Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance

Options
  • 08-12-2016 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Shopping around for home and bike insurance quotes. Anyone know of any particularly keen deals, to save us all a lot of ringing-around?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't know what they're like for bike insurance, but try JLT for home insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

don't know what they're like for bike insurance, but try JLT for home insurance.

Alliance for house insurance, no idea about bike insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

I have my bikes insured with http://bicycleinsurance.ie/ mainly because it worked out a lot cheaper than having them on my home insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Alliance for house insurance, no idea about bike insurance

To be clear Alliance is a broker. Allianz is an insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

lissard wrote: »
    I have my bikes insured with http://bicycleinsurance.ie/ mainly because it worked out a lot cheaper than having them on my home insurance.

This made me chuckle...

Not covered...

"2. Sonic Boom
    Damage or destruction directly occasioned by pressure waves caused by aircraft or other aerial devices traveling at sonic or supersonic speeds."

Nuclear war is out too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Be aware that the full value of your bike may be covered if it is taken from within the house. OTOH, if stolen from the garden, a bike-specific (low) limit may apply.

This made me chuckle...

Not covered...

"2. Sonic Boom
    Damage or destruction directly occasioned by pressure waves caused by aircraft or other aerial devices traveling at sonic or supersonic speeds."

Nuclear war is out too.

In there for a reason. It was obviously claimed for and paid for at some stage if it's now excluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

lissard wrote: »

They don't have 2017 on their drop-down menu for year of manufacture. And they're actually nearly €20 dearer than the AA quote on the home insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chuchote wrote: »
    They don't have 2017 on their drop-down menu for year of manufacture. And they're actually nearly €20 dearer than the AA quote on the home insurance.

It's only 2016 nothing has been made in 2017 yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

ted1 wrote: »
    It's only 2016 nothing has been made in 2017 yet

There are 2017 models being sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chuchote wrote: »
    There are 2017 models being sold.

Yes but they are made in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Be aware that the full value of your bike may be covered if it is taken from within the house. OTOH, if stolen from the garden, a bike-specific (low) limit may apply.
    Resurrecting this thread, as looking it this at the moment. Just on this second point, I can't see that in the policy documents or is that experience?

http://www.bicycleinsurance.ie/Pages/ViewDoc.aspx?ptype=p&did=26

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Resurrecting this thread, as looking it this at the moment. Just on this second point, I can't see that in the policy documents or is that experience?

http://www.bicycleinsurance.ie/Pages/ViewDoc.aspx?ptype=p&did=26

It strikes me, from reading your attachment that no loss from the open (garden) is covered on your policy. See the exclusions items 7 and 8 and also the securing methods for outbuildings. While it does not specifically mention outdoors, the wording regarding not being covered unless stored inside, etc has the insurer well covered there.

Btw, your policy is not a standard household policy so won't have the same level of cover.

The plan is block built shed, secured with sold secure gold for bikes chain and lock, to immovable object. My reading is that should meet the requirements of section 8? I'm just wondering an I missing something else? Or if anyone had experience of making a claim.

I did have insurance through the crowd that cycling ireland had a deal with a few years ago, but they stopped operating here and I never made a claim. I'm reluctant to go house insurance, as the loss of no claims would be more than seperate insurance.

The plan is block built shed, secured with sold secure gold for bikes chain and lock, to immovable object. My reading is that should meet the requirements of section 8? I'm just wondering an I missing something else? Or if anyone had experience of making a claim.

I did have insurance through the crowd that cycling ireland had a deal with a few years ago, but they stopped operating here and I never made a claim. I'm reluctant to go house insurance, as the loss of no claims would be more than seperate insurance.

The post you quoted references items left in the garden. Being in a shed and locked is not the same as in the garden. Different risk level.

How much is your ncd that it is more than the separate insurance? Seems odd to me.

I'll double check house insurance, but when I looked before it wasn't if you looked at a single years ncb, it was if you added the number of years to get back to where we were. But that was one bike v two this time.

I'll double check house insurance, but when I looked before it wasn't if you looked at a single years ncb, it was if you added the number of years to get back to where we were. But that was one bike v two this time.

Not all ncd will be eliminated with a claim. Some are protected or can have a step back condition.

Advertisement