Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen refurb in Apartment

Options
  • 09-12-2016 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I own a 2-bed apartment in Dublin 8 and plan to sell in the new year. It is in good condition, BER D2, owner-occupied for a long time. I don’t anticipate it will take long to sell. I am unsure, however, whether or not to renovate the kitchen which, although in good condition, has not been refurbished since the apartment complex was built 14 years ago.

Is a kitchen refurb generally advisable in an apartment before selling? Could I expect a multiple back on what I spend on a refurb? If so, what level of multiple? If a refurb is advisable, to what extent – for example, would a superficial refurb involving, say, new shelves, etc suffice or would a more extensive refurb be advisable? Any views much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

I wouldn't bother refurbishing - a decent clean, declutter and a fresh coat of paint will work wonders. If an owner-occupier buys they'll probably want to put their own stamp on it, if an investor buys they'll have no problem firing in a kitchen if they think it needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You may even lose money refurbishing the kitchen. As above, a lick of paint is all it should need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I wouldnt put in a new kitchen to sell, unless the one I had was unfit to be used. If its just a bit dated, then a good professional clean and maybe a lick of paint is your best bet.

I bought my place (about the same vintage) and ripping the kitchen was the first thing I did, but I did it to my taste - as it happened it had the original kitchen still there, but chances are I would have ripped out a much newer kitchen if I didnt like it.

I certainly wouldn't be inclined to pay over the odds on the basis of a kitchen unless it happened to be exactly to my taste, and realistically you can't second guess all potential buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Leave it alone. Just give it a good scrub. no point shelling out 10K to only up the value by 5k. and as said what if new owner does not like it and rips it out.
    your taste does not equal anyone elses taste. If its desirable it will sell. If not, then have a think about doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It might make it slightly easier to sell if there's a new kitchen. But I definitely wouldn't pay any extra for it if buying because as with most things in a home they are personal and what you think is a good kitchen, or any other renovation apart from plain painting, could be totally unsuitable for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

Spend the money in your next property instead ;)

Advertisement