Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upset cat, what do?

• 09-12-2016 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Hi,

There's a stray cat who was at our house 3 years ago when we moved in.

We ignored him for a while because we assumed he'd go away but we felt bad for him so we started to feed him here and there, the neighbors were anyway so there was no point ignoring him.

Fast forward to about two days ago, we heard some scratching and noise and we assumed we had a mouse. Move to today and we heard meows in the kitchen we got quite a shock when we saw him under our counter tops! We managed to lure him outside again but he's spent the last hour at the door making a crying sound. He's breaking our heart here but we can't let him in cos we've no where for him to pee and sleep etc.

Is there anything we can do to get him sorted? I think he might be sick because he's very thin and all that crying doesn't seem normal for him. Is there any vet that can see him pro bono? I couldn't afford to pay one especially this close to Christmas but I don't want to leave him suffering.

I'm in Wexford area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

If you google Wexford cat rescue you'll find a few places you can contact, one of them may be able to take him. Poor thing 😿

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

A litter tray will set you back about 10 quid, litter filler about 5. 2 plastic bowls for nibbles and water is all he needs. And an open window as he will most likely only come in on the odd occasion.. You've managed to gain the trust of a feral cat - that is some feat.Maybe he is just getting older and thats why he's getting thinner or the neighbors don't feed him anymore.See how he goes with a few days of tender loving care.Thanks for caring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Even if the above is stretching finances OP (and believe me, I know what it's like), you can sub in other bits. If you've an old baking tray that's big enough, that might do for a litter tray. Two bowls for foos/water. A blanket for it to sleep. My fella adores microfiber as he kneads it before sleeping.

The cat is probably cold and lonely. Its most likely just your company it wants, not any sort of fancy pet gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I've used a biscuit tin and earth in an emergency as a temp litter tray. Even if you can just keep him in the kitchen/back/front porch at night. It must have been someone's pet at some point, as ferals rarely want to come inside a house.

Good for you for feeding him.

What about outside? Have you any shed's he could sleep in? You would need a box for him off the ground that is shelters from wind/rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going away for 2 days this evening but I'm gonna leave out food and water for him, when I come home I'll set up a little area for him to stay in at night in the house to spare him from the cold a bit. I'll try get in touch with a vet if he doesn't improve a bit.

• Advertisement

A cat is well able for outside so all you need to do really is give him a bit of food (if you don't mind him staying around that is as once you feed him he will keep coming back). Any cat we had was never allowed set foot inside the house (they weren't feral cats either ones we got as kittens).

A cat is well able for outside so all you need to do really is give him a bit of food (if you don't mind him staying around that is as once you feed him he will keep coming back). Any cat we had was never allowed set foot inside the house (they weren't feral cats either ones we got as kittens).

Absolutely agree 100%, this cat has been just fine out, but I'm very concerned that the weird weather has caused him to fall a bit ill. Allowing him inside for a few days while I get him checked out won't do either of us any harm. It's not a permanent set up but there's a reason that cat snuck into the house and hid under my counters he's an audible little fella but he was silent until he wanted to be let out. I just assumed it was a mouse. I was even going to lay down rat poison in case it was them. Thank god I didn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I've made a cozy set-up in the past for a feral cat. Two of those lidded storage bins from Woodies (one big, one med) with a layer of foam insulation between and a hole cut through one side. An old fleecy blanket inside. I put it under our barbecue cover where the cat had been sleeping on the bare metal. The additional shelter kept it warm. It ended up quite tame and currently lives with a neighbour. I've seen people also use old cooler boxes with a hole cut through for access.

Good for you though. After the horrible story about the poor kitten in that Betsw y Coed hotel it's nice to see someone being kind, even to a kitchen invader.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I've made a cozy set-up in the past for a feral cat. Two of those lidded storage bins from Woodies (one big, one med) with a layer of foam insulation between and a hole cut through one side. An old fleecy blanket inside. I put it under our barbecue cover where the cat had been sleeping on the bare metal. The additional shelter kept it warm. It ended up quite tame and currently lives with a neighbour. I've seen people also use old cooler boxes with a hole cut through for access.

Good for you though. After the horrible story about the poor kitten in that Betsw y Coed hotel it's nice to see someone being kind, even to a kitchen invader.

Hey that's a pretty good idea! I can't get those for half nothing in Eurogiant and cutting a little entry hole and sanding it would be a great little shelter from the rain. Add a blanket or cheap cat bed from eurogiant and some food and sure he'd be in his element. It's heartbreaking when he comes to the door soaking wet poor thing :(

It was more of a surprise than anything to see him, but it was fairly evident he wasn't feeling himself because he does sometimes wander in the house but has no intention of staying. The fact he tried his hardest to stay meant something was up.

I'll defiantly give that box trick a go. Even if the cat isn't interested it's not a huge deal since they cost very little. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Our little visitor was visibly frail and achy at the outset but came on in leaps and bounds after a while on decent meals and a little comfort. She (I think) had been neutered (notches) but needed a top-up of love to keep her going before deciding which home to chose.

• Advertisement

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Our little visitor was visibly frail and achy at the outset but came on in leaps and bounds after a while on decent meals and a little comfort. She (I think) had been neutered (notches) but needed a top-up of love to keep her going before deciding which home to chose.

It's awful that some people just abandon their cats or dogs like that.

I have good reason to believe this poor crater belonged to the last tenants but just left him behind when they moved. A few cats have come around this area but they tend to roam off and visit every few months or so he is always here everyday. I'm fairly sure that this is his home and i wouldn't be keen on giving him away to the ISPCA or whatever because I think he'd have a hard time adjusting given his age. He's defiantly not too old but he's no kitten either.

Advertisement