Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athlone - Dundrum no motorway!

• 09-12-2016 2:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4

Hi I need to drive to Dundrum soon but still on learner permit so cannot drive motorways and wouldn't chance it, (confident driver who merely cannot afford becoming a full licenced driver & will have an uninsured full licenced driver with me) I think I'm fine with getting as far a Lucan but after that I can't find any directions as to how to get to Dundrum without motorway if anyone can help me please :) hope this is in right section

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cralent wrote: »
    Hi I need to drive to Dundrum soon but still on learner permit so cannot drive motorways and wouldn't chance it, (confident driver who merely cannot afford becoming a full licenced driver & will have an uninsured full licenced driver with me) I think I'm fine with getting as far a Lucan but after that I can't find any directions as to how to get to Dundrum without motorway if anyone can help me please :) hope this is in right section

There's always an alternative route to a motorway, sometimes they even have a 120 limit and are built to motorway standard but classified as a N road if they can't have an alternative route.

How can you not afford to become fully licencened? Your insurance will go down so that will cover most of the costs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

may be that they haven't done the mandatory driving school lessons, which will cost €300+ on top of applying for the test itself, i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

may be that they haven't done the mandatory driving school lessons, which will cost €300+ on top of applying for the test itself, i guess.

which is the wrong way round. You should have to do the lessons straight away when taking to the road so that you have been taught correctly and don't have to re-learn stuff. No brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Going OT here but if you haven't completed the basic training then you can't be a competent driver, you can think you are but you aren't. The only way a driver is competent is when they have passed the test.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OP never claimed to be competent, they claimed to be confident. and they will have a licenced driver in the car with them.
    so questions of competency don't really arise.

it's a valid point though about doing the licenced lessons first, would make sense; but some people would also possibly opt to do the lessons at the end of the learning period to clear up any bad habits.

anyway, back on topic - old galway road (via kilbeggan/enfield) etc., and when you get to lucan, maybe go for the R136 to tallaght, and then the R113/scholarstown road/taylor's lane, which will bring you in just above dundrum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Use google maps, but select the travel mode as bicycle. That will avoid the M50. Just be careful not to select a route that includes the cycle-path along the canal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 cralent

Thank you for helpful comments guys using the app was the problem I wasn't able to use options such as avoid motorways
    in regards to why I can't afford a full license that's none of your concern but fun fact is that some people really struggle to cover the cost of a basic week in life :) glad finances are better for you! Hopefully someday I'll reach that point and get my full license and bully all the learners off the road with "safe experienced driving"
    Again thank you everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

cralent wrote: »
    Thank you for helpful comments guys using the app was the problem I wasn't able to use options such as avoid motorways
    in regards to why I can't afford a full license that's none of your concern but fun fact is that some people really struggle to cover the cost of a basic week in life :)

All they said was that your insurance quote will come done significantly when you pass your test. Which is true ;)

Anyway, drive safe and mind the parking in Dundrum; it's a maze:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's always an alternative route to a motorway, sometimes they even have a 120 limit and are built to motorway standard but classified as a N road if they can't have an alternative route.

How can you not afford to become fully licencened? Your insurance will go down so that will cover most of the costs.

Where in Ireland is there an "N" route that has a 120 limit???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

Thanks,haven't been up that way recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Plus on the N25 - Long sections of the Cork to Midleton route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

N1 between Dundalk and the border. I think there's one or two more.

I must get out more,the last time I was north of the border was in 2007 for a Bruce Springsteen concert in Belfast:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,531 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Coming from Athlone on the old N6/N4, the only thing you need to watch out for is that after Enfield, you need to follow signs for Kilcock and drive into the town, otherwise you will end up on the M4.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

N1 - J18 to J20 (Dundalk to NI Border)
    N2 - M50 to start of M2 south of Ashbourne
    N22 - J3 to J1 (Ballincollig bypass)
    N25 - J1 to J4 (East Cork Parkway)
    N40 - J1 to J2

There's also a few 100km/h motorways

M8 - Glanmire Bypass (J18-J19)
    M50 - J2 to J14
    M28 (planned motorway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,164 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

marno21 wrote: »

There's also a few 100km/h motorways

M8 - Glanmire Bypass (J18-J19)
    M50 - J2 to J14
    M28 (planned motorway)

also Port Tunnel is 80Km/h motorway

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    N2 - M50 to start of M2 south of Ashbourne
    as far as i know, it's only 120km/h for about 1km on this section before it becomes the M2 (which i think is at the junction with the M2/M3 interconnector road); most of the stretch between the M50 and M2 is either 80 or 100km/h.

Advertisement