Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Family Tree Genealogy Site

Options
  • 09-12-2016 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Can anyone recommend a good genealogy / family tree application or site that allows multiple users input information at the same time without creating conflicting copies of the data file? We've been using an older version of Family Tree Maker (2012) and saving the data file to a shared Dropbox folder but the problem of conflicting copies is limiting the amount of relatives we would like to get involved in the project. These conflicting copies happen if more than one person has it open at the same time.
    Any help is much appreciated, as we've quite a lot of data and yet so much more to gather.
    Also, in a perfect world we'd be able use a European date dd/mm/yyyy format, but that's just really an after-thought.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

ConorOB wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good genealogy / family tree application or site that allows multiple users input information at the same time without creating conflicting copies of the data file? We've been using an older version of Family Tree Maker (2012) and saving the data file to a shared Dropbox folder but the problem of conflicting copies is limiting the amount of relatives we would like to get involved in the project. These conflicting copies happen if more than one person has it open at the same time.
    Any help is much appreciated, as we've quite a lot of data and yet so much more to gather.
    Also, in a perfect world we'd be able use a European date dd/mm/yyyy format, but that's just really an after-thought.

I’ve never heard of such a facility – usually once an app is ‘open’ other users are locked out (hence the duplicates on back-up). I’d also guess the type of app you want does not exist, as the demand would be very small. I (and probably most here) would never allow anyone enter data on my tree – I simply could not trust the data, nor could I track who input it. I have a friend who unwittingly gave someone ‘edit’ rights on her tree (on My Heritage) and she discovered so many errors that she abandoned it and set up a new one, locked.

Why not appoint a ‘Tree manager’, with sole rights for the ‘extended tree’ and have each branch input data on its own separate tree which could then be sent to the Tree Manager and then, after verification, merged by him/her into the ‘extended’ one?

Also, be aware that FTM has agreed to split from Ancestry so you also need to consider that.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

ConorOB wrote: »

I use geni.com, which operates on the basis of linking all family trees into one. I don't quite understand the problem: on geni.com, the only problem might be if two people were trying to edit the one "profile" (i.e. individual) at the same time. If someone makes an edit on one of your profiles that you don't agree with, you can edit it back: the only problem is if someone merges two profiles into one who were really different, and you need to find someone with overriding authority to separate them. And there is an option to use dd/mm/yyyy. Free up to 100 profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jo_gil

I have used Wikitree for some years now. It's free and no limit to the numbers of individual profiles. Also it's possible to add family pics, or create a web page related to (say for example) family farm or business etc.
    Some family members seem to be flummoxed by any technology, but this platform does allow me to assign editorial rights at the level of each profile - or assign the profile to be managed by another. e.g my Sister manages her own profile and those of her children / grandchildren.
    It must be great to have several people interested and willing to support your family project. Good luck with your decision

Advertisement