Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog run size

• 09-12-2016 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭

We are planning on building a run for Brendan, just for when we are out of the house, he's a medium sized staffy/lurcher. Is there a recommended size we should go for, we are thinking 3m x 5m, but may as well build it big enough now instead of coming back when he's fully grown and having to rebuild. The size above would include a kennel.
    And for height, if we were to put a roof on all of itt, can we keep it down to 4ft or would be be better keeping it up towards the 7ft mark even with a roof.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

hairyslug wrote: »
    We are planning on building a run for Brendan, just for when we are out of the house, he's a medium sized staffy/lurcher. Is there a recommended size we should go for, we are thinking 3m x 5m, but may as well build it big enough now instead of coming back when he's fully grown and having to rebuild. The size above would include a kennel.
    And for height, if we were to put a roof on all of itt, can we keep it down to 4ft or would be be better keeping it up towards the 7ft mark even with a roof.

I would do a 6ft height so you can walk into it especially if you are using a roof! It will make cleaning easier. My run for small dogs is 16 ft × 6 foot so not huge by any means. It does the job though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

mine is 4 x 16 feet for smaller dogs. Someone recently told me you should avoid a squarish run as it encourages dogs to run in circles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Definitely put some kind of roof on it as bull breeds can be amazing jumpers and climbers. The roof height is more about you getting in and out to clean it. I built one that's about 4ft high but you need to be flexible enough to clean it.
    It's funny when I think back as I wondered at the time was it even necessary to put wire over the top of the run at a height of 4ft, a few months later she was jumping onto 6ft ledges from a sitting position!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Something like this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Vizzy wrote: »
    Something like this ?

Maybe a bit smaller, we will be building it along a current fence. We had plans to run it beside the house with the option of a dog door to the house but that's not gonna work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Vizzy wrote: »
    Something like this ?

Ours would be very similar think its 11ft x 22ft. Fine for two very big dogs with two big kennels. Ours would only be in there at night or a max of a couple of hours during the day.

Advertisement