Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gulistan Cottages Parking

Options
  • 09-12-2016 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

We are looking at renting a property in this area and I'd like to know what the parking situation is like. I can see it's a free for all in terms of on street parking, wondering what the likelihood of me is getting a space every day? The car would be parked up all day as I don't commute to work in it, but I drive to the gym after work and would need a space when I get back about 8:9pm. What are weekends like with the bring centre open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Is there no residents parking permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Is there no residents parking permit?

Sorry I missed this reply. Not on that road no it is free on street parking , I checked with DCC and they said because it's free they don't offer permits for adjacent streets. The adjacent streets always have spots but the Gulistan Cottages road seems busy especially on weekends with the recycling centre, I'd be delighted to pay for a permit to feel more secure but they won't let me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I don't know about the parking on gulistan cottages specifically, but we use the being centre regularly and there's ample parking there for people who are using it. I don't get why anyone would park at gulistan cottages and then traipse back and forth with their waste?

I don't know about the parking on gulistan cottages specifically, but we use the being centre regularly and there's ample parking there for people who are using it. I don't get why anyone would park at gulistan cottages and then traipse back and forth with their waste?

Thanks - I actually haven't been into the bring centre so wasn't sure if there was ample parking there or not. Good to know the weekends wouldn't be any busier on our road then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If it gets to be an issue, the residents can always apply to have parking permits introduced.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    If it gets to be an issue, the residents can always apply to have parking permits introduced.

I'm guessing it mustn't be too much of an issue so if there are no permits this far! Fingers crossed as I drive a jeep so hoping I'll find somewhere to put it :)

Easier said than done. I've looked into doing this on our street and it's a lot of hassle

Easier said than done. I've looked into doing this on our street and it's a lot of hassle

Yeah I believe it has to be by ballot so if all (or the majority of) residents don't agree it doesn't work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suppose it depends on how long the street is. Ours was fairly easy - only nine houses.

Looking at Google Streetview and without knowing when the photos were taken, it does seem a number of residents have already resorted to the 'traffic cones outside house' method. Looks like parking spaces are very much at a premium there.

I suppose it depends on how long the street is. Ours was fairly easy - only nine houses.

Looking at Google Streetview and without knowing when the photos were taken, it does seem a number of residents have already resorted to the 'traffic cones outside house' method. Looks like parking spaces are very much at a premium there.

Yes it seemed that way when we went to view too. I think the daytime is more of a problem than anything as I think people who work in Rathmines park there. It didnt seem too bad when I drove up there in the evening. I will probably invest in traffic cones myself but more to protect my car from bumps and scratches when its parked up than anything else as those streets are narrow!

This photo is from 2014 but i wouldn't imagine it's much different now :(

• Advertisement

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Yeah I believe it has to be by ballot so if all (or the majority of) residents don't agree it doesn't work.

Our main problem was that, because we live in a street close to town where 80% of houses are rented, few residents are on the electoral register and hence can't sign the petition. There's also the fact that most of the renters are only living here for a year or two and then moving on, so don't really care about parking. Most of them don't have cars and it is commuters, or a local garage who park a lot of their cars here, who take up the spaces, which also makes them less likely to care.

Our main problem was that, because we live in a street close to town where 80% of houses are rented, few residents are on the electoral register and hence can't sign the petition. There's also the fact that most of the renters are only living here for a year or two and then moving on, so don't really care about parking. Most of them don't have cars and it is commuters, or a local garage who park a lot of their cars here, who take up the spaces, which also makes them less likely to care.

Yes it seems to be very much the same round our place - commuters parking on the street. The only advantage is that I would be leaving my car there during the day and heading off about 6pm, returning at 8pm. Hoping that the commuters would have gone by then and there would be sufficient parking at that stage.

May have to resort to cones, or begging a neighbouring street to allow me to use their residents permit if they do not use one!

Advertisement