Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What were you like when you were at school?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

eet fuk wrote: »
    Does Barry Manilow know you raided his closet?

*RATE

*WARDROBE

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I got in trouble a lot for speaking out on things and had teachers giving out to my folks that I was an underachiever. Went to a poor enough school.

Got a gammy L.C result, took a roundabout way into university and then it was like a switch went off; going from the underacheiver to pretty academically successful over the course of a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I was quiet and shy. Academically, I was good but I had no self confidence. I was rubbish at sport, always felt ugly, fat and boring in comparison to everyone else. Outwardly, I don't know how I seemed. I wasn't popular and wasn't cool, so I think that I was a bit invisible.

I avoid people from school because I always feel crap around them. Ironically, I grew into a very quietly confident person. I have good friends, a good job and a nice home. I met one of the super popular guys from my class recently at a work meeting and I actually couldn't remember his name. I was polite but indifferent because I wasn't worth knowing back in the day but he seemed quite upset that I didn't remember him well or know what was going on in his life. I didn't feel bad about myself actually cos I suppose that I was in my comfort zone.

Life is funny sometimes but not in a ha ha way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

The class clown.
    Was never a bully but stood by and did nothing which i always regret.
    Was suspended a couple of times for ducking off cos i detested the place,Left before i did my my leaving cert did still manged to find a decent job.
    I still see a few heads around town but not really in contact with any from my time in school which is fine by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I was always a bit introverted and anti social. I had lots of friends but never bothered with anyone outside my group. I kept myself to myself. I was quiet enough with people I didn't know, which some mistook as being an easy target for bullying but I would come out all guns blazing and was very fiery if pushed enough.

I was lazy enough, I hated anyone fighting or arguing with me into doing things. My art teacher summed it up in a parent teacher meeting with my mom.
    "I don't argue with her. If I argue with her she'll do nothing, but if you leave her to get on with things she'll get it done eventually". I was a big fan of burying my head in the sand of subjects I didn't like (maths) and would Mitch a lot with the boys from the school nearby, drinking.

I wasn't bold or cheeky though so my teachers for the most part liked me and thought I was being led astray but I wasn't I just didn't like school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

A complete Ass hole. Failed 2 of 8 Leaving Cert subjects. but I got what I earned which was still sh!t. That was long long time ago now - my final year was 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I was pretty weird. You know that kid who'd never speak and sit down the back drawing on her pants or something? That would be me.

I was really shy and innocent going into secondary school so the first three years were torture. Had a group of friends but really all we had in common was being shy :D After junior cycle drifted into a group I actually had things in common with, it was much better but still fundamentally resented having to be there, I was absent a lot. And there was a lot of being physically there but miles away mentally. With the benefit of age and experience I'd say I actually maybe had two bouts of depression, but at the time everyone (me included) just dismissed it as being a teenager.

Good academically but not one of life's overachievers. Wasn't someone who'd act up for the sake of it but did have some run ins with teachers over the years. Only the fcuking eejit ones though.

Still have a couple of people from then I'm friends with, a few more I'd exchange pleasantries with if I ran into them but no way on god's green earth I'd go to a reunion. Half the bastards haven't moved outside a five mile radius since anyways so I don't know what the point would be. Still get a sick feeling in my stomach if I pass the school tbh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Happy, outgoing and gregarious in primary school and had quite a few school friends.

Bullied, withdrawn and lonely in secondary school. Had hardly any school friends - except for 5th/6th year when things got a lot better. Was strong academically but nothing exceptional.

College was where I really came into myself and I'm still in touch with quite a few college mates. I had a great time in college. I could finally be me!

Went to my 10 year reunion after an old friend from school days pleaded with me to go. It was ok. 10 years is not a long time and the assholes/bullies in school had hardly changed. Haven't been to a reunion since. Might - just might - go to the 25 year one to see who's aged well and who hasn't. Then again, it might not be worth the bother.

My school has an old boys network bullcrap thing going on and I've never been remotely interested in getting involved. I prefer to achieve things on my own merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

There's so many people who were withdrawn and listless in school (zero craic) who then went to college and 'found themselves' etc. It's almost cliche.

Well, I enjoyed Secondary School and was very disinterested in University, couldnt wait to graduate and get on with my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I was happy enough. Bright student. Talked to everyone. Lots of friends. I was one of those annoying kids (from a teacher's point of view) who talked out in class though. Questions and objections and the like. That was about the worst of my behaviour though. Once I mitched (we went and sat in a bathroom) and immediately got caught. The innocence of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Awkward mostly. Dismissed as a nerd by cool people, dismissed as a skanger by the nerds. Struggled with snobbery from the nuns. I liked my lay teachers and overall it was grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

My primary school teacher wanted me to be published at 11 but I don't think my mother understood her. Was very quiet until secondary school until I just broke out and become rebellious. I had a huge group of friends and we were all inseparable. I did no study whatsoever but ended up getting into university anyway. Spent seven years studying in colleges, which surprised me as I didn't really like school. That's a lot of time to be in schools overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

A complete and utter moron! **** you teenage pixels!!!!

Lets just say I'm a better person now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I reckon I was a young boy.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I was shy, nervous, bullied, introverted and lacking in self esteem.

Now I travel the world performing live improv comedy. Picked up none of these skills till later in life. Resent what I went through in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Just today I found an old school picture of my Class (aged about 10, taken in 1960)
    The picture appeared in a Museum Gallery through which I was browsing, and headed 'An unknown group of boys taken in 1940.'

It was a shock to see my 10 year old self beaming out at me, ears sticking out like the Sam Maguire Cup from being dragged about by those appendages by thugs who called themselves 'teachers.'

Those were the days when students didn't have to learn anything, voluntarily.
    It was beaten into us instead.

Bullied for my English accent for several years at primary school in Ireland, secondary in England was good though, got on well with everyone students and teachers alike, did very well academically though my confidence in one or two subjects had been so thoroughly undermined in primary that could take no satisfaction from doing well.

Terrible at most sports except swimming which I excelled at, but I was very enthusiastic always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

but no way on god's green earth I'd go to a reunion. Half the bastards haven't moved outside a five mile radius since anyways so I don't know what the point would be.
    Had a funny moment myself about 12 years ago.

I was back home on holiday from Japan, and went to a bar I used to go to.

I walked in and there were the boys themselves, like they'd never moved since I last saw them, including one lad (we'll call him Joe) that you might have expected to leave and not come back. But there he was, talking the same auld shyte as ever.

I remember commenting to the friend I was there with that it was a bit sad to see them all still there, especially Joe.

Got talking to Joe an hour or two later and it turned out that it was his first time in the bar for about 5 years, as he'd spent most of his time in various parts of Africa. He said that when he saw me walk in his first thought was 'Jaysus, there's osarusan, sad to see him still around the place, he's somebody you'd have imagined would move on.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I went into third class from London. My accent was teased by some girls, but then I had been called a Paddy by kids in London as my Dad was Irish. I swear it's why I have never felt a true sense of belonging anywhere. I was clever in school, but couldn't stand it being pointed out by teachers or other pupils. I still do hate being made to stand out in any way, can't handle attention at all. I enjoyed secondary school, I got along with everyone. I was quiet, kept the head down and got on with the work getting good results. But I was also one of the girls who smoked down by the nuns graveyard at break times so was never labelled a nerd. We had a ten yr reunion back in 2000, it was lovely to catch up with everyone after so long. I can honestly say there was no one I had ever disliked. In the 16 yrs since then bar from bumping into a couple now and then, I haven't had contact with anyone. 26 yrs ago now since I did the Leaving, it was another lifetime altogether!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

DanMurphy wrote: »
    Just today I found an old school picture of my Class (aged about 10, taken in 1960)
    The picture appeared in a Museum Gallery through which I was browsing, and headed 'An unknown group of boys taken in 1940.'

It was a shock to see my 10 year old self beaming out at me, ears sticking out like the Sam Maguire Cup from being dragged about by those appendages by thugs who called themselves 'teachers.'

Those were the days when students didn't have to learn anything, voluntarily.
    It was beaten into us instead.

Often thought that school was at times bad enough for us without having to deal with teachers who could beat you. Must have been bad. When was all that banned? We had one old teacher who if you did anything would say if I had my way I'd bring back the cane .... Bad to think about it.

• Advertisement

Yep, no exaggerating, those were tough days indeed. Wasn't just a cane, but back-handed slaps, fists on occasion, lifted from your seat by an ear, or hair.
    It didn't stop at progression to Secondary school either, just the 'weapons' were different.
    The T-Square was used as a 'scimitar' during Maths Class, or the wood-end of a chisel during woodwork.
    Looking back on it, some of my teachers were ****in' psycopaths!

Yep, no exaggerating, those were tough days indeed. Wasn't just a cane, but back-handed slaps, fists on occasion, lifted from your seat by an ear, or hair.
    It didn't stop at progression to Secondary school either, just the 'weapons' were different.
    The T-Square was used as a 'scimitar' during Maths Class, or the wood-end of a chisel during woodwork.

Christ, that's upsetting to read. I can't imagine how traumatic that must have been for you.

I'm really sorry you had to live through that. I hope it didn't scar you too deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Worst time of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

My grandfather pinned one such teacher to the wall with a chair, for picking on someone in his class. His parents were not the deferential type, but I'm sure there were lads who would've been punished at home for doing the same,regardless of reason.

It was like a sadist's dream job back then, from what I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Funnily enough, I found one of my school reports, from when I was 10, the other day.
    100% in all exams.
    Attendance: excellent
    Comment: Cheeky at times. Can be lazy.

Ahh, I seldom think about it now, but seeing that old photo today brought it all back.
    That carry-on reflected the violent society which existed back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Your being charitable to some Dan. Clearly some, incl my first teacher shouldn't have been left near children. Left scars on others rather than me.
    She died recently and even though she lived most of her life in the area, the vast majority would not go to the funeral. This is in a rural area.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hardly ever got into trouble. Initially very shy and quiet and not particularly happy. Never got involved in any fights, but used to step in and break them up on occasions - perhaps the fact I was just shy of 6' 2" at the age of 12 meant I had a certain "authority"! Was very good at maths which made my school life a lot easier, as I would finish my maths lesson after 15 mins or so and do all my homework in the remaining 45. In fact I can hardly remember doing any homework at home.

Having said that, I left school 37 years ago - things were very different in those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

annoying c*nt

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

J Mysterio wrote: »
    There's so many people who were withdrawn and listless in school (zero craic) who then went to college and 'found themselves' etc. It's almost cliche.

Well, I enjoyed Secondary School and was very disinterested in University, couldnt wait to graduate and get on with my life.

It's a cliche because there's a certain degree of truth in it - most cliches are. School is so limiting, you are lumped in with people you loathe.

In university/college, you are a young adult, find your feet and can pick and choose those people you like and ignore the tossers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I was like Donald Trump. Rude, racist, obnoxious, attention seeker and a bully. But then I was a kid and I grew up.

Hairier.

Popular. Good at exams, good at sports...extremely unsuccessful with the ladies until 16/17 though, the only cloud on an otherwise fantastic childhood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Loved school, was popular, intelligent, did well at everything...up until JC, then I got lazy, did an awful LC, got into some crappy course I hated, dropped out, worked a crappy job for a while, said f@ck this.

Went back to college, got a 1.1 degree with minimal effort, got the 1st job I interviewed for which is in 1 of the top firms in my field, so turned out ok.

Would have no interest in a reunion though, life moves on, the group of us that were best friends and did everything together just drifted away after. Thats 16 years ago now.

One person tried to organise a 10 year reunion, they created an FB page but wouldn't say who they were no matter how many times we asked.
    Very weird so we just said f#ck off and it didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

so few laters after i finished college i went back and barged into his class with my leaving cert and college degree in tow and and put them right up to his face and said "remember when you said i wouldnt amount to anything mr know it all? i just proved you wrong" and i walked out with hands in my pockets smiling leaving behind a shocked look on his face :D

This didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I was a misfit. I was always a big, heavy, quiet, awkward kid with big thick specs and thick curly hair. I went to an all boys primary school and was teased and bullied quite badly over my appearance. Consequently I hated school and didn't do the work which caused me problems later on. I went on to secondary and things were better - the school wasn't as rough as primary but I was made go to another boys school which was a big mistake for me, IMO.

I started playing with bands and made friends- it was a good time for the most part but my 'cool' rocker mates were early bloomers to drinking etc etc and I wasn't- I was still the awkward bloke under it all (and I may always be too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I was an absolute Bollix in school, I was in a 'Special' Class for what some people call problem children, we weren't a problem, we were just cnuts, I spent an average of 3 months a year on the hop, hated the place, did me Inter and did alright considering but was glad to be out of it at 16, at 30 I worked in a university and took part in a learning disability survey and found out I was dyslexic, so it explained a lot of my troubles at school, but I'm a stubborn fecker and because I couldn't do any languages when I was in school, I decided I wanted to learn Irish, love it to this day, took me 7 years to do a 3 year diploma, but I'm proud of myself for sticking it out and finishing it

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

I've only left school and I've changed quite a bit, still trying to shake off the old habits.

I went to a very small school, but very few people knew I sang till Leaving Cert! A lot didn't even know I played guitar, the entire way up I was quiet, always have been.
    Before my Junior Cert I was in with the wrong crowd, detention etc and I would act sick just so I wouldn't have to go out and see people. I just wanted to stay home and play guitar.
    After JC I was a better student but according to my teachers, I was 'never one to kill myself working'..
    I was glad that the older lads left, I was much happier in senior years, but still quiet.. made some friends but overall it was a forgettable experience, glad I got my results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Didn't really go when I was suppose to. Ended up getting expelled when I was 10! Done nothing until I was 13, when I went back as a secondary student in first year. Actually made my conformation in first year, then left.

Went to college at 27, done diploma, then degree, and just writing my thesis for masters, so all in all not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

s15r330 wrote: »
    Loved school, was popular, intelligent, did well at everything...up until JC, then I got lazy, did an awful LC, got into some crappy course I hated, dropped out, worked a crappy job for a while, said f@ck this.

Went back to college, got a 1.1 degree with minimal effort, got the 1st job I interviewed for which is in 1 of the top firms in my field, so turned out ok.

Would have no interest in a reunion though, life moves on, the group of us that were best friends and did everything together just drifted away after. Thats 16 years ago now.

One person tried to organise a 10 year reunion, they created an FB page but wouldn't say who they were no matter how many times we asked.
    Very weird so we just said f#ck off and it didn't happen.

Sounds like one of those murder/slasher films where the kid who was bullied invites everyone to a party and slowly starts offing them ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

Was quiet, polite and did enough work to make sure i got away with a lot of **** because of it. I more or less took whatever days i wanted off, and half days, signed in late when i wanted to miss double maths/business studies. Don't think my parents signed a thing the whole of secondary school because i just forged everything. Just used to sign a lame excuse and hand it to the vice principal and he'd say nothing. He had to have known i was taking the piss but he never said anything.

Dossed off P.E with the same forged notes for a long time until the teacher got wise and made me go and borrow a tracksuit from a friend in another class.

Me and my friend (another quiet one) didn't attend a Religion class for a whole year, we just went to a free class that was never supervised. The religion teacher used to come in at least once every fortnight looking for whoever the two missing people out of his class were. For some reason he didn't have our names. Some laugh!

I was an average enough student. Got good marks in some subjects, was terrible in others. Didn't really put much effort in and can't say i was encouraged to by teachers either. I feel like if i was given some encouragement i would have done more higher level subjects. I suppose that's the problem when you're an average to good student. You don't excel at anything and you don't cause any trouble either so you're kind of skipped over by the teacher.

Certainly wasn't cool, confident or popular but i always had friends and got on with pretty much everyone. As for reunions - i don't like them. I went to the ten year one and it was grand but a lot of the people who wouldn't look twice at you in school act are all 'oh hiiiiiiii' - can't be arsed with the fakeness. My feeling is that if you want to keep in touch with people you will do it. My two best friends are from secondary school and we've stuck it out. Other people i was very close to just drifted apart pretty soon after we finished. It happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In primary school, I was quiet, but confident and happy. I sang in the Concert Hall with the National Children's Choir, and always got one of the lead roles in school plays. Academically, I was a straight-B student, always in the top half of the class, but far too lazy to become a proper swot. I never got into any kind of trouble, except when I refused to participate in PE. I wasn't one of the cool kids, but generally got along grand with everyone.

Secondary school was an awful shock to the system. From the very beginning, it seemed like such a cold, unfriendly place. Bullying was rife, and most of the teachers either turned a blind eye or actively condoned it. Within the space of a few months, I went from being a happy, quietly confident 12-year-old to being painfully shy and afraid to speak in classes for fear of being jeered. For the first two years of secondary, I did my best to remain as 'invisible' as possible in the (usually vain) hope of avoiding being picked on. This made it very difficult to make friends. The bullying eventually fizzled out (for me, at least - they just got bored and moved on to other people), but the damage to my confidence was done.

If it was up to me, secondary school wouldn't be a thing at all. There's something inherently cruel about creating that kind of upheaval in kids' lives, just as puberty is about to begin. Forcing kids who've been classmates for eight years to suddenly go their separate ways and 'start again' in a nastier, more socially competitive environment where enthusiasm and positivity are frowned upon and cynicism is de rigueur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

RayM wrote: »
    If it was up to me, secondary school wouldn't be a thing at all. There's something inherently cruel about creating that kind of upheaval in kids' lives, just as puberty is about to begin. Forcing kids who've been classmates for eight years to suddenly go their separate ways and 'start again' in a nastier, more socially competitive environment where enthusiasm and positivity are frowned upon and cynicism is de rigueur.

I disliked my primary school class and really welcomed the change of scenery and meeting of new people that secondary school brought. I was really excited about changing schools!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

RayM wrote: »

I attended two secondary schools because of moving house. The first was much like your description, reminded me of the American high schools in the movies, but the second was better. If you behaved like they did in the first, cynical, sarcastic etc, you'd have been considered a bitc* and looked at like you had six heads. It's the luck of the draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Shergar6 wrote: »
    Sounds like one of those murder/slasher films where the kid who was bullied invites everyone to a party and slowly starts offing them ...

Someone mentioned that at the time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It's a cliche because there's a certain degree of truth in it - most cliches are. School is so limiting, you are lumped in with people you loathe.

In university/college, you are a young adult, find your feet and can pick and choose those people you like and ignore the tossers.

Nonsense. If you choose a degree programme, you will have to attend lectures and tutorials with people they do not pick and choose and so, potentially, be 'lumped in with people you loathe'. No different from school in that regard. You are allowed have friends outside your class in both cases.

I think, for a lot of people, its simply a case of living away from home for the first time, and being giddy with the freedom of it. Other people have that kind of freedom before leaving home and dont get quite so excited.

• Advertisement
Advertisement