Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need new Gym Runners Recommend

• 08-12-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

Anyone Recommend any trainers for the gym.looking for new ones to buy.for squatting and basic gym runner.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

thegame wrote: »
    Anyone Recommend any trainers for the gym.looking for new ones to buy.for squatting and basic gym runner.

If you want runners for squatting. Get something with a flat sole. Like Cons or a cheap version thereof.

Or you could get yourself some lifting shoes like Adipowers, Powerlifts, Romaleos etc. They have a solid sole, raised heel and you'd use them solely for squatting.

If I'm not squatting I just use the Converse-type flat sole runners for any lifting. Not ideal if you want to do any running but ideal for most lifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If you want runners for squatting. Get something with a flat sole. Like Cons or a cheap version thereof.

Or you could get yourself some lifting shoes like Adipowers, Powerlifts, Romaleos etc. They have a solid sole, raised heel and you'd use them solely for squatting.

If I'm not squatting I just use the Converse-type flat sole runners for any lifting. Not ideal if you want to do any running but ideal for most lifting.

Sorry for taking this off on a tangent but are they solely for squatting or can you use them for deadlifting?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Sorry for taking this off on a tangent but are they solely for squatting or can you use them for deadlifting?

I've seen them used for deadlifting (I think Clarence might do) but for most people it changes the mechanics and leverages a lot and probably not for the better in most cases.

Some may find they help but I would venture that they would be in the.minority.

I've seen them used for deadlifting (I think Clarence might do) but for most people it changes the mechanics and leverages a lot and probably not for the better in most cases.

Some may find they help but I would venture that they would be in the.minority.

Feck I wasn't aware. Buying powerlifting shoes I assumed they'd do for deadlifting too. Obviously not BP

Feck I wasn't aware. Buying powerlifting shoes I assumed they'd do for deadlifting too. Obviously not BP

It doesn't matter that they're not. I think they're worth it for squatting alone. Means you get a looooooong time out of them as well.

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter that they're not. I think they're worth it for squatting alone. Means you get a looooooong time out of them as well.

Have mine a good few months. Still like new. I'd imagine they'll last years. I don't have any flat sole runners. Do you think it's hindering me much wearing them deadlifting?

Have mine a good few months. Still like new. I'd imagine they'll last years. I don't have any flat sole runners. Do you think it's hindering me much wearing them deadlifting?

I can't say...everyone is different. It would hinder me getting in a good starting position on the first pull but that's just me.

Fwiw, what I usually deadlift in cost €8 in Penneys.

I deadlift in my socks

I can't say...everyone is different. It would hinder me getting in a good starting position on the first pull but that's just me.

Funny you should mention that cause the weakest part of my lift is probably getting it off the floor. Once I have it up 8" it's not too bad.
    Op sorry for derailing your thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

bluewolf wrote: »
    I deadlift in my socks

One of those people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

I actually wear my Adidas weightlifting shoes for all weight lifting exercises I do, including deadlifting.

For deadlifting, wearing the weightlifting shoes probably makes the lift harder because you have a very slight extra distance for the bar to travel (due to the higher heel) than you would if just wearing socks for example. It just depends on what you are doing it for - if you're focused on gaining muscle, making the lift harder probably isn't a bad thing; whereas if you are looking to increase the amount you can lift, it probably is a bad thing.

On another note, I find the weightlifting shoes very good for any lifts that I am standing up for as I find it gives me a more stable base than runners. i.e. Overhead press, standing dumbbell shoulder press, standing bicep curls, etc.

It's all down to personal preference really!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I like benching in the squat shoes :). The extra heel seems to make leg drive a bit easier.

I have an old pair of barefoot running shoes that I use for deadlifting, but if I'm doing squat and DL on the same day, I'll just bring my squat shoes and deadlift in my socks instead.

Zillah wrote: »
    One of those people.

In her gym , they call her 'Ewwww-wolf '

One of those people.

Awesome people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

What are people's opinion on the crossfit type shoes. Quite pricey but seem to be designed for lifting and general gym work. Gimmicky or very good all rounders??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I really don't get anyone buying special gym shoes. You can do your entire work out in your bare feet or your granny's slippers if you like. I used a pair of five-euro super light slip-ons from Penny's for a year because they fit in my bag really easily.

Why would you pay a penny more on something special?

I really don't get anyone buying special gym shoes. You can do your entire work out in your bare feet or your granny's slippers if you like. I used a pair of five-euro super light slip-ons from Penny's for a year because they fit in my bag really easily.

Why would you pay a penny more on something special?

I'd agree except for squatting. The stability and solidity of a lifting shoe is worth the few quid.

Advertisement