Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon seller - repair phone

Options
  • 08-12-2016 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭

I bought a LG G4 from a marketplace seller on Amazon Germany last March. For the last 1-2 months the battery life on my phone is drained by Google Play Services. I have tried various troubleshooting steps and a factory reset which seemed to work at first but the problem came back after a week or two.

The phone has a 1 year warranty so I contacted the Amazon seller detailing the problem and they offered to repair the phone and said it would take 4-6 weeks.

Firstly, can they actually repair it? It's not just as if the battery needs replacing. It seems to be some software issue.
    Can I insist on a refund? I don't particularly want to be without my phone for 4-6 weeks and I am dubious as to if and how they are going to repair it. Would I be better off trying to send it to LG instead to get it repaired?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Is software covered under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭VG31

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Is software covered under warranty?

It's not something I've installed. Google Play Services comes preinstalled on the phone. You can't remove it (there is some way but it requires root and would break the phone as every Google application needs it to run).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

VG31 wrote: »
    It's not something I've installed. Google Play Services comes preinstalled on the phone. You can't remove it (there is some way but it requires root and would break the phone as every Google application needs it to run).

If it comes pre installed on the phone, isn't that part of the spec for this phone?

davo10 wrote: »
    If it comes pre installed on the phone, isn't that part of the spec for this phone?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Maybe contact LG and see what they say before making any decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Google Play Services knackering your battery life doesnt necessarily mean its the root cause.

Apps access phone functions such as location from the play services package. So it gets the "blame" in some cases for the actions of other rogue apps.

Diagnosing whats making calls to it too frequently isn't easy though.

The Google Play Services battery drain problems appeared a few months after I got the phone. It's not as if it was there from the start.

Have you done a full factory reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If you did a factory reset and the problem reoccurred it could easily be an app you installed that is dragging info out of play services causing the spike. Reset it and do not reinstall the whole bunch of apps. Do them in batches to see what is causing the drain.

If you did a factory reset and the problem reoccurred it could easily be an app you installed that is dragging info out of play services causing the spike. Reset it and do not reinstall the whole bunch of apps. Do them in batches to see what is causing the drain.

I did consider doing that however after I did the factory reset I reinstalled all my apps and the problem took a week or two to come back. I suppose there's no harm trying it again though.

• Advertisement

well thats the first thing they will do. if its a software issue then generally software will fix it.

Advertisement