Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banoffee pie recommendations

Options
  • 08-12-2016 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on making banoffee pie. Plan on layering ground digestives with bananas followed by spooning boiled carnation condensed milk & topping with cream. I'm just wondering if this sounds right and if it's ok to use cans of condensed milk dated 2012* & how long to boil?
    Thanks

* I will make an informed adult decision on using the cans based on cop-on, experience and feed-back. I will not hold Boards.ie responsible for any replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Moved to main Food forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Hi, it sounds like your recipe is a banoffee pie rather than a cheesecake. I can't offer advice on the condensed milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Sounds like a banoffee to me too unless there is a layer of cheesecake there somewhere you haven't mentioned.

I am very very easygoing about dates on stuff but for the sake of less than 2 euro I would be buying a new tin of milk, it might be fine but I wouldn't waste the electricity boiling it for hours to then discover it wasn't at it's best.

I'd be more inclined to open the tin and if fine use it in another recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sweetened condensed milk should be boiled for 2 hours,
    But be aware it will make shíte of your pot, so you could just buy the already boiled sweetened condensed milk (caramel) and use that, however I find it is more viscous (runny) than when you boil it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks for the replies and yes you are correct - it's a banoffee pie (I've corrected original post). I think I'll bin the cans & buy fresh.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Logo wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies and yes you are correct - it's a banoffee pie (I've corrected original post). I think I'll bin the cans & buy fresh.
    Thanks
    I always boil three or four cans of condensed milk at a time and keep them for Banoffee emergencies! 😀 Just use an old pan and keep them well covered in water.The ready made caramel is very sweet.
    Ginger biscuits are lovely in the base instead of digestives.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Turtle001

Key thing when you are boiling the tins of condensed milk is to make sure that the water level does not fall below the tops of the tins. If it does then a nasty explosion may follow.

Aside from that banoffee pie is lovely, especially when left to settle in the fridge for a while with the cream on top!

Advertisement