Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Future of Windows on phones

• 08-12-2016 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I predicted that eventually Windows on PCs and on phones would eventually converge into a single OS able to run every app, but I had it backwards - I originally thought we'd get a Surface 'phone' running an Intel chip. But it seems we're going to be getting the opposite:

http://www.windowscentral.com/surface-phone-windows-10-arm

Very, very interesting!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

It's very early to tell where this is going. What we say was a tech. demo - I'm waiting until actual devices are announced.

Also, if a phone or tablet comes out that can run the older apps, as well as the new - what does that change?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

theothernt wrote: »
    It's very early to tell where this is going. What we say was a tech. demo - I'm waiting until actual devices are announced.

Also, if a phone or tablet comes out that can run the older apps, as well as the new - what does that change?

Well look, here's full Windows 10 running on a Snapdragon 820:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaSmZzo3Y_c

At the end there you can see it firing up Photoshop and running pretty well. Now an S820 is fairly common processor, but by next year we'll have the 835 in market, which should be even higher performance.

So we will very likely be able to buy a Windows 10 mobile device, possibly even a Surface Mini, that'll run as a Windows 10 phone normally, but be able to connect via Continuum to a monitor and become a full fledged PC. Continuum is already pretty handy, but being able to run every single Windows 10 program and app? That's amazing. That'll be a huge deal for enterprise.

What it won't change is the phone app situation directly, because it's not like people are creating x86 apps that are suitable for phone usage.

I'm not going to say that this development is going to 'save' Windows phones.

I believe this instead has the potential to create the next paradigm of devices, a completely converged phone-tablet-laptop-PC (that could even run Xbox games) all in one device.

At the very least, this is going to mean we'll be able to buy small form factor tablets with superb battery life and cheap prices that can double up as full-on PCs.

In some sort of magical world, we'd get a Surface phone using this technology, Microsoft would buy Bluestacks, and we'd have native Android app emulation.

Advertisement