Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals For 2017?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

My goals for the forthcoming year will be:
    1) run sub 3.20 marathon, currently (3:24)
    2) 1.30 half....... (1:33:50)
    3) sub 70 for 10 mile (1:10:30)
    4) sub 41 10k (42:20)
    5) sub 19:30 5k (20:03)
    6) I'm starting a training log,so hopefully I'll keep it updated and help keep me on track..
    I've listed the goals in order of preference with the 3:20 being the holy grail,if I can hit or get close to the others i feel it'll leave me in good stead come next autumn. I've logged 1100 miles for the year to date so hopefully beat that Too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Since taking up running at the start of September I have been following the A/R forum with great interest, some really interesting discussions and great training logs. All going well these are my goals for 2017:
    1/ Continue to enjoy running and remain injury free
    2/ Deal with the mental side better when races don't go to plan
    3/ Finish first marathon in Limerick in April, hopefully sub 4hrs.
    4/ Go sub 6 mins for a mile, currently 06:56
    5/ Go sub 22 mins for 5k (23:30)
    6/ Break 48 mins for 10K, (52:24)
    7/ Break 01:50 for a half marathon (2:01)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

tbukela wrote: »
    Since taking up running at the start of September I have been following the A/R forum with great interest, some really interesting discussions and great training logs. All going well these are my goals for 2017:
    1/ Continue to enjoy running and remain injury free
    2/ Deal with the mental side better when races don't go to plan
    3/ Finish first marathon in Limerick in April, hopefully sub 4hrs.
    4/ Go sub 6 mins for a mile, currently 06:56
    5/ Go sub 22 mins for 5k (23:30)
    6/ Break 48 mins for 10K, (52:24)
    7/ Break 01:50 for a half marathon (2:01)

Those are fantastic times for just starting in Sep! Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

tbukela wrote:
    Since taking up running at the start of September I have been following the A/R forum with great interest, some really interesting discussions and great training logs. All going well these are my goals for 2017: 1/ Continue to enjoy running and remain injury free 2/ Deal with the mental side better when races don't go to plan 3/ Finish first marathon in Limerick in April, hopefully sub 4hrs. 4/ Go sub 6 mins for a mile, currently 06:56 5/ Go sub 22 mins for 5k (23:30) 6/ Break 48 mins for 10K, (52:24) 7/ Break 01:50 for a half marathon (2:01)

Unless you break the 48 minutes for 10k before Limerick the 4 hour marathon will be doubtful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

ger664 wrote: »
    Unless you break the 48 minutes for 10k before Limerick the 4 hour marathon will be doubtful

I've never broken 50 minutes for a 10k but ran a sub 4 marathon :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

1) Not get injured
    2) Run first marathon (DCM), with a goal time of under 3:20 (eek!)
    3) Run 2,500 k for the year

Those are the main three, and then I hope the below will come as a consequence of the above.

4) Sub 39 min 10k (current is 42:25 from July 2016)
    5) Sub 18 min 5k (current is 18:55 from December 2016)
    6) Sub 1:30 HM (current is 1:33:50 from November 2016)
    7) PB's in other distances: 2miles (currently 11:50), 5miles (currently 33:40), etc.

I also really need to start doing some strength work, which is a big goal too for 2017 in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭johnruns

To lose 2 stone and run DCM in 2:40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

johnruns wrote: »
    To lose 2 stone and run DCM in 2:40
    at the same time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I'm quite a casual runner, so to up the consistency and keep me going throughout the calender year I'd like to run 1000km. Gonna do a half marathon every weekend to achieve this, so any midweek runs or entered races will be a bonus then. Beyond that there are three HMs and two marathons I want to compete and hopefully make a new PB in.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Goal for 2017 is to stay injury free. Nothing more and nothing. Plain and simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Fbjm wrote: »
    I'm quite a casual runner, so to up the consistency and keep me going throughout the calender year I'd like to run 1000km. Gonna do a half marathon every weekend to achieve this, so any midweek runs or entered races will be a bonus then. Beyond that there are three HMs and two marathons I want to compete and hopefully make a new PB in.

You're actually better off spreading your runs through the week. Regular runs will make your body adapt to the exercise, one big run a week will not have the same effect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Do more miles.
    Try for a sub 17 parkrun. Another few 18 minute ones pushing the buggy would be nice too.
    Do low 2:5x in London Marathon. Sub 2:45 would be stretch target if I can get more miles in.
    Get more sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My first time having running goals.

Improve my 5K time, if I could get under 25 by the end of 2017 I would be delighted.
    Run my first (and probably only) marathon
    Do a 10K
    Do a half marathon
    Go to TDM in France in August.
    Run at the ECF Europeans at Lake Como in October, on my own feet, instead of going in scooter class.
    Encourage new people to get out canicrossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

-I'd like to keep running up properly this year
    -Try out some new routes
    -Enter an actual event

With that last point in mind, is there a newsletter or something for when events are on in your area? I'm not really involved in the running community and not sure where to start....

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jaansu

Getting out to run at least once a week would do it for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

GOALS FOR 2017...

1. Not being injured for at least 9 out of 12 calendar months in 2017 would be amazing (currently injured).
    2. If I can do No.1, then: run more than one outdoor track race for the first season since 2014.
    3. If No.1 & No.2 happen, then set pbs at 800m, 1500m, 3000m and 5000m. Due to my permanently injured status, my 800, 3k, and 5k pbs are all 2+ years old. If I can put a a few months training together, I’d be pretty confident of running 1500m-5000m pbs - although I’d swap any of those for an 800 pb. From the one indoor 800 I did last year, I know I can get into decent 800 shape quickly - just need the body to hold up!
    4. If No.1 & No.2 & No.3 happen, then a full xc season in 2017, including Interclubs.
    5. And, an aspirational goal, another team medal at national novice and losing national novice status in xc!
    6. Another aspiration - be in the mix at road relays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Get back out there and try improve pb for 5,10 and 21 km. just have to loose 2 stone first. Miss the running so looking forward to getting back at it not looking forward to the long hard slog of getting fit but has to be done. Happy new year to all the runners out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

Get through today without killing any one..
    Beat reinhart in at least one race...
    More runs in mountains(only 6 this year :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Goals

Run 2000 miles
    5k 18:20
    5 mile 29:59
    10 mile 62:30
    Half marathon 85:59
    Marathon 2:59:59
    Run XC as much as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

ene wrote: »
    I have only just started running so my goals are a little bit easier:

sub 30min 5k- currently 31.55 having literally never run until about a month ago and losing 5 stone!
    run 10k great ireland run in april
    aim for half marathon in the summer

Did parkrun this morning in the wind and rain and may have already beaten one of my goals- don't have official time yet but phone is telling me i ran 5k in 29.46.

Just got the magical text- 29.21!
    guess I will have to change goal to 5k in under 29minutes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

BadBannana wrote: »
    -I'd like to keep running up properly this year
    -Try out some new routes
    -Enter an actual event

With that last point in mind, is there a newsletter or something for when events are on in your area? I'm not really involved in the running community and not sure where to start....

If you join a club, that will get you involved in the running community and will give you a heads up on local events.
    Or get involved in a parkrun if there is one near you.
    The events subforum has lists of races on this year, and threads discussing some of them. And in some areas there are blogs that do something similar, eg the running in Cork blog.

But joining a club is the best option, for racing and training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Going to be ambitious.
    Pb's in brackets.

5k. 18:30 (18:47)
    10k 37:59 (38:51)
    Half 1:25:30 (1:28:20)
    Marathon 2:59:59 (3:06:51)

The last one won't be attempted until I go close to the third one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Almost sure I crashed and burned when I did this for 2016 but sure what the hell;

Race XC for the club ( should be sorted barring injury over the next 6 days )
    5k - Race 5x5ks, get into the groove and PB ( I PB'd in 2017 but never got into the swing of the distance really...pretty sure I'll take a good chunk off the PB if I give it my full attention for 6 weeks or so)
    5 miles - Sub 29 is deffo on
    10k - I only raced 1 of these last year...why? I love this distance....race more of these and dip under 36 minutes.
    10 mile - not sure I'll get to race one this year....so ....eh....f*ck it, sub 60
    Half Marathon - plain and simple, sub 1.20....the big focus for me over the next few months
    Marathon - Berlin, Sub 2.50

To try a track race or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

2017 goals (after an under-performing, inconsistent 2016)

1. Consistency
    2. H1 rebuild base
    3. Lose a stone (1 & 2 should help)
    4. H2 get back closer to 2015 pb's (depends on 1, 2 & 3)
    5. Get my 50 parkruns tshirt (at 37 now I think)
    6. Run in every country or county I visit (at least overnight)
    7. Try something different -- IMRA, trails....?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

1. 5k - 18.59 (current pb 19.24)
    2. 10k - 39.59 (current pb 41.06)
    3. Run a 5 mile race
    4. Do a cross country or mountain run

Probably all a bit optimistic considering the main goal for the year is to figure out how to run with a buggy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

230km in 24hrs,
    Sub 15:30 at 100miles,
    Finish Spartathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DC.

Sub 2:50 in London would suffice. (2:56:12 PB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

UM1 wrote:
    Get through today without killing any one.. Beat reinhart in at least one race... More runs in mountains(only 6 this year )

Good luck with no 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

UM1 wrote: »
    Get through today without killing any one..
    Beat reinhart in at least one race...
    More runs in mountains(only 6 this year :( )

No 1 in the bag I hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Very modest and basic this year. My main exercise the last year has been Bjj and that's the way I intend keeping it from now on, in 2016 I ran twice. Im going on shift work in a few months so every 3rd week I'll be limited to one class of Bjj.

Get back to the stage where I can run short distances two days every 3rd week. By the end of the year, manage to do Parkrun once.

Advertisement