Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4 engine failure

• 09-12-2016 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Car failed me on Tuesday. Towed to Audi Garage. Mechanic said timing belt slipped and caused engine failure

Quoted 10000 for replacement engine .

Audi A4
    1000000 miles

It was serviced in July costing 1500.

How much is this car now worth?

Any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Sorry to hear that, was the belt ever changed before? Probably should have been done at 60K miles or so. I doubt it needs a whole new engine though, repair cost sounds excessive to me. Maybe get a 2nd opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭franktennis

xabi wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, was the belt ever changed before? Probably should have been done at 60K miles or so.

No but I was assuming after getting 2 services at the dealership this year alone it might have been flagged

No but I was assuming after getting 2 services at the dealership this year alone it might have been flagged

Yeah, they probably should have flagged it, what engine does it have?

Yeah, they probably should have flagged it, what engine does it have?

1.8 petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I would get onto audi ireland speak with a representative and ask if this is standard practice were a master technician signs off on a job without checking such a vital component.

• Advertisement

1.8 petrol

Wonder is it a chain instead of belt, google has conflicting info with some saying chain. If chain I'd assume it would be for the life of the car and not require changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Unless the dealer/Audi are contributing substantially towards the cost of replacing the engine then the first thing I'd do is take the car back from them. Spending 10k on repairing a car that is 7 years old next month is madness. It might be possible to rebuild that engine rather than replacing depending on the level of damage caused but I'd start by pricing the cost of rebuilding/replacing the engine from a good independent garage. You might have to source that engine from the North or mainland UK though as they were not a huge seller over here.

OP, what part of the country are you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Wonder is it a chain instead of belt, google has conflicting info with some saying chain. If chain I'd assume it would be for the life of the car and not require changing.

Oil pickup stopped picking up, Chain tensioner stopped tensioning, engine stopped engining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

1,000,000 miles? Not bad going on the original chain :pac:

OP, timing chains slipping on these engines are a known issue. €10k for a new engine is crazy. The last one we did just needed a cylinder head rebuild which cost €1850 all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is that the same chain set up as my 08 1.8Tfsi A5? Engine code CABD I have.
    If so, is there anything that can be done to prevent sudden failure apart from keeping the engine oil right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Million. Miles really????

There isn't really anything that you can do no. Unless you want to replace the chain as a preventative measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's not just VAG.

BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, GM, etc seem to have or had issues with timing chains at some point. Seems like backward engineering as a metal chain in theory is supposed to be more resilient than a rubber belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's not just VAG.

BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, GM, etc seem to have or had issues with timing chains at some point. Seems like backward engineering as a metal chain in theory is supposed to be more resilient than a rubber belt.

Peugeot / Citroën 1.6T petrol also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Okay thanks for all the replies. It's really disappointing as I loved the car.

Would it be worth asking for a price for it from the dealer as it's not much use now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Would it be worth asking for a price for it from the dealer as it's not much use now ?

A dealer will low ball you on a car like that, sell it on to the trade. They will spend the kind of money mention by George earlier and sell it on making a few bob.

If you like the car and it's otherwise trouble free bring it to a good Indie Garage like Daltons and get a second opinion on the damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

Hold on though. You had the car serviced TWICE this year alone, and by the dealership??

I'd be marching back there and saying that you would have expected timing belt to be replaced as standard if it was found to have reached its milestone at servicing! I'd be fairly sure this car's manual will say when the timing belt should be changed and the dealership should also be aware of this. They didn't service the car properly and they should at least come up with a solution for you.

• Advertisement

Did you read the thread? The car has a timing chain which has no recommended replacement interval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So these days belts are actually more reliable then chains...

So is 1.8tsi is the chain issue too and goes on the list? Is it supercharged and turbocharged or just turbo?

Forget about the dealer. They are no good to you in this situation. And frankly (no pun intended), you are no good to them either, this is not the type of work they want to get involved with.

Find someone local to you who has a bit of experience with these engines, and get them to fix the car. After that you can decide if you want to keep it or sell/trade.

So these days belts are actually more reliable then chains...

So is 1.8tsi is the chain issue too and goes on the list? Is it supercharged and turbocharged or just turbo?

Just turbo. The same engine is also known for excessive oil consumption :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Peugeot / Citroën 1.6T petrol also.

Which was designed by BMW let's not forget....

As a BMW owner, I adore the way their cars drive (before the wrong wheel drive nonsense crept in), but in all fairness their engineering is atrocious in some models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

10 grand for this repair is a "we don't want to do the job price" so I would forget about that.my advice would be find a trustworthy indy and let them asses the damage firstly.you can be lucky when a chain/ belt let's go.everyone always takes worst case scenario before even looking.even with a doner engine from a scrap yard,you wouldn't come near 10 grand.best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Surely buying a second hand engine would be an option of a 'fresh' scrapped car. 10K as said above is clearly the dealer stating we are not interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Get it to an independent mechanic. They'll sort it out for a fraction of the cost of a main dealer.

Advertisement