Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what does a fitbit do?

• 08-12-2016 11:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

i am seeing fitfits advertised and talked about everywhere lately. What do they actually do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Differs a little depending on the model you buy. Generally they count your steps, give a rough estimate of calories you burn andtrack your sleep. Some can measure your heart rate. Count flights of stairs climbed.

You sync it with your phone and/or computer and it lays all the information out nicely for you.

It becomes a bit of a game to meet daily and weekly targets. I love mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Utah wrote: »
    Differs a little depending on the model you buy. Generally they count your steps, give a rough estimate of calories you burn andtrack your sleep. Some can measure your heart rate. Count flights of stairs climbed.

You sync it with your phone and/or computer and it lays all the information out nicely for you.

It becomes a bit of a game to meet daily and weekly targets. I love mine

What model have you got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I've used a Fitbit Zip for 18 months. It's like a pedometer that syncs to your phone. I use mine with the MyFitnessPal app to work out how many calories a day I am eating and burning off through walking/running. I also do step challenges to keep motivated. I can't believe I've used it for so long, thought it was gimicky but I've got great value from it.

Im looking at getting the charge 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Is there anything out there that you can wear while playing sport? Rugby in my case

• Advertisement

Beau wrote: »
    Is there anything out there that you can wear while playing sport? Rugby in my case
    Best to avoid the wrist band ones for rugby. The Fitbit zip is a bit bigger than a two euro coin and could clip onto your underwear band. It shouldn't fall off, but you could clip it next to your skin while playing so you don't lose it.

Best to avoid the wrist band ones for rugby. The Fitbit zip is a bit bigger than a two euro coin and could clip onto your underwear band. It shouldn't fall off, but you could clip it next to your skin while playing so you don't lose it.

Slip in it to your jockstrap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

The smaller fitbit is usually used as a pedometer. If you want it to track workouts a bit more, the wrist one is better. If you are just exercising, the iphone can do pretty much the same thing as a fitbit though. A couple updates ago they added a health app that can't be removed and can also connect with an iwatch. I've never had an android so not sure if they have something equivalent to the fitbit as well. If you have an iphone, I don't really see the point in getting a fitbit if you're just using it for the pedometer.

jennyjoy wrote: »
    The smaller fitbit is usually used as a pedometer. If you want it to track workouts a bit more, the wrist one is better. If you are just exercising, the iphone can do pretty much the same thing as a fitbit though. A couple updates ago they added a health app that can't be removed and can also connect with an iwatch. I've never had an android so not sure if they have something equivalent to the fitbit as well. If you have an iphone, I don't really see the point in getting a fitbit if you're just using it for the pedometer.

But you can't really go for a run with your smartphone can you, I think Fitbit is popular due to design

jennyjoy wrote: »

I keep my phone in my bag, on my desk etc so it's not on me all
    the time in the same way as the Fitbit is. So my phone is useless as a pedometer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

liam7831 wrote: »
    But you can't really go for a run with your smartphone can you, I think Fitbit is popular due to design
    You certainly can. I run with my iPhone SE in my hip pocket. How else could I record my run on Strava? When I'm buying running gear I make a point of getting shorts with a suitable pocket.

This doesn't work so well if you favour form-fitting athletic gear that doesn't have hip pockets, but there's always the option of an armband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You certainly can. I run with my iPhone SE in my hip pocket. How else could I record my run on Strava?

This doesn't work so well if you favour form-fitting athletic gear that doesn't have hip pockets, but there's always the option of an armband.

Or small rear zip pocket on running jacket, have my old moto g for the same use case

You certainly can. I run with my iPhone SE in my hip pocket. How else could I record my run on Strava? When I'm buying running gear I make a point of getting shorts with a suitable pocket.

Good for you, I have an iPad, may just strap it to my arm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Strap it to ur back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

An iPad isnt a phone but you already knew that :rolleyes:

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Well done, an iPad isnt a phone

Who said I wanted a phone, was just going to use it to listen to music 😉

Who said I wanted a phone, was just going to use it to listen to music 😉

You cant listen to music with a Fitbit either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No doubt Apple manufactures a harness so that you can strap an iPad to the small of your back. ;)

But, in fairness, your comment in post #10 was about running with a smartphone, not an iPad. And the truth is lots of people run with smartphones. I have thought about getting a fitbit or similar, and the main reason I haven't is that there doesn't seem to be any good answer to the question "what will it do that my smartphone won't"? There are contexts in which a dedicated fitness device has advantages over a smartphone - swimming, most obviously - but I don't think running is one of them.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    You cant listen to music with a Fitbit either

I have a Fitbit Blaze plays music perfectly well for me .....

No doubt Apple manufactures a harness so that you can strap an iPad to the small of your back. ;)

But, in fairness, your comment in post #10 was about running with a smartphone, not an iPad. And the truth is lots of people run with smartphones. I have thought about getting a fitbit or similar, and the main reason I haven't is that there doesn't seem to be any good answer to the question "what will it do that my smartphone won't"? There are contexts in which a dedicated fitness device has advantages over a smartphone - swimming, most obviously - but I don't think running is one of them.

Swimming is a big one and the "always on me" element. I bought a MiBand 2 (recommend for anyone thinking of a fitbit as is lower cost and can "upgrade" if you like it).

Primary reasons are
    1. I rarely take it off whereas phone can be left down, charging usually at home/in work
    2. It has the time!!! I actually never realised I missed having a watch
    3. You really do forget it is there
    4. Heartrate monitor is a nice gimmick

Couldnt gym or run without music through so the phone comes with me as well!

• Advertisement

How much music can it hold? as far as i can see it lets you control music only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It doesn't play music. You still need your phone on you.

You sure you have a blaze? :rolleyes:
    Im looking at getting the charge 2

Mellor wrote: »
    It doesn't play music. You still need your phone on you.

You sure you have a blaze? :roll eyes:

It's for my other half as I only got blaze as a pressie from parents so don't know much about um

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I have a charge HR and I really like it.

Don't get too hung up on it but it's enjoyable to sync up your activities and sleep.

You can log food on it too. It motivates you to get up every hour and walk at least 250 steps.

It tracks cycling and walking, most activities over 10 minutes.

I like tracking my resting heart rate. Take it with a pinch of salt but I really like mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

aquinn wrote: »
    I have a charge HR and I really like it.

Don't get too hung up on it but it's enjoyable to sync up your activities and sleep.

You can log food on it too. It motivates you to get up every hour and walk at least 250 steps.

It tracks cycling and walking, most activities over 10 minutes.

I like tracking my resting heart rate. Take it with a pinch of salt but I really like mine.

That's when it does decide to sync. It has been extremely temperamental with the last few updates. So much so that I haven't been wearing it the past few days because it's just annoying me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I find that my Fitbit works great as a motivator.

It vibrates every hour or so that you're inactive just to remind you to get up and do something for a few minutes.

Advertisement