Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How difficult is studying Medicine?

Options
  • 08-12-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I have decided to apply for Medicine in the Dublin colleges for next September. I doubt I'll get in but on the off chance, I would like to try and find out a few things.
    * How hard is the HPAT?
    * How difficult is the course? I've heard mixed reports but am thinking the people who don't find it really hard must be really intelligent. I would have above average intelligence but I'm far from a genius.
    * Roughly how many hours per week will classes and studying take? I'm a single mother of a toddler.
    Looking forward to hearing any opinions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Graduated a good few years ago now, but I'll throw in my two cents. No HPAT for me though.

There's a lot of work involved, but nothing over and above is necessary I think. Go to all the lectures, study 1-2 hours every day and a few hours at the weekend and you'll be grand. I never saw anyone struggle who showed up all the time, and was seen in the library regularly. The exact hours will depend on your course (ie number of years). The 4 year schemes are a bit more intense by necessity, and when you're on clinical rotation, you should consider it a full-time commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DaisyDuke22

Graduated a good few years ago now, but I'll throw in my two cents. No HPAT for me though.

There's a lot of work involved, but nothing over and above is necessary I think. Go to all the lectures, study 1-2 hours every day and a few hours at the weekend and you'll be grand. I never saw anyone struggle who showed up all the time, and was seen in the library regularly. The exact hours will depend on your course (ie number of years). The 4 year schemes are a bit more intense by necessity, and when you're on clinical rotation, you should consider it a full-time commitment.

Thanks Icemancometh. From your experience it definitely sounds manageable. If I stayed behind and studied in the library, I should get the work covered. I'll be 35 in September, was there anyone that old in your year? Part of me is wondering if I should look at something else as if I go the GP route, I'd be about 45 when I qualify and even older if I go the Consultant route

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Thanks Icemancometh. From your experience it definitely sounds manageable. If I stayed behind and studied in the library, I should get the work covered. I'll be 35 in September, was there anyone that old in your year? Part of me is wondering if I should look at something else as if I go the GP route, I'd be about 45 when I qualify and even older if I go the Consultant route

Yeah there was a few about that age, but not anyone much older. I think it's becoming much more common with the graduate entry schemes to have doctors qualifying in their late 30s and early 40s though. I wouldn't start thinking about your long term options just yet. If you asked everyone I started with what they'd do, I doubt many of us ended up where we thought we'd be. One of the good things about medicine is that you'll have plenty of options once you're qualified. Good luck!

Advertisement