Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best supportive / comfortable boots for hunting

• 08-12-2016 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there, my father recently had a hip operation and all is fine but he can be stiff and often has pains in his feet which i think is from wearing your run of the mill cheap wellies with no support.

Im looking to get him a pair of decent comfortable boots/wellies to wear whens hes shooting or just out walking through fields with the dogs. Price doesnt really matter, i just want to get the right pair! These boots will get abused, rough terrain, climbing fences and walking through streams etc. Ive done some research and have seen brands like Le Chameau, Dubarry Galway boot but i dont know if they are more of a fashion label to be seen in or how pratical they are? A lot of people recommend the Meindel Dovre Extreme but they seem to only go to the ankle so not sure if they would be any use.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Muck boots. The first and last word.

They are warm, waterproof, good grips, long wearing, tough wearing, etc.

I have two pairs at the moment, one for 5 years and they're still in as good condition today as when i bought them.

Meindel and other such brands are all well and good for boots, but not if it's a wellington you're looking for. I've also owned Hunter and Le Chameau, but found the Hunter cold and poor grips, and the Le Chameau were not what i'd expect for the money i paid incliding the sole cracking on them.

Less than impressed.

Have a serious look at the Muck boots. I've yet to hear anyone say a bad word about them, merely that they'd prefer something else (due to personal taste).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

A wellington boot will not be as stable as a lace up boot, then again if he has had a hip replacement , tieing laces may cause a dislocation.Might be worth talking to the physiotherapist/orthopaedic surgeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DubPredator

Mindle army pro or army gore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Bestard mountain boots.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Muck boots are like a brand new pair of runners every time you put you're feet into them,

Snug and comfy :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Durninnn

Thank you all so much for your responses, I've ordered a pair of Muck Boots, they look like exactly what he needs! Thanks for the advice, I'd never have come across them otherwise!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You won't regret buying them. I hope your Father has a speedy recovery and can get out and enjoy them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Tikka391

Hi there lads, sorry for jumping in on this thread,
    But after reading this thread I had a look at the muck Boots website, with a view to maybe purchasing. There seems to be a huge choice of boots how do you go about narrowing it down any suggestions on which of those boots are light but with gold ankle support. I noticed the last year or so my ankles and knees getting very sore out shooting now. It's a sign old age is creeping in.
    And I'm only 40!!!!

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Durninnn

I was pretty confused aswell as i was reading reviews about some of the boots being only suitable for fields and then they could be slippy on concrete. I went with the Chore-hi cool as its meant to be the best all rounder

I emailed the muckboot customer support and they got back to me within a day

"Thank you for your email. Having read your email with regards a boot to suit your Dad any of the boots from the Chore range are a good choice for farmyard work, the Chore Hi Cool is probably best as is non slip. Also if hes prone to his feet over heating the xpress cool feature of the Chore Hi Cool is great for keeping moisture away from the foot.Another very popular boot with farmers is the Muckmaster Hi, which also comes in a mid height boot. The Muckmaster has that extra grip and rugged sole that makes it a sturdy heavy boot."

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Tikka391

Durninnn wrote: »
    I was pretty confused aswell as i was reading reviews about some of the boots being only suitable for fields and then they could be slippy on concrete. I went with the Chore-hi cool as its meant to be the best all rounder

I emailed the muckboot customer support and they got back to me within a day

"Thank you for your email. Having read your email with regards a boot to suit your Dad any of the boots from the Chore range are a good choice for farmyard work, the Chore Hi Cool is probably best as is non slip. Also if hes prone to his feet over heating the xpress cool feature of the Chore Hi Cool is great for keeping moisture away from the foot.Another very popular boot with farmers is the Muckmaster Hi, which also comes in a mid height boot. The Muckmaster has that extra grip and rugged sole that makes it a sturdy heavy boot."

Many thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement