Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals For 2017?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A big bag of failure.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Failed on all these last year but anyway...

5K - 19.30 (20:06) => No (19:32)
    5 Miles - 32:30 (35:43)=> No (32:54)
    10k - 40:30 (42:08) => No (41:20)
    10 Miles - 68 Mins (73:57) => No (71:10)
    Half - 90 Mins. (1:39:15) => No (1:32:23)
    Total Mileage - 2,000+ (1700+) => On Track (1885)

Optimistic but feck it, better to miss out on tough targets than to achieve the easy ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

adrian522 wrote: »
    A big bag of failure.

It's good to set tough goals Adrian but not if you beat yourself up if you miss them. You PB'd at every distance and by quite substantial amounts at some distances. Maybe it's not everything that you wished for but in my book you had a great year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

1. Enjoy running - sometimes it ends up being a bit of a grind and I've got to get out of that mindset
    2. 10 mile PB (Dungarvan and Ballycotton)
    3. Half Marathon PB (Don't know yet)
    4. 10k PB
    5. 5k PB
    Mid year review. I made this post on 10/12/2016. The plan was to tackle the above distances properly, get my times well down and then run a spring marathon in 2018. About a week later, all my plans went out the window - real life can kick your ass sometimes.

1. Well I've had a lot of enjoyable runs of late, so that's working.
    2. Dungarvan was a slog - training had been disrupted and I was in no form to tackle a PB, physically or mentally, but of course I tried anyway. Ballycotton was better - no PB, but a better performance.
    3. Hoping for great things to happen in Charleville of the back of marathon training.
    4. Done - from 42:01 to 41:28
    5. Done - from 19:58 to 19:17

I had originally planned to train for 5ks, 10k, halfs etc but changed course after Dungarvan and ran the Cork Marathon and signed up for Dublin. The 10k and 5k PBs came during and after marathon training. In other words I haven;t stuck to my original plan at all.

Well, I'm still enjoying running. I haven't improved the 10k time, but the two races I ran since were tough ones. Achieved a good half PB at Charleville and a full PB in Dublin. I'm planning another crack at the 5k in December. Racing year so far has been like that old nursery rhyme - when they were good, they were very very good. But when they were bad, they were horrid. I'll take that though, because the good performances have far outweighed the bad in terms of significance.

Missing out on a 10 mile Pb is annoying though - although my 10 mile split from Charleville (and 10k for that matter) would have been unofficial PBs if there was a timing mat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Clearlier wrote: »
    It's good to set tough goals Adrian but not if you beat yourself up if you miss them. You PB'd at every distance and by quite substantial amounts at some distances. Maybe it's not everything that you wished for but in my book you had a great year.

Fairly tongue in cheek to be honest, delighted with progress this year. All those goals reflect times that would indicate a chance at a sub 3:15 marathon which is a bit of a long term goal of mine (qualifier for London and Boston).

But yeah, happy to make good progress at every distance from 5k to HM so far this year and currently working on the cross country where progress is more difficult to measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Don't get injured
    Don't get injured
    Don't get injured
    Don't get injured
    Don't get injured
    Don't get injured
    London Marathon - just finish and enjoy it :)

(and if I've been a really good girl this year, a sub-2 half marathon at Reading in March would be really nice, 25 min 5k, 52 ish for a 10k etc...)

Got injured the third week in January after my knee had a close encounter of the manhole cover while running home from work. Typical.

Had a PW of 4:53 in London - that will happen when injury condenses your training to 10 weeks and you peak at not even 60km in a week!

Ran 2:05 in Reading 5 weeks after getting back training once my knee stitches came out - it wasn't pretty!

Fastest 5k was 26:02 at Highbury Fields parkrun in April and something similar at Battersea in June. Buggy 5k in 28:07 at Highbury Fields parkrun in May when my passenger was almost 14 months.

I didn’t do any 10k races this year

I did earn my 50 Parkruns t-shirt in mid-October and earned my cow cowl (20 different events) a week later.

I haven't hung up the running shoes yet at 26 weeks with #2, which is already a week further than I got last time.

Could be better, could be a lot worse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Got injured the third week in January after my knee had a close encounter of the manhole cover while running home from work. Typical.

Had a PW of 4:53 in London - that will happen when injury condenses your training to 10 weeks and you peak at not even 60km in a week!

Ran 2:05 in Reading 5 weeks after getting back training once my knee stitches came out - it wasn't pretty!

Fastest 5k was 26:02 at Highbury Fields parkrun in April and something similar at Battersea in June. Buggy 5k in 28:07 at Highbury Fields parkrun in May when my passenger was almost 14 months.

I didn’t do any 10k races this year

I did earn my 50 Parkruns t-shirt in mid-October and earned my cow cowl (20 different events) a week later.

I haven't hung up the running shoes yet at 26 weeks with #2, which is already a week further than I got last time.

Could be better, could be a lot worse?

Congratulations to you both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

MisterDrak wrote: »
    I put some lofty goals in for 2016, then carried an Achillies injury for most of the year, resulting in virtually no running. So run injury free for 2017 is the main goal for the year.

In saying the above, I would like to sub 20 for 5K, 40 for 10K, 90 for half.

Rather that the strict time relate goals above, I did get a few other running successes in the year, which actually meant a lot more...

1. Got into the Raheny National Road relays M50 B team. Didn't place, but absolutely ran my guts out on the anchor leg.

2. Got a silver in the Clubs Winter League Division 2.

3. Did manage to run 19:56 for 5K (St Anne's Parkrun).

4. Managed a 90:xx for the rock and roll Half, not sub 90, but happy all the same.

5. Got 3:13 in DCM. Recon there was a 3:11 there on the day, but things just didn't feel right from mile 5, so paid for it later. Still happy...

6. Ran without injury or pain for the whole year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

my goal is now to be able to do a run before year end...following surgery 6 weeks ago and have to wait another 6 before I can run....ahhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Wottle wrote: »
    To stay consistent but not to become all consumed by it.

Be able to run more with the juveniles in the club (depends a lot on the above).

Would love to get back under 20 for 5k by April, have no idea where I'm at right now, will know more next Saturday.

That'll do for now

Got very sick after writing this. Took me till April to get going.
    Definitely become more consistent, just gone by 1200 miles since April, not sure about being consumed by it though!
    Another check is running with the juveniles in the club which include two of my older daughter's.
    The 5k is proving troublesome, down to 20:32 from Marlay Parkrun just gone and most likely won't get another chance till mid December. Failing that Tom Brennan on new years day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Currently out of action recovering from minor surgery so thought it would be a good time to look back on 2017 Goals. Hoping to get back out running before Christmas.

Goals for 2017.

1. Join a club (almost there already)
    This was a given before I even set the goal as I had already been to a couple of session with Donore Harriers;now a fully signed up member.
    2. Improve as a runner and become more aware of the true art of running; training properly;pacing correctly in races etc from being around better runners than me.
    Been a great learning curve being a member of a club;naturally apprehensive at first but all the lads are very supportive and willing to offer advice. Got involved in XC and even ventured onto the track over the summer
    3. Sub 19:29 5k currently 20:03
    Ticked off got sub 20 in the Tom Brennan then with a focused block of training 18.43 in Kilcock in the summer.
    4.Set a target for 10k; not done a timed one in more than 2 years then better it by the end of 2017.
    41.50 in the National 10k but didn't manage another sub 40 definitely on the cards in 2018.
    5. Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon currently 1:40:09
    Didn't get a chance over the summer to run one;from end of August on has been race free awaiting surgery. Definitely one to revisit.
    6. Most importantly continue to enjoy running.
    100% achieved and looking back after joining a Club the most important goal from 2017

Couple of weeks to get myself right then get back out before Chirstmas and start thinking of plans for the first quarter of 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

ariana` wrote: »
    In no particular order

- run 1,000 miles
    - Sub 24:30 5km, pb is 24:53
    - Sub 2 hr half, pb is 2:09:25
    - new PBs in any other distances in between would be nice too :D

run 1,000 miles
    I've run over 900, i'll need to do a run streak in December at the rate i'm going. We'll see, right now it's more important for me to finish the year injury free so i may have to let this one go :(

Sub 24:30 5km, pb is 24:53
    24:36 last June and i haven't raced a 5k since then. Happy with 17 second improvement in the year even if it wasn't quite the goal, next year :D

Sub 2 hr half, pb is 2:09:25
    I DNF'ed the only half i entered this year :rolleyes: Oh well another goal for next year eh!

new PBs in any other distances in between would be nice too
    New PBs in 8k, 10k, 10m and marathon (ok first time racing 10m & marathon but they still count as PBs right!).

So overall it doesn't look good on paper, i've only achieved 1 out of 4 of my goals but I'm still more than happy with my year's running, DCM being the highlight, and I'm looking forward to setting new goals for the year ahead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

El Caballo wrote: »
    I don't want to even catch a glimpse at my goals for 2016 so gonna move on quickly and look to the future and goals for next year.

1)Run 2000 miles
    2)Run a Marathon PB (3:15:29)
    3)Sub 39 10k
    4)Sub 18 5k
    5)Run Interclubs XC

The most important one is the top one for me, if I can do that, it means I've got some proper consistency in my training and the others should fall into place. Not quite as ambitious as last year but really need to concentrate on making forward progress.

As usual, I hit none of my goals for the year. I didn't really count my mileage but I was probably under 1000 because I didn't really get started until June and I had to build up slowly after not running for a year at that point. The marathon PB was a soft one but I couldn't pull it off as a chest infection rattled me on the run to Dublin and it ended with a DNF. What I did manage this year was getting back to a level of fitness I hadn't been at since 2014, I gave my ancient half PB a fair ol scare in Charleville narrowly missing out on it and finally done something I hadn't managed in 3 years which was run a PB of 18:34 a few days after my DCM debacle. I'll have one more shot at the 5k in a couple of weeks, hopefully getting close to that sub-18 but despite not hitting my yearly goals for the year so far, I think it was a hugely successful year for me, I've got a decent spell of consistency under my belt, enjoying my running more than ever and am back threathening PB's again which I would've bitten someone's hand off for just a few months ago. Next year will be the year for chasing down the aggressive goals:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

1 mile - sub 6 (PB 6:11)
    5k - sub 19 (PB 20:03)
    5 miles - sub 32 (34:08)
    10k - sub 40 (43:32)
    10 miles - sub 1:10 (1:14)
    HM - sub 1:30 (1:37)
    Marathon - sub 3:30 (3:49)

Some of those targets might turn out to be a bit soft, however others might be more ambitious? I'd a good year in terms of PBs for 2016, and plan to keep headed in the right direction with a strong running year in 2017.

XC times are fairly weak (28:17 for 4 miles) so that's another area where I can improve. I'd like to get into more short stuff; the BHAA Trinity track races were very enjoyable this year, and who knows, if I'm better prepared, maybe I can finally get my first race win somewhere :)

Not a good year in terms of these goals. The only one I really got close to was the mile, with a 6:03 in a paced mile in June. PBs for 5k and 10k also, but a long way off target.

XC brought one of my better performances, the 4 mile BHAA Garda race in February. Certainly my best position in these events, although FWIW the time was slower (28:40). DNF in my only marathon attempt, and I didn't race a 10 mile. 2018 goals may be more realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Itziger wrote: »
    Here goes.

5k - 17.30 current pb is 17.50 I believe but as I only do about one every two years..... No 5k ran
    10k - sub 36.30 . PB is 36,48 I usually target one or two in March but current injury would need to clear up pronto to aim for those. Did 2, a bit off pb in both, but by then I was looking at marathon on the horizon.....
    Half - sub 1.22. PB 1.22.04 Had a very nice run with Noel E in Clonmel. No PB but didn't really target the Half either this year
    Full - sub 3. PB 3.03.2x YaY! 2017 will always be the year I finally got this to start with a 2

That time of year already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

1) Stay injury free - Went over my ankle in Sept, while coaching the kids! One thing led to another, now stuck with a persistent plantar fasciitis
    2) 5k 18:xx (PB 19:11) - Lack of speedwork so happy enough with 19:33 on a hilly course.
    3) 10k 39:xx (PB 41:57) - As above, but improved PB with 41:53 in April
    4) 10 mile 67:xx (PB 69:10) - Pleased with 67:12 in Dungarvan
    5) Sub 1:30 half (PB 1:37:50) - Solid 1:31:29 in Charleville, leaving room for improvement.
    6) Sub 3:30 marathon (PB 3:35 off road) - Improved to 3:27:15 on a hot day in in Cork

In addition to my original targets, I managed to squeeze in a few more:
    7) 100k - My first ultra, Portumna in 10h37m.
    8) Hill Running - 3 races this year, first time in the hills since 2003
    9) Cross Country - first time competing in 30+ years and came home with a county team medal

So despite the nagging injury I'm pretty happy with the year overall. Especially pleased that I'm back to being competitive in my age group, with three local wins over half marathon, 5miles and 5k. Helps keep me in shoes!

Roll on 2018 and Belfast...

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭positron

positron wrote:
    * 5k under 25 mins * 10k under 55 mins * Run two half marathons * Finish a marathon

Whipped-cream-soft targets but.. they were pretty daunting to me at the begining of the year. Happy to report all have been achieved.

5k PB of 24:XX
    10k PB now 52:XX
    Ran SSE half and a half in India two weeks after DCM. PB 2h 6m.
    Finished DCM (4h 55m)

Happy enough. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

positron wrote: »
    Whipped-cream-soft targets but.. they were pretty daunting to me at the begining of the year. Happy to report all have been achieved.

5k PB of 24:XX
    10k PB now 52:XX
    Ran SSE half and a half in India two weeks after DCM. PB 2h 6m.
    Finished DCM (4h 55m)

Happy enough. :)

Doing a half in India is pretty damn cool!

Congrats on the times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

quickbeam wrote: »
    Maybe a bit early for an update, but sure ....

1. 5K PB in Parkrun is now just over 31 minutes. But I'd been concentrating on the marathon for a lot of the summer and under strict instructions not to be pushing too hard at Parkrun. But, there's still eight Saturdays until the end of the year to achieve this, so maybe (I'm not running it this coming Saturday as I'm still on marathon recovery).

Jingle Bells on 2nd December in 29:33
    Parkrun on 9th December in 29:28

So yay!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

jamule wrote: »
    Hopefully 2017 will be my second year of decent consistent running.

1. 5k - sub 17.45 (currently 18:20)
    2. 10k - sub 38 (currently 39:15)
    3. Half - sub 1:25 (currently 1:29:11)
    4. Race on a track (preferably 1,500m<5mins)
    5. Do at few IMRA/NIMRA races

The main thing was to a decent year of consistent running, I think I got there, despite being plagued by various flu's at the worst times.
    5k time was brought down to 17:59 in June, had targeted one this weekend, but got sick during the week so came home in 18:10, I may try another one in the next few weeks, if I get it all right, 17:45 should be no problem.

10km- Only ran 2 for the year. First one was in May (38:40), never got to do another until November, got sick the week before but still managed 37:09.

Only ran one 1/2 this year in March, struggled around in 1:33. I done 1:27 in training, so I am not going to far off the 1.25. Might get out and go for it over Christmas just to prove a point. Done a 10miler in 1:04:00

Never got to run on the track, and only got to do one IMRA race. Onwards to 2018 and keep improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Cartman78 wrote: »
    1) Don't get injured
    2) Don't get sick and end up in hospital again
    3) Sub 18 min 5k (PB = 18:39)
    4) 10k PB (Currently = 39:05)
    5) 5 mile PB (Currently 32:00 but haven't ran a lot of them really - the plan is to change that next year)

All the running goals are possible I think but I'd be happy if only 1 and 2 come to fruition - this year has been an absolute nightmare on a number of levels :(
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    Mid-year review and it ain't pretty :D

1) Don't get injured - actually doing ok on this one, being sensible about ramping up mileage/intensity and using the threadmill at least once a week seems to be working so far

2) Don't get sick and end up in hospital again - mega mega fail on this one, although to be fair to myself, I was probably referring to a recurrence of my asthma/brochial issues rather than fupping kidney stones.

3) Sub 18 min 5k (PB = 18:39) - haven't ran a 5K yet this year, was in decent shape in January but that all went t1ts up for about 10 weeks or so. I probably could run sub 19 mins now I'd say (ran 19:47 as part of a 5 miler last week) so it could yet be in scope later in the year

4) 10k PB (Currently = 39:05) - again, haven't ran a 10K yet this year. Plan is to run Bilboa AC 10K next month....not in PB shape right now but a sub-40 is possibly within range so that would be ok in the circumstances

5) 5 mile PB (Currently 32:00 but haven't ran a lot of them really - the plan is to change that next year) - I've morally but not officially achieved this one, might be running another 5 miler in a couple of weeks so will hopefully confirm it then

Well - what a weird year that was :cool:

1) Don't get injured - my blend of stretching, treadmill running and generally not being an idiot have resulted in a relatively injury free year. A few niggles here and there for sure but I haven't missed a training session or race due to injury which is a first for me I think

2) Don't get sick and end up in hospital again - apart from the kidney stones fiasco I've been fairly ok healthwise. Only 1 course of antibiotics, and maybe a couple of weeks where I didn't run outside so feel like I'm turning the corner on this one.

3) Sub 18 min 5k (PB = 18:39) - still no 5K race this year....not sure if I'll get one in at this stage...probably not quite in PB shape anyway tbh

4) 10k PB (Currently = 39:05) - an unexpected success in this one...ran 39:02 in Liscarroll back in August

5) 5 mile PB (Currently 32:00) - got this one as well, down to 30:51 in Mitchelstown also in August.

So a bit of a mixed bag really but definite green shoots - enjoyed and appreciated my running this year maybe more than any other time in my life so hopefully it's onwards and upwards in 2018 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

gypsylee wrote: »
    1. Sub 30 min 5km (currently 31.20)
    2. Sub 60 min 10km (currently 66 mins)
    3. Complete a half-marathon in June.

Mid- year review of my goals above:

1. Ran the 5km Great Run in 28.05 so happy days.
    2. Not there yet, 65 mins two weeks ago, on track to achieve by the end of the year
    3. Half marathon postponed to August but it will be done.

End of year review:

1. 28.05 min for 5 km is still my PB.
    2. Sub 60 min 10km - nearly got there, 60.38 mins at The Gingerbread Run. Delighted with that, will get the sub 60 next year.
    3. Half marathon - Rock & Roll Half in August. A big struggle mentally for me, finished in 2 hours 45 mins. Glad to have done it, not happy with the time. A sub 2 hour 30 mins will be achieved next year.

A good year's running. Glad to have got through without any injuries. Looking forward to 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

RayCun wrote: »
    • About 3000 miles should be doable
    • Keep up the S&C
    • Run some middle distance in the Gradeds
    • Actually race cross country in the autumn
    • Good half marathon in the autumn (had been thinking of Athlone:( )
    • PB in something (so if you see me entering 6.2km or 11 mile races, you'll know why:D )
    • yes - 3000 miles yesterday, probably 5000km by the end of the year
    • yes and no - I've a good morning routine, but I've been to the gym 3/4 times since the summer. Need to get back to the heavy weights.
    • No and no - track and XC races always end up getting pushed to one side because of road training. Will be running the Dublin Masters, but again that looks like being the only XC race of the season
    • autumn half was the Dublin race series half :rolleyes:. Waterford half marathon was a good race though. (except not flat enough :pac:)
    • yes - PBs at 4 mile (soft), 10 mile (more of a surprise), and half marathon (surprised at how old the previous one was)

all of which means that i'm about due for another injury... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Singer wrote: »
    1. Keep running. 3000 miles is a nice round number, 3333 miles even rounder :)

3000 miles is probably slipping away, but I got kind of close.
    2. Both times I got injured in 2016 were predictably around the time of big increases in intensity - so, no big increases in intensity.

Pretty much done. I've done 60+ mile weeks for the majority of the year, and 4 weeks just about getting into the 70s. No pyrrhic 90 mile weeks anyway :)
    3. I did a few fun running things in 2016 - my first parkrun, my first IMRA, a couple of races abroad, some enjoyable running around NYC and SF, my first (parkrun) pacing gig... continuing variation in running in 2017 would be great.

Maybe not as diverse as it could've been. Run The Line was pretty unique. I started the year with a double parkrun, which was fun. Joining the club has meant a bit more diversity on the session side. Mostly I just plodded from town to Swords though :)
    4. More racing. I did 9 all-out races in 2016, which is less than in 2015! I need to come to terms that not PBing in every race is ok, and that racing on its own has benefits.

I did slightly more races this year, though still no more than one a month really. I probably need to do more next year to get better at it.
    5. A few PBs would be nice. I really should PB in Raheny and Trim unless the weather is bad, as I have soft 5M and 10M PBs (I substantially beat my official PBs in the Fingal 10k and Dublin HM respectively). Not sure of the rest of the year's racing plan - I really like the idea of doing the HM around Donabate in September, so that's probably the target race for 2017.

I PBed at the mile, 5k, 5mile, 10k, 10mile, HM and marathon :)

5 mile and 10 mile are both probably the softest this year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

My second full year of concentrating only on running. Very enjoyable first year so hoping for more of the same in 2017.

My goals

1) Join a club
    2) Start and maintain a training log
    3) 10 miles sub 60 mins. January to May
    4) Cologne Marathon (October 1) PB currently 2.57.58

1) Done; Handy one
    2) Yes and maintained up to marathon race report. After that it is just reports of me sitting on the couch mainly.
    3) No unfortunately not. Within striking distance. I had targeted 3 10 mile races. I only ended up doing two due to illness. Current 10 mile pb is 1.01.23.
    5 mile pb is 29.59
    4) Yes all done and a new pb 2.53.06.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

1) Done; Handy one
    2) Yes and maintained up to marathon race report. After that it is just reports of me sitting on the couch mainly.
    3) No unfortunately not. Within striking distance. I had targeted 3 10 mile races. I only ended up doing two due to illness. Current 10 mile pb is 1.01.23.
    5 mile pb is 29.59
    4) Yes all done and a new pb 2.53.06.

Well done, man. Nice improvement. What was Cologne like, course wise and numbers and so on..... Have ya got a report anywhere?

EDIT: Just found your log and report. About to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    1. sub 25 5k
    2. sub 50 10k
    3. Complete my first HM. Don't mind what time I log, just doing it will be enough.
    4. Join a running club
    5. Volunteer at some races

current 5k PB is 28.07. To be honest, I only started running in April so I don't know what a realistic goal time would be, hence choosing 25mins.

1. Sub 25 5k - No Not only did this not happen, but a minor health issue means that I've actually gotten slower. I will be readjusting this goal to a 25:XX for 2018 and will be aiming to achieve this in a race I have already picked out in June
    2. Sub 50 10k No Funny enough, as my 5k time has gotten worse, my 10k has improved by 1min
    3. Complete my first HM Yes Injury and the mess that was the DCM half led to a poor time, but I did it nevertheless and have created a very easy opportunity for a PB in my next one
    4. Join a running club Yes Hands down, best move I ever made with regard to running
    5. Volunteer at some races Kind of I have become a parkrun regular and have also become a little athletics coach in my running club. Not races, but still giving back

All in all, I'm happy that I had a decent enough year. It was certainly the most consistent I've ever been with any form of fitness and I have really enjoyed it. I learned that even if I hadn't got injured, my goals were too unrealistic. More conservative goals and a focus on distance rather than speed (which I think suits me better) will be my focus.

Happy Christmas all

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

ISOP wrote: »
    22 5k
    45 10k
    1:50 Half
    4:00 Marathon

Agonisingly close to the 5k (22:19 still time to try and get this over Christmas!) and half marathon (1:50:42)
    Haven't ran a 10k in ages, so that is off the agenda, last one was 47:45
    The most frustrating thing for me is the marathon, best time was 4:17:50, I should be able to comforatbaly do it, but I just die in the last 4 miles, it really need to up the training mileage and work on S&C this year

I suppose I can't complain as I only started taking it seriously this time last year, my first parkrun 13 months ago took over 27 minutes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

ISOP wrote: »
    Agonisingly close to the 5k (22:19 still time to try and get this over Christmas!) and half marathon (1:50:42)
    Haven't ran a 10k in ages, so that is off the agenda, last one was 47:45
    The most frustrating thing for me is the marathon, best time was 4:17:50, I should be able to comforatbaly do it, but I just die in the last 4 miles, it really need to up the training mileage and work on S&C this year

I suppose I can't complain as I only started taking it seriously this time last year, my first parkrun 13 months ago took over 27 minutes

Made great progress over the year, if ya keep going the same way in 2018 you should do great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

-Stick to a plan and stay injury free. I was good at sticking to a plan for the first half of the year. Then I got injured and it all went to sh1t:o
    -Start logging to help with motivation. Started logging. Haven't been great for the past few months though. Will get back into it in the new year.
    -PB in 5k, 10k and half marathon distances. Not going to set myself specific goals just yet but as I haven't raced either in a while, I think 10k and half marathon PBs should be very achievable. 5k will be difficult. PB'd in 10k and half marathon. Only raced one 5k, a parkrun a few weeks ago, and unsurprisingly I missed out on a PB by over 30 seconds

Not a great year:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

1) Recover from injury.
    2) Get back running.
    3) Take it from there.
    1)Haven't recovered and don't think I ever will, but I've learned to manage it.
    2) Should break the 1000km mark for 2017 so I'm back running just not as much as I'd like.
    3) Did a 5km in December with a disappointing time 18.44 but was just happy to race again.

Advertisement