Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen sink hot water tap not turning off

Options
  • 08-12-2016 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi - the hot water tap in my apartment kitchen is giving trouble. It was running slow for a bit and now when it's turned on it's difficult to turn off, so I've stopped using it. I don't know if this means it needs a new part like a washer or if the whole thing need to be replaced.

I'm not sure what the type is but it's a standard enough one with hot and cold knobs.. the attached pic will hopefully give an idea.

Does anyone know what the problem might be, and if it's expensive to get a plumber to fix / replace?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

You need to turn off supply and take apart the assembly. You will find it has a slight coating on the moving parts., especially the reverse spiral and barell that open and close the tap.

Clean it all up with a cotton bud/ kitchen scourer and alcohol or some other benign cleaner. Put a light coating of petroleum jelly on it and reassemble.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

or replace it i think you can pick them up in woodies for a little over a tenner.
    depends on how much wear there is on it

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

Ok I'm not much good at this sort of thing, so rather than risk flooding the place I think it'd be best for all concerned that I get someone that knows what they're doing.

Is it something a handyman could do? Can anyone recommend a handyman or plumber that would do a small job like this in the city centre?

Advertisement