Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Middle aged men shouting in restaurants

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

MarkR wrote: »
    Nothing like women for generalizing. :rolleyes:

Well you would say that because you're a man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well you would say that because you're a man!
    I'm assuming he was being ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Was at such an event last week in Malahide.

I was out for the old romantic meal with herself - and a bunch of about 15 lads and 3 girls on a work night out. (god help the girls in this company, some of the lads too). The restaurant was fine dining - and it perplexed me that any work night out would be a place like that.

These lad were having "de craic" - fair play to them - but the company had more money than sense. Meals were coming out all done up in fancy ways - and the lads were pointing at them saying
    " what the **** is that"
    "lol lol lol lol lol lol "
    "jaysus where is me chips"

They genuinely sounded like they were in Dublin Zoo.

Then every course (this is a bad habit anyway) , but about 7/8 of them would get up for a smoke - as the courses went on they were knocking over glasses etc, to get out for their smoke or coke.

I had a nice game in my head of what they worked at - must be a mad workplace.

The language out of them was unreal. I'm no saint and use to that stuff from my younger years.

It didn't bother me that much - was funny at times. Felt sorry for some older couples right next to them.

I blame the boss and the restaurant -

In an ideal world
    The owner of company would keep manners on them
    The owner of restaurant would keep manners on them
    The owner of the restaurant would give a drink or gesture to tables around them

But we are Irish, don't complain much and had a great night anyway.

Was hillarious

"look how ****ing small me dinner is"

In my mind they worked in a tyre factory - a building site or a glue factory.

And , I have admiration for anyone in tough working environments.

But Jesus lads, a time and a place and there is always the right place.

The riff raff coming up from Coolock again?

When are yous going to build that wall on the southern border?

Flimpson wrote: »
    I'm assuming he was being ironic.

You can assume I was playing on that irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ted111 wrote: »
    The riff raff coming up from Coolock again?

When are yous going to build that wall on the southern border?

When they get the money to pay for it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

Meh. It can be annoying but I bet everyone has unwittingly been part of a group like that at some point in life. If you weren't willing to make a complaint then I would have went somewhere else instead.

Also, not complaining about stuff is not unique to Ireland. I don't know where that notion came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

eet fuk wrote: »
    Meh. It can be annoying but I bet everyone has unwittingly been part of a group like that at some point in life. If you weren't willing to make a complaint then I would have went somewhere else instead.

Also, not complaining about stuff is not unique to Ireland. I don't know where that notion came from.

Listening to the don of the group was like being aurally bludgeoned with a lump hammer. He seemed to be a property developer (with a plum coloured Three Stooges style toupee) and regaled stories of buying distressed apartments in Poland and his fleet of Audi company cars. All littered with language to rival Tarantino.

I wanted to move as did my male companion but the female with us did not want to "make a fuss". I can see why someone would not want to, but realistically the night is lost if you're stuck beside these buffoons anyway.

Best just fix up with the restaurant, tell them why you're going and cut your losses by getting the hell out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Best just fix up with the restaurant, tell them why you're going and cut your losses by getting the hell out of there.

... and then posting about it on Boards.ie.

Instead of, you know, letting it go and moving on with one's life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Op, AH isn't the place for criticism of men. Look at this thread. Half of it is "WOMEN DO IT TOO" .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

PucaMama wrote: »
    Op, AH isn't the place for criticism of men. Look at this thread. Half of it is "WOMEN DO IT TOO" .

To be flippant, half of the world are men. Half of the world are women.

So the statements are probably a) predictable and b) accurate ... ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

You kinda picked the worse time of year to complain about noise in restaurants. Anyway a buzzing restaurant is better than a quiet, formal and boring one.

I think what you mean is AH is not the place for generalisations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I think what you mean is AH is not the place for generalisations.

Have you been in AH before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Am I the only person who notices/gets annoyed by this?

Three of us went out last night for a very special occasion to the Trocadero on St Andrew Street.

Service was great, food plentiful, but the night ruined by the presence of ten men aged 30s-60s, booming out expletives the whole evening adjacent to our table. We could barely speak nor think.

Do restaurant managers have any protocol on dealing with this? If you complain you run the risk of causing a very nasty drunken row. And the atmosphere in all honesty lost from the outset.

Should you request to be moved? Or just leave?

In Summary I was in a very fancy restaurant (name plug!!) eating a very expensive meal and was inconvenienced by a few drunk guys enjoying themselves. The World is a cruel and unyielding place for little ould me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

You kinda picked the worse time of year to complain about noise in restaurants. Anyway a buzzing restaurant is better than a quiet, formal and boring one.

A quiet restaurant can be worse. I was in one about a year ago and as we arrived in there was only two tables taken. Both sat side by side. The waitress lead us up to the table right next to the other 2. There was 3 in our group and other two groups were couples. Music was on but was very low. Every time someone spoke the other tables could hear every word. It was a very strange uncomfortable meal.

• Advertisement

Have you been in AH before?

Yes, hence the reason I don't take it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A quiet restaurant can be worse. I was in one about a year ago and as we arrived in there was only two tables taken. Both sat side by side. The waitress lead us up to the table right next to the other 2. There was 3 in our group and other two groups were couples. Music was on but was very low. Every time someone spoke the other tables could hear every word. It was a very strange uncomfortable meal.

I think we can remind ourselves "I am paying!!" and ask for the kind of service we want.
    "Excuse me, could you turn down the music a little, please?"
    "Please could we have a table a little further away so that it's more private?"

I mean, it's not a crime to have requirements or preferences...especially when you are paying restaurant prices...they want you to have a good experience because that is how they make their living!! Ask!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

In Summary I was in a very fancy restaurant (name plug!!) eating a very expensive meal and was inconvenienced by a few drunk guys enjoying themselves. The World is a cruel and unyielding place for little ould me.

Sounds like you have form in what I'm complaining about.

Was out tonight in the Red Cow of in all places, never been before, definitely not my usual scene but communal office Christmas party.

Hundreds of people drinking since 5pm, great buzz and boisterous but no one trying to dominate the territory like the other night in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I remember going on a first date and the restaurant only had the two of us in it. I said, oh it's very quiet tonight, and he said, oh but that's romantic, isn't it? Cue awkward silence. It was dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I remember going on a first date and the restaurant only had the two of us in it. I said, oh it's very quiet tonight, and he said, oh but that's romantic, isn't it? Cue awkward silence. It was dreadful.
    You should have said "yeah but that's gonna make this break up really weird"

• Advertisement
Advertisement