If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony vs Hisense prospective purchase

Options
  • 08-12-2016 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭

Hi RS,

http://www.richersounds.ie/p-201882-bravia-kdl48wd653.aspx
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202001-50m3300.aspx

Looking at picking up either the Sony Bravia KDL48WD653 or the Hisense H50M3300 prior to Xmas (for a family member who's wary of straying beyond established brands).

The Hisense has several advantages, though it's a touch dearer too - 4K, more HDMI ports , Freeview HD versus standard Freeview (though I'd imagine the Sony has the right tuner on-board to deliver Saorview). I also realise the Sony is a shop collection only.

What I'm wondering in particular is which set delivers the better smart functionality, as I can certainly see that element being used extensively by tweens & teens. Is there much difference in the variety of built-in apps available & the speed at which one can navigate the interface / open apps / stream to the set? I guess what I'm asking is which set provides the more polished & seamless user experience on the smart side?

Two more questions - have you an idea as to how each panel looks when handling SD channels (through a Sky sub in my Sisters case). Also, do both sets come with your 6 year guarantee?

TIA. 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Hi RS,

Looking at picking up either the Sony Bravia KDL48WD653 or the Hisense H50M3300 prior to Xmas (for a family member who's wary of straying beyond established brands).

The Hisense has several advantages, though it's a touch dearer too - 4K, more HDMI ports , Freeview HD versus standard Freeview (though I'd imagine the Sony has the right tuner on-board to deliver Saorview). I also realise the Sony is a shop collection only.

What I'm wondering in particular is which set delivers the better smart functionality, as I can certainly see that element being used extensively by tweens & teens. Is there much difference in the variety of built-in apps available & the speed at which one can navigate the interface / open apps / stream to the set? I guess what I'm asking is which set provides the more polished & seamless user experience on the smart side?

Two more questions - have you an idea as to how each panel looks when handling SD channels (through a Sky sub in my Sisters case). Also, do both sets come with your 6 year guarantee?

TIA. 
    Yamanto,

TBH I would go for the Hisense every time - of course the main issue is the 4K which sets it way above the 653 - the 653 is a really excellent HiDef TV and it works really seamlessly but the Hisense, given a decent signal will significantly outperform it.

In terms of smart performance the Sony is possible a little slicker but I'm using a Hisense at the moment and I'm actually starting to warm to the smart functionality - its not amazing but it works really well and it has all the essential Netflix / Plex / Youtube etc apps and they just work, so I cant really knock it TBH..

Both are ready for Saorview no problem and both have our 6 year warranty included in the price - I'm using my own Hisense mainly in SD and its still cracking but TBH I haven't tried the 48WD653 in SD.

I don't think there is any contest ( and that's b4 you get to discuss the extra 2 inches...)..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭akasudonim

Hi RS,

TIA. 
    Yamanto,

TBH I would go for the Hisense every time - of course the main issue is the 4K which sets it way above the 653 - the 653 is a really excellent HiDef TV and it works really seamlessly but the Hisense, given a decent signal will significantly outperform it.

In terms of smart performance the Sony is possible a little slicker but I'm using a Hisense at the moment and I'm actually starting to warm to the smart functionality - its not amazing but it works really well and it has all the essential Netflix / Plex / Youtube etc apps and they just work, so I cant really knock it TBH..

Both are ready for Saorview no problem and both have our 6 year warranty included in the price - I'm using my own Hisense mainly in SD and its still cracking but TBH I haven't tried the 48WD653 in SD.

I don't think there is any contest ( and that's b4 you get to discuss the extra 2 inches...)..

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    hi John,

Am thinking of ordering the Hisense, could you offer any additional discount on it?

It's available for £380 at 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DUPUE4I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A2OAJ7377F756P&th=1

What do you think?  Would prefer deal with you guys, but wuold like to decrease the gap too...

Aka

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

akasudonim wrote: »
    Hi RS,

TIA. 
    Yamanto,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    hi John,

Am thinking of ordering the Hisense, could you offer any additional discount on it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DUPUE4I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A2OAJ7377F756P&th=1

What do you think?  Would prefer deal with you guys, but wuold like to decrease the gap too...

Aka
    Hey Aka.

Unfortunately we could not offer at the same price as Amazon only offer a 1 year manufacturer warranty with there screen whereas we give our VIP 6 year Guarantee included with ours.

If you also click the Estimate VAT, postage and packaging drop down bar on the left, below the their checkout tab it changes the VAT to the south of Ireland rate making the TV £389.49

So I would say that the extra £10 on our pricing for a 6 year guarantee is well worth it.

Let me know what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Thanks for the comprehensive answer John & I'll pass on your recommendation & proceed from there.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer John & I'll pass on your recommendation & proceed from there.
    No problem at all Yamanoto.

Let us know if we can help any further.

• Advertisement

Hi RS,

TIA. 
    Yamanto,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    hi John,

Aka
    Hey Aka.

Unfortunately we could not offer at the same price as Amazon only offer a 1 year manufacturer warranty with there screen whereas we give our VIP 6 year Guarantee included with ours.

If you also click the Estimate VAT, postage and packaging drop down bar on the left, below the their checkout tab it changes the VAT to the south of Ireland rate making the TV £389.49

So I would say that the extra £10 on our pricing for a 6 year guarantee is well worth it.

Thanks John, sorry for the delayed reply.  Agree the extra warranty is worthwhile, though I think I'm missing something as I think it's an extra £30 is it? - £419 v's £390 - unless I'm missing something obvious - or yours is now £400 - in which case I'd be happy to proceed..  happy to PM too, as I'll be looking for two probably.  Brother wants one too.  Thanks John.

Aka

Hi RS,

TIA. 
    Yamanto,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    hi John,

Aka
    Hey Aka.

Thanks John, sorry for the delayed reply.  Agree the extra warranty is worthwhile, though I think I'm missing something as I think it's an extra £30 is it? - £419 v's £390 - unless I'm missing something obvious - or yours is now £400 - in which case I'd be happy to proceed..  happy to PM too, as I'll be looking for two probably.  Brother wants one too.  Thanks John.

Aka
    Hey AKa.

Apologies for the delay.

You are right at the £30 difference.

If you are still interested drop me a PM with a contact number and i can give you a shout.

Hi RS,

TIA. 
    Yamanto,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    hi John,

Aka
    Hey Aka.

Aka
    Hey AKa.

Apologies for the delay.

If you are still interested drop me a PM with a contact number and i can give you a shout.
    Hi Kenny,

No prob.  I'll PM u.  Ta.

Aka

Hi RS,

TIA. 
    Yamanto,

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    hi John,

Aka
    Hey Aka.

Aka
    Hey AKa.

Apologies for the delay.

Hi Kenny,

No prob.  I'll PM u.  Ta.

Aka
    Hey Aka.

Just a little post to check if you got sorted in the end?

Hey Kenny,

Nah, just didn't make a decision yet, wondering if this is still best value 50" 4k or should I consider paying a little more for some of the better known brands - which I've been told would have better processing power (for HDR and upscaling), or is that bull?

Easy to see inthe shop the quality difference in some of the higher priced units when side by side - but not too concerned with at as when at home there are no others side by side to compare with!!  That being said if a little more € got next gen processing then I'd consider same.  

Whats your expert view Kenny?

Aka

• Advertisement

Hey Kenny,

Nah, just didn't make a decision yet, wondering if this is still best value 50" 4k or should I consider paying a little more for some of the better known brands - which I've been told would have better processing power (for HDR and upscaling), or is that bull?

Easy to see inthe shop the quality difference in some of the higher priced units when side by side - but not too concerned with at as when at home there are no others side by side to compare with!!  That being said if a little more € got next gen processing then I'd consider same.  

Whats your expert view Kenny?

Aka
    Hi Aka.

The Hisense are the best value for money that we stock and yes if willing/able to go up in budget there are better out there.

What sort of budget are you think?

If able to collect there is a much bigger selection as there are so many in store only at the moment.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.