15miles per week) along with keeping on top of work and home duties! Although - that said, as my times come down I should be able to squeeze more mileage into my runs and once the weather and daylight improves I can get back onto the road (currently training in the gym on treadmill - not ideal but the best I can do during the winter) and that will free me up by about another 30mins.

Again - congrats. I have bookmarked your blog and will continue to check-in.

Advertisement