Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Glenn RIP

Options
  • 08-12-2016 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭

John Glenn the first American to orbit the earth has died at the age of 95. John Glenn was one of the original mercury 7 astronauts.

John Glenn always seemed to be the more famous out of him and Alan Shepard. I mean Alan shepherd was the first American in space but I suppose Alan Shepard did land on the moon but John Glenn did fly aboard the space shuttle.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sail among the stars Mr Glenn. A brave man to orbit the Earth back in '62. Back into space in '98 aged 77 - what a feat!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

God speed John Glen, a true pioneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    John Glenn always seemed to be the more famous out of him and Alan Shepard. I mean Alan shepherd was the first American in space but I suppose Alan Shepard did land on the moon but John Glenn did fly aboard the space shuttle.

Glenn was far more famous than Shepard in the 1960s. It's difficult to say why considering the fact that Shepard was the first to go up in a Mercury rocket but Glenn became a household name around the world when he did those few orbits. Shepard did as you say walk on the moon (Apollo 14) but he was in the third crew to do so so it wasn't such a big deal and Glenn was always the more famous of the two.

It might have been a personality thing in the way for example that after Apollo 11, Buzz Aldrin cultivated a far bigger media profile for himself than Neil Armstrong.

Advertisement