Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not sure if I'm a suitable dog owner

• 08-12-2016 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hey all,

I want to adopt a dog but I'm sure what dog, if any dog is suitable. I work 9-5 everyday with an hour commute either side. My girlfriend works 3 days (7-5) during the week. We've an decent sized garden. The dog would be alone for maybe 5 hours max on the days that we both work.

Evenings and weekends would probably be the extent of the dogs activity which seems a little unfair to me. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I'd absolutely love to get one small dog, or even two for company. But we're out all day from 7.30am to around 6.30pm in the evenings, so I'm not sure how viable it would be to get one. Would it be cruel? If we were to get two pups together for instance, how long before they would be settled in enough to be left on their own for such long periods?

We have dogs in the houses on both sides of us, but there's usually someone in both houses during the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well dumping a dog in the garden will do no good; what's required really is to find a suitable adult dog who're used to be alone or low enough energy (which rules out certain breeds and all pups basically); if you reach out to the local rescues they should be able to advise what dogs they have that are suitable for the situation. It's not a case you can't have a dog but rather your selection is simply more limited in what's suitable (and don't be fooled by a cute pup unless you want to come home to everything shredded etc. and grow into a dog with mental problems about being alone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

well if you can get a dogwalker you'd be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Old dog who's used to it, and a dog walker. Plus effort on the weekends and evenings. Lots of good old dogs of low-energy breeds out there looking for homes, and they can get overlooked a bit. No harm in having a scout for something suitable.

Some older dog out there would be only too delighted to have a walk morning and evening and a soft warm bed to sleep in during the day.

Two pups together are a lot more work than one, tend to be harder to train etc. A pup might not be ready to be left alone during the day for years, maybe ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Firstly don't get a puppy...they simply cannot be left alone for that long. The dogs needs interaction, to pee and someone to tell him not to chew the house apart when you are gone. Getting a puppy and leaving it 10 hours a day is a recipe for disaster.

However, it is possible. I live alone with my two dogs and work 9-5. But I take good measures to make sure my dogs are not bored at home and are well exercised and looked after. I get up at 6.30am and bring the dogs for a walk. On this walk, I throw the ball for them so they are absolutely knackered by the time I leave for work. Two days a week I have someone come in and walk my dogs. And I bring them for at least an hours walk every evening. This has to be done 5 days a week....every week of the year! This seems easy to do, but after a long days work the last thing you might want to do is bring the dogs for an hour walk, so you do have to be committed.

Weekends are spent going to the beach, mountains, dog parks....basically I never bring my dogs to the normal spots that I would during the week. They get the same walk 5 days a week that when I do actually have the time to bring them somewhere new, I take them!

If possible, try organise a dog walker to come in every day or look into doggy daycares in your area. Even to put the dog in for the two days your girlfriend will not be there would make a huge difference.

In terms of dogs, look to a breed that do not have huge amounts of energy (lurchers, greyhounds etc). You will still need to walk them at least once a day but they are happy to spend 10 hours on the couch too. Do not get a puppy as I stated above. And if possible, it could be nice for the dog to get two dogs but please don't take this lightly. Two dogs are a lot of work (hell, one dog is a lot of work!) so don't think just because they have eachother it means you can skip this walk etc.

Visit your local rescue and speak to the people there. There are plenty of senior dogs looking for a home who would be happy to sit at home alone or perhaps have done that already and are used to being alone. They can advise on what breed suits you also.

Best of luck and do take your time making this decision. Its possible but you need 110% commitment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

A dog walker would be your best bet and rescuing an older dog, don't get a puppy as way to long to be left alone and certainly don't get two pups together ever - it's a recipe for disaster as theyll bond to each other and not to you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 PuppIreland

You could also try a doggy daycare for one or two days a week - our dog Toby loves it! He always comes back exhausted from playing with other dogs all day, so he's happy to just chill the following day.

Advertisement