Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Term for Creeping Mist

Options
  • 08-12-2016 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

This morning saw a beautiful sunrise into a clear sky. I watched as a mist crept across the fields, no more than 4 ~ 5ft high, hugging the grass as it moved, penetrating hedgerows, giving them and the lower part of tree trunks an opaque appearance while the tree crown remained clear in the morning light.

I've spent today trying to recall the Irish term we used as children to relate this phenomenon - please, if any of you know this term - share it, take my out of my torment. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

My Mother used to call this 'Ceo Na Sí' or in English, The Fairie Fog / Fairie Mist.

It's mentioned in William Allingham's famous Poem 'Fairies.'

In Irish folklore, 'the Little People' use the mist as cover when moving from place to place to avoid the prying eyes of us mortals!

Your description was wonderful by the way, and your words captured the scene very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 SecretGarden

Thanks DanMurphy - what a lovely name for it. Sadly, we're losing some of this beautiful language - it would be lovely to make a collection! One day... one day...

Well, just go ahead and do it!
    If you don't. who will?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

DanMurphy wrote: »
    If you don't. who will?

Well said! I agree wholeheartedly. SecretGarden, time waits for no man/woman. Its shorter than we think.

That same Faerie mist fascinated me as a child. They were more numerous during those calm late September evenings.

To me, every fog-bank creeping across a field contained King Brian and his Host!

I wrote a poem about it for my kids many moons ago, during my writing days.

Ahh, those innocent days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 SecretGarden

DanMurphy wrote: »
    If you don't. who will?
    That should teach me to shut up at times - yes you are right of course
    Change begins with the self

I've tried to use several excuses but deleted them again, none were reason enough not to do as you suggest

The question is, will I ever apply myself to the task?

Advertisement