Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase query

Options
  • 08-12-2016 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi
    I have been renting since 14 and signed a two year lease in may 1 2015 for two years.
    Today my landlord gave notice to me that he wants to increase rent from Feb 2017 by 300
    My understanding is new rent rules mean rent can not be Increased in 24 months
    Does this mean our landlord can not Increase rent until may 17 (which is 24 months after we signed lease renewal)
    Also we recieved less than 90 days notice which I also believe is not right?
    Any advice on my rights would be great
    Anna

Comments

Was the rent increased when you signed the new lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Annahouse3

Was the rent increased when you signed the new lease?

No stayed the same as 2014 price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Annahouse3 wrote: »
    No stayed the same as 2014 price

Then the landlord could have increased the rent in 2016 (two years since lease began/last increase). Depending on the date in December the notice was given and the date in February the increase is to take effect, (first day of December, last day of February) the notice is exactly 90 days (31+31+28).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

If you signed a two year lease in may 15 the rent can't increase until may 17. The landlord can't just change the rules of the current lease for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If you signed a two year lease in may 15 the rent can't increase until may 17. The landlord can't just change the rules of the current lease for the craic.

Ah, sorry, missed the two year lease, ya, LL can't increase until term of lease expires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

You may find that the rent increase in May 17 will be more than €300...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Not if €300 brings it to market rate. He can't raise it above market rate anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

SteM wrote: »
    Not if €300 brings it to market rate. He can't raise it above market rate anyway.

What he means is that with the rate of increase at the moment, the market rate will be higher in May.

Advertisement