Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightmare lodger stealing

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Turn off all the power ....

Start walking around with nothing on and start playing music very loud music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Can we tone down the language a bit please. The licensee is not a nice guy but calling him a s***bag really isn't helpful. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lodgerfromhell

Great news. While him and his girlfriend were arguing my girlfriend called the gardai, saying she was scared and when the gardai arrived they smelt the weed. Asked one of they'd witness me giving him 24 hours noticed he agreed and they also told him he's 24 hours notice and not to return and told us to change locks now. They all left with him crying. Very happy and thanks to everyone who read and contributed to the thread. Serious weight of our shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Great outcome Lodgerfromhell, :)
    Regarding withholding 20% of the rent of an out of the country landlord, how are tenants meant to know when their LL is out of the country!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Whereabouts is the house? I'm looking for a place at the moment.

• Advertisement

Great outcome Lodgerfromhell, :)
    Regarding withholding 20% of the rent of an out of the country landlord, how are tenants meant to know when their LL is out of the country!

The lease has her bfs name and the account is a joint account and he works in cork. Do I need to go further, I never realised I was even liable, I presumed it would have being easy to trace since it was going through Irish bank account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

If the named person on the lease or their agent is living in Ireland, you do not need to deduct the rent. But if you know the real beneficiary is the gf living abroad and the arrangement is to avoid tax, you are guilty of an offense. But as far as you know, its all above board. So proceed on this basis.

sabat wrote: »
    Whereabouts is the house? I'm looking for a place at the moment.

A city in the west ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You were dead lucky - this is the nightmare world of people who rent their homes out & it is rarely the gaurds will come or help - good work on your girlfriend & that gaurd. I would be doing the deposit transaction with two witnesses after a double check on the room; an the front door with you & him outside it do he cant kick or smash anything on his way out. Do your neighbours have CCTV? Even if they don't tell him they do in concealed locations for the security of both gardens & properties - it might deter him . Sounds like a total nightmare .
    I'd be documenting this to your ll so she knows the trouble you went to for her & in case this **** does malicious damage that is not immediately obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You got super lucky with that outcome OP. Your GF had the brains :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

goz83 wrote: »
    You got super lucky with that outcome OP. Your GF had the brains :D
    +1
    I had 2 similar experiences with licensees during my renting days:

The first guy was an early 20s alcoholic who used to p*ss the bed (or sofa) on a regular basis. He didn't even use sheets on his bed, just a black sack of towels that spent most of their time in the washing machine. So in his case I moved out (for "personal" reasons) as there was no way I could get anyone else to take over his room. [Sorry landlord]

The second case was a guy whose GF moved in (against the terms of our agreement) and I was told "not to ask questions". They used to fight like cats and dogs and leave drugs paraphernalia all over the apartment. after a month when I asked how much longer she would be staying he got very abusive. I gave him a months notice to leave and on his last day he burst into my room and threw the keys and a frying pan at me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement