Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't decide

Options
  • 08-12-2016 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

How do ye all decide what tattoo ye want to get ?

I know I want another tattoo but I just can't think of anything suitable ha and I've been thinking about it for awhile now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Flashes of inspiration, and when you know, you know! :D
    I know that's vague, but it's honestly how they come to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Star Lord wrote: »
    Flashes of inspiration, and when you know, you know! :D
    I know that's vague, but it's honestly how they come to me!

Ha cheers , hope something comes to me quick I'm getting impatient lol

Think il get one of those voodoo teddy bears, has anyone here seen one done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If voodoo teddy bears are special to you then go for it. Just remember, it's not like choosing a T-shirt... Someone it going to use a needle penetrating your skin at an alarming rate in order to deposit ink on a layer of dermis below the outer layer of skin, which is intended to be permanent...

In other words, chose wisely and put a lot of effort into choosing a design, a style and an artist...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    If voodoo teddy bears are special to you then go for it. Just remember, it's not like choosing a T-shirt... Someone it going to use a needle penetrating your skin at an alarming rate in order to deposit ink on a layer of dermis below the outer layer of skin, which is intended to be permanent...

In other words, chose wisely and put a lot of effort into choosing a design, a style and an artist...

I understand how it works , it won't be my first tattoo. And no voodoo bears aren't special to me but I think they look cool.

I understand what your saying tho , maybe in 10 years time I mightn't think it looks so cool.

My mind isn't made fully made up yet tho if I'm honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I think a lot of people overthink tattoos.

Hear so many people say they'd love one for the past ten years but can't think of what to get.

If you like something, get it, don't worry what it'll look like when you're 60 or whatever.

Lots of people don't put enough thought in either though, as evidenced by the upswing in tattoo removal places.

I know with mine, that I won't regret them, as I let the ideas distill for a while after I have them, ensure that it's what I want. If I still like the idea a few months later, chances are I'll still like it years down the line. Or I may have thought of some way of doing it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

For anyone getting a first tattoo and undecided, for what my opinion is worth, I think you can't beat celtic tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Lots of people don't put enough thought in either though, as evidenced by the upswing in tattoo removal places.

I know with mine, that I won't regret them, as I let the ideas distill for a while after I have them, ensure that it's what I want. If I still like the idea a few months later, chances are I'll still like it years down the line. Or I may have thought of some way of doing it differently.

I have 6 Pokemon tattoos. I may look stupid to some at 60, but I'll still love Pokemon so fcuk em.

So I finally decided what I wanted and I made the app.

But one thing I'm paranoid about. I showed the tattoo artist what I wanted and he told me hes going to change it up a bit but will he do that in front of me ? I don't really want it changed much tbh

• Advertisement

What you showed him may not have been 100% suitable to being tattooed, and may need minor tweaks. He'll probably do it in advance, or may do it on the fly while actually carrying out the tattoo. If you're unsure, just ask him what changes he's going to make!

What you showed him may not have been 100% suitable to being tattooed, and may need minor tweaks. He'll probably do it in advance, or may do it on the fly while actually carrying out the tattoo. If you're unsure, just ask him what changes he's going to make!

Well the picture I showed him was already a tattoo, it's a girls face with stitched lips and stuff but he said he's going to use a different face and just draw the stuff on , I'm just afraid I won't like his version

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Well the picture I showed him was already a tattoo, it's a girls face with stitched lips and stuff but he said he's going to use a different face and just draw the stuff on , I'm just afraid I won't like his version

Hey rottie 11, the image you showed him is someone else's design... its not really ethical to copy it 100%. The style you are looking for is well established however & there are plenty of examples of similar work, so producing a similar design shouldn't bee too difficult.

However, in my opinion, your tattoo artist should be able to illustrate to you what he intends to do before applying it... if that's what you want. if he's gonna make changes, he should be able to describe or illustrate them to you & if you're not satisfied with the design, don't go ahead with it.

Hey rottie 11, the image you showed him is someone else's design... its not really ethical to copy it 100%. The style you are looking for is well established however & there are plenty of examples of similar work, so producing a similar design shouldn't bee too difficult.

However, in my opinion, your tattoo artist should be able to illustrate to you what he intends to do before applying it... if that's what you want. if he's gonna make changes, he should be able to describe or illustrate them to you & if you're not satisfied with the design, don't go ahead with it.

I understand Id be copying someone else's so I decided to leave out the hand and only put one rose instead of 2.

But it's just the way he said he'll get a difervent face and draw the stuff on I don't like. How about if I don't like the face he decides to use.

I know there's a great chance il still like it but what happens on the day if I go in and am not happy with it ? I've given a Deposit already

Tell your tattoo artist exactly what you have said here... let them know you want to be assured of the design before committing it to skin...

Tell your tattoo artist exactly what you have said here... let them know you want to be assured of the design before committing it to skin...

Cheers ya I'm not agreeing to it unless I'm 100% happy with it

Well I got my tat done today anyway. It Was a lot sorer than I remember from last one lol

Couldn't be happier with it tho.

One question about after care , I have the cream but do I have to wash the tattoo every time I'm putting it on ?

Yeah you should wash it gently with some mild anti-bacterial soap, and pat it dry (kitchen paper works best for this I find) making sure not to rub. Then you can apply the cream and gently massage it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Any pics?

Yeah you should wash it gently with some mild anti-bacterial soap, and pat it dry (kitchen paper works best for this I find) making sure not to rub. Then you can apply the cream and gently massage it in.

Cheers but I've to back to work tomorro so will the cream just rub off when I've a hoodies over it ?

• Advertisement

Any pics?

Il try take one it's hard tho ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Looks good man, do you mind me asking who did it?

Looks good man, do you mind me asking who did it?

Sound. Metal urges in tralee

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Cheers but I've to back to work tomorro so will the cream just rub off when I've a hoodies over it ?

You (lightly) massage it into the skin, so it's in the skin rather than just sitting on it, so it should be alright. If your clothing is rubbing against it, that could irritate it, so if possible, you could put a breathable bandage over it to avoid that irritation.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 doyler55

If you found the clothes your father was wearing in 1960 would put them on going out this weekend? Tattoos go out of fashion just like clothes do folks choose whisely because in the very near future you will regret it. Maybe a personal tattoo like the name of a good friend that passed away or family member things like that. I got a tribal tattoo a few years back I think about 8years ago to be exact and iv just started the process of getting rid of it and oh man does it hurt. It's much worse than getting it on I tell ya

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

doyler55 wrote: »
    If you found the clothes your father was wearing in 1960 would put them on going out this weekend? Tattoos go out of fashion just like clothes do folks choose whisely because in the very near future you will regret it. Maybe a personal tattoo like the name of a good friend that passed away or family member things like that. I got a tribal tattoo a few years back I think about 8years ago to be exact and iv just started the process of getting rid of it and oh man does it hurt. It's much worse than getting it on I tell ya

That is total bull****. A tattoo does not "go out of fashion" the idea of a tattoo shouldn't be a statement of fashion either, it's a personal meaning to the person it's inked on. Your own experience of changing your mind on a tribal tattoo (which are still incredibly popular..) does not make that so.

Advising the only tattoos that should be gotten are the names of dead people is ludicrous also, we're not walking, talking headstones. Tattoos are art and for expression. Not fashion for Christ sake. Daith piercings are extremely popular today, but in a few months no one might care for them, will I take mine out? No.

I've got a Pokemon sleeve in the works, if Pokemon stops production will I get my tattoos removed? No. This kind of false spread of information is what scares people off tattoos.

doyler55 wrote: »
    I got a tribal tattoo a few years back I think about 8years ago to be exact and iv just started the process of getting rid of it and oh man does it hurt. It's much worse than getting it on I tell ya

Sounds like you made a bad decision... Personally, I wouldn't put anything on my body without careful consideration... I have a couple of tattoos and planning another.

It's peeling after 3 days ? Is that normal and will I keep putting cream on

• Advertisement

Yes, it's absolutely normal, and yes you should keep putting cream on it.

Did the tattooist give you any aftercare instructions at all?

Advertisement