Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life insurance smoker vs non smoker

• 08-12-2016 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭

I am in the process of buying a property with my better half and want to get a joint life insurance policy. I smoked socially (once or twice a month) for several years but with a new baby have stopped and am now off them 3 months. Speaking to a broker he has told me I have to be off them 12 months and emphasised that insurance companies are very strict and have ways of discovering when you last smoked.

So my question is if I were to sign up now when I am technically a smoker and change this status in 9 months would I expect to pay a much higher dividend than if I simply wait 9 months and sign up as a non smoker?

Appreciate any advice!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I can't see that you've any choice OP. Effect cover as a smoker now (it's not a good idea to lie) and ask for a review and premium reduction in 9 months.

I've seen this done and it's straightforward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Cheers, would the premium reduce to non smoker level or will there still be a loading, would it be better to wait 9 months and enter into a policy as a non smoker?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cheers, would the premium reduce to non smoker level or will there still be a loading, would it be better to wait 9 months and enter into a policy as a non smoker?

There's a rate reduction to non smoker levels.

Chances are you'd be better off keeping the existing policy, as you'll be a year older when the review is due.

p.s. Diary it forward as it's up to you to inform the insurer.

Advertisement