Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPhone 7 activation

• 07-12-2016 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hiya,

I got my daughter an iPhone 7 for Xmas but I'm just wondering about the activation of it. When I bought my partners iPhone 6, we had to call Vodafone even though the phone was unlocked and I don't want that to happen again. The new phone was got from Apple.ie. Would it need to be activated a few days before hand or will it instantly work? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

j_mo wrote: »
    Hiya,

I got my daughter an iPhone 7 for Xmas but I'm just wondering about the activation of it. When I bought my partners iPhone 6, we had to call Vodafone even though the phone was unlocked and I don't want that to happen again. The new phone was got from Apple.ie. Would it need to be activated a few days before hand or will it instantly work? Thanks.

The only activation it does is when you first power on, once it's connected to wifi or has a sim with data plan in it then there should be no issues at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

jonnycivic wrote:
    The only activation it does is when you first power on, once it's connected to wifi or has a sim with data plan in it then there should be no issues at all.

Cheers for that Jonny but bearing in mind what you said about the activation process, any idea what might have happened with the iPhone 6 activation. The sim card was active with an active data plan and would not work until we called Vodafone directly with the sim card number. I would not like that to happen on Xmas day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I got this in an email from vodafone for a business account but I'm sure it'd be similar for consumer

Your new Micro-Sim will be sent out with your new phone.
    To activate your new SIM you can simply text SIM followed by the below details to 50005. Your new SIM will be active within 1 hour.
    • Name
    • Number
    • New sim card number
    • Old SIM card number OR 3 of your most frequently dialled numbers
    • You will need to back up your phone contacts before activating your new SIM as this will not be done automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

If you bought from apple then it is ready to go just stick a sim in it any (network) sim will do.
    Does your daughter already have an iphone?
    if she does she can back it up in iTunes and then set the new one up with all her pics, apps etc.
    The phone will ask you if you want to set up using an existing back up (from a previous iphone) or as a new phone.

If you bought from apple then it is ready to go just stick a sim in it any (network) sim will do. Does your daughter already have an iphone? if she does she can back it up in iTunes and then set the new one up with all her pics, apps etc. The phone will ask you if you want to set up using an existing back up (from a previous iphone) or as a new phone.

Ya, it was bought from Apple directly and I don't want there to be a problem with the activation on Xmas morning. She's already got an older iPhone and she'll be backing that content up next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ya, it was bought from Apple directly and I don't want there to be a problem with the activation on Xmas morning. She's already got an older iPhone and she'll be backing that content up next week.

Well I will safely assume then that she already has a data plan etc on her current sim, is her current sim a nano sim? If it is then you won't have issues if it isn't then you need to get a nano sim and have her number transfered over to that :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cheers for that Jonny but bearing in mind what you said about the activation process, any idea what might have happened with the iPhone 6 activation. The sim card was active with an active data plan and would not work until we called Vodafone directly with the sim card number. I would not like that to happen on Xmas day.

Most likely a problem with the sim at the time.

Just buy, open, power on and it will activate itself.

Is her older phone using a nano sim?
    Maybe this was the issue as you had to do a sim swap rather than an activation.

She currently has the iPhone 5s so I don't think sim size should be a problem? She's definitely got data since she's mildly addicted to snapchat ☺ï¸I just wanted to avoid what happened when my partner got her iPhone 6 but after all your responses, I don't think I'll be a problem.

She currently has the iPhone 5s so I don't think sim size should be a problem? She's definitely got data since she's mildly addicted to snapchat ☺ï¸I just wanted to avoid what happened when my partner got her iPhone 6 but after all your responses, I don't think I'll be a problem.

I can't remember when the switch from micro to nano sim happened so just make sure you have a nano sim for the iPhone 6. Maybe have a look at the sim in the 5 and make sure it's nano as I have a suspicion it might be micro and you will have a problem xmas morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

The 5S uses a nano sim so it will be a straight swap (the gf went from a 5 to a 7 bought from Apple with no issues).

That's great, thanks for that guy's.

Advertisement