Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas Party Shenanigans

• 09-12-2016 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Piggystardust

So Folks,

Tis the season and all of that and I'm sure we all have some war stories to tell, be they about us or a work colleague. My party was last week and in a failed attempt to be classy, I opted for white wine over my usual beer or Guinness.
    BIG mistake. HUGE. Turns out I wasn't the only maniac, but I'll start the ball rolling with my shameful carry on..

Please note, I mostly remember none of this and am secretly hoping my colleagues are dirty exaggerating liars!!

1. I sat on my bosses lap, wrapped my arms around his neck and told him I loved him....repeatedly.

2. Wanted to show someone the tattoo on my upper arm but couldn't pull my dress sleeve up high enough so ripped my dress at the neck exposing both my tattoo and my t*ts.

3. Did a rendition of Tina Turner's 'What's love got to do with it' during dinner while people were trying to eat. This included hair swinging, chairs being kicked over and using my knife as a microphone.

4. Getting into a taxi with somebody already in it, sitting on top of them and refusing to get out. These were complete strangers.

I don't know which of the above is worse. One guy on my team took his shirt off and rubbed butter all over his chest and slide across the dance floor so that at least took some attention away from me. A lot of people got sick and I heard rumors of many 'sleepovers' and fights.

I go out with my friends all the time and drink and have fun. I never end up on their laps or singing into a fork.

What is it about Christmas parties that make you act like a lunatic in front of the people you least want to ever see you that way?!!

So, make me feel better guys.. can anyone top my list?!

A friend of mine got arrested twice at his Christmas party a few years ago actually, that was pretty bad.. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Slut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

We had a dinner, lots of drinks and a good laugh. No shenanigans other than me and another girl mentally undressing the singer of the band with our eyes.

I've never been one to make a show of myself on nights out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When you surfaced, was your dress torn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

What is it about Christmas parties that make you act like a lunatic in front of the people you least want to ever see you that way?!!

Want to go to a party ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Shat in pants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I know of a lad who had started a job in October, was having issues in his role already and on the Xmas night out whilst walking from the restaurant to the next bar, he decided, for the craic, to kick the wing mirror off a parked car. Which, to his credit he did, in one swing. It was an unmarked Garda car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Piggystardust

looksee wrote: »
    When you surfaced, was your dress torn?

Unfortunately yes, so that much I know is true!

emeldc wrote: »
    Slut

You old romantic x

A friend of mine started a new job during the summer and was invited to work BBQ. He was asked to leave cos he was a belligerent drunken mess. Got arrested on his way home for the same reason and thrown in the drunk tank.

A few hours later, they let him out. He was on his way his home when he heard music and great craic coming from someone's back garden. He hops over the wall and starts to join in, knocking over tables and once again causing a scene.

Turns out it was the same party. Cue the Guards being called and him being arrested again! Twice from the same party, all on the same night! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Gave my room number to several bosses wives/partners while drunk at the Xmas party a few years ago and told them I would be waiting for them to join me in my hotel room...

Woke up naked in the shower with half a bottle of red wine spilled all over me and the cleaner poking me with a duster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

YUCK.

I always detested the false jollity of the Xmas works do.

Hated, hated, hated having to sit beside some moron who thought s/he was the bees knees, no getting away from it for the duration of the meal.

After enduring three of these so called "parties", I always had a cold, sore throat, sick mammy or something ever since.

Never missed it. Saw these people every day and sometimes they could be nasty fekkers too.

Such hypocrisy, all smiles and full of drink. Doesn't change them come 2 January though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

By the sounds of some of those stories I think I am glad that my employer doesnt give us Xmas Parties :):):)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I will be having a dignified Christmas lunch at the Gresham next Wed. There will be booze but as I don't partake any more I won't be drinking. After the lunch it'll be up to everyone as to where they want to go but I won't be staying out late.

Did the whole drunken Xmas party thing when I was younger and it was meh. Pretending to like some of the fools you work with and licking up to the boss. Getting a sh*tty and pointless Kris kindle gift from a colleague. One year the girlfriend of a colleague followed me into the gents and made a major pass at me. Told her I batted for the "other team" but that only made her more eager!

I think messy work Xmas parties are on the decline. And not a bad thing too. People have been fired over the antics they got up to. Not worth the hassle!

YUCK.

Hated, hated, hated having to sit beside some moron who thought s/he was the bees knees, no getting away from it for the duration of the meal.

After enduring three of these so called "parties", I always had a cold, sore throat, sick mammy or something ever since.

Never missed it. Saw these people every day and sometimes they could be nasty fekkers too.

Such hypocrisy, all smiles and full of drink. Doesn't change them come 2 January though!

Obviously depends on the place/people you work with.

The people I work with are also my main group of friends in the city I work in and some I'd consider as good a friends as friends I've grown up with so I love the multiple Christmas parties at work and the nights out all through the year too with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I've only been to one proper christmas party for a company I worked for over 10 years ago

Free finger food
    Free bar
    anyone based down the country were put up in Jackson's Court Hotel for the night
    Fell into and out of coppers that night
    Good times

Haven't had a free drink or free bit of food for a christmas party since. The joys of the public service employee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Op sounds like right good craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I've mine tonight. Despite the odd occasion where we're roaring across the room at each other, my colleagues and I get on brilliantly. We've such a laugh in work so few drinks is great craic.

I'll be well behaved though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

My Christmas party used to be a free beer event until one Christmas 2 guys thought it would be fun to start a fight with a homeless person outside Kilmainham Gaol. Both of them ended up loosing teeth.

Our PA to the CEO is stunning. She's in her 40's but looks like Angelina Jolie. One Christmas party some lad who just joined the company decided he would try it on and to the disbelief of everyone, actually pulled her. They were snogging when the lights went up after a slow dance and once she realised everyone was looking at them, ran out of the place in embarrassment. He casually walked over his table to high fives from all the lads.

One year in Leopardstown one of our co-ops got pissed and decided he'd try and slide down the banister from one of the top enclosures to the bottom. He fell backwards and plummeted down the gap to the concrete below. We were actually convinced he was a goner, but had a very lucky landing and escaped with a split head and a sore shoulder.

I've been in the same place for a long time and could go on, but I'll leave at that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

So Folks,

Tis the season and all of that and I'm sure we all have some war stories to tell, be they about us or a work colleague. My party was last week and in a failed attempt to be classy, I opted for white wine over my usual beer or Guinness.
    BIG mistake. HUGE. Turns out I wasn't the only maniac, but I'll start the ball rolling with my shameful carry on..

Please note, I mostly remember none of this and am secretly hoping my colleagues are dirty exaggerating liars!!

1. I sat on my bosses lap, wrapped my arms around his neck and told him I loved him....repeatedly.

2. Wanted to show someone the tattoo on my upper arm but couldn't pull my dress sleeve up high enough so ripped my dress at the neck exposing both my tattoo and my t*ts.

3. Did a rendition of Tina Turner's 'What's love got to do with it' during dinner while people were trying to eat. This included hair swinging, chairs being kicked over and using my knife as a microphone.

4. Getting into a taxi with somebody already in it, sitting on top of them and refusing to get out. These were complete strangers.

And the problem is...?

You sound like a good laugh. I like party girls and you didn't do anything nasty or dangerous or disgusting.

Some people at Xmas parties do stuff that makes you cringe for them. Rag on the boss, the boss's wife, colleagues, etc. within earshot of the person, insult people, pick fights, or wet themselves or try to grope someone's partner. Sleazy **** like that.

You just sound like you have a good heart and booze, well, wine, kind of magnifies it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

OP and her mate sound like right craic. I miss going out with people like that, nowadays my mates have to be "responsible" because of their "children" and their "partners" don't like them taking "drugs".
    I'm not doing the " " right, am I?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself and didn't go out to hurt or offend anyone.
    There was also messing all round by the sounds of things. All good in my books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Last time I got absolutely rip-roaring bolloxed with colleagues at a Christmas do we all ended up semi-naked in a jacuzzi in my then-boss's hotel room. Scarred me for life. Had to do the walk of shame back to the hotel reception in my soaked dress and ask them what room I was staying in as I couldn't remember in my drunken state.

Relatively sober affairs these days. I don't have the three-day hangovers in me anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

At my first ever Christmas party at 19 I got polluted drunk on free Guinness and Wine and puked all over myself. All was not in vain as somehow I managed to score a bird from the floor below as I mooched the face of her in front of everyone. The next Monday was awkward. Actually the next 6 years in that company were as it would always be brought up at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Any jobs going in your company OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

YUCK.

You need new colleagues.

I've mine tomorrow night and I can't wait. Should be a great laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Many years ago the company I worked for managed to convince the finance/admin. department into believing it was fancy dress with a prize for the best costume. It was pretty funny at the time having about 10% of the people there dressed as Julius Caesar, Al Capone etc. and very well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wait till you see the photos and videos of your carry on up on facebook. :pac:

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    You need new colleagues.

I've mine tomorrow night and I can't wait. Should be a great laugh

Colleagues should ALWAYS be nice, not just at the Xmas fekkin party.

Don't like it never did, I bet a ton I am not alone with that.

But each to their own and all that! Whatever gets you through the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

My first one is this weekend. I'm thinking of bringing a bit of blow so I'll be able to hold it together better after a load of drinks and I won't make an arse of myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

YUCK.

I'm sure they loved being seated next to you as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I used to work with a d1ckhead director, hated by everybody.

He got punched at 3 different Christmas party.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'm sure they loved being seated next to you as well...

LOL.

I left at the earliest opportunity, it was usually a stomach problem that involved multiple visits to the facilities.

I am a lovely person, but it's the morons next to me I cannot do.

I'm sure you know the type I'm talking about, and they always landed next to me!!

Leaving at nine having suffered since five, and falling into a nice pub when OH is there to listen to it all is just, well aaaaaaah. the relief.

False jollity and hail fella/woman well met.

Never liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

LOL.

I left at the earliest opportunity, it was usually a stomach problem that involved multiple visits to the facilities.

I am a lovely person, but it's the morons next to me I cannot do.

I'm sure you know the type I'm talking about, and they always landed next to me!!

Leaving at nine having suffered since five, and falling into a nice pub when OH is there to listen to it all is just, well aaaaaaah. the relief.

False jollity and hail fella/woman well met.

Never liked it.

Sure you are... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

OP are you Bridget Jones??

Sounds like good craic...

Work place can be tough going.. nothing wrong with blowing off steam from time to time.. it can help a work colleagues/team get through the tough times... we'll that's my take anyway..

No one got hurt or killed = success. ;)

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Sure you are... :eek:

What!!!

We might need to go to the XMAS party together LOL. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

OP you didn't do anything to harm or offend anyone. Just sounds like harmless fun.

Plus there's no harm in a bit of flesh on display eh!?

Telling the boss lad you love him is a damn sight better than starting an argument about salary or some other personal grievance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

I don't know how to explain it but the worst part of a xmass party
    is not knowing if you "did ok"

You could be totally awesome but the next day you think you were Hitler.

xmass partys are a mean Joke :(

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Previous escapades at work christmas parties include the director having a 3 way snogathon in the corner of the pub with a receptionist and another female member of staff. Everyone else was just trying not to look.

Another christmas party included one of the ladies making out with a male member of staff, then telling everyone that she was gay and making sexy/drunk come to bed eyes at every female in the pub for the rest of the night.

Thankfully the worst I've done is drank more wine than I realised in the office and it hitting me on the bus halfway home. Fell in the door of my apartment and fell asleep fully clothed on the bed. All by 7pm. My partner STILL goes on about it. And judging by some stories here that was tame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I sat on my bosses lap, wrapped my arms around his neck and told him I loved him....repeatedly.

One guy on my team took his shirt off and rubbed butter all over his chest and slide across the dance floor

A lot of people got sick

many 'sleepovers' and fights.
    I'm guessing someone facing the sack spiked the drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mambaman

Started my first job after leaving cert. 3 months in and told I wasn't invited to the Xmas party and felt a bit sad as I was the only one not invited.

Anyway another staff member pulled out and I got the nod. I reluctantly accepted and off to Dublin to some hotel to see Joe Dolen we went. A few red bulls and vodkas in and I was on the dance floor all night. Kissing lots of 40 somethings with a pair of knickers on my head and a branch full of knickers in my hand.
    Best night I had still to this day and the only time I seen my boss or work mates all night was when they where pulling me off the dancefloor trying to get me into the taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I don't drink so none for me, but for some of my colleagues they include sleeping with married people, sleeping with same gender married people (always a good laugh after that), fights, someone breaking their ankle trying to dance in heels, and one guy tied the CEO's shoelaces together which resulted in CEO falling over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Op you sound like mighty craic!

I remember a few years ago getting absolutely sloshed on the free drink and got the same taxi home as the boss. I forgot my house number so to save face I just pretended I lived in this random estate and said "I'm number 42"... "Yep that one there on the right".. The taxi dropped me there and I stumbled out not a notion where I was. I just sat on the footpath and had to ring my boyfriend to come pick me up. I didn't know where I was so in order to direct him I had to knock on a door and ask someone, "hi where am I". Lol.

It is a personality thing IMV.

If you are an extrovert and can cope with dickeads after a few drinks on board....great.

I can't do that cos I am an introvert, hate crowds and small talk for no fekkin reason.

I am very popular too LOL. Everyone knows I am sound and I say it as it is. I look after myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Never been to a bad one tbh. I usually try to leave by 1am before it gets too messy.

Have my work one next weekend, in a new job. I've been told my colleagues get absolutely plastered and make a show of themselves. I can't wait to see what happens :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Icsics

So Folks,

I don't know which of the above is worse. One guy on my team took his shirt off and rubbed butter all over his chest and slide across the dance floor so that at least took some attention away from me. A lot of people got sick and I heard rumors of many 'sleepovers' and fights.

I go out with my friends all the time and drink and have fun. I never end up on their laps or singing into a fork.

A friend of mine got arrested twice at his Christmas party a few years ago actually, that was pretty bad.. :pac:

I'd love a night out with u!

Some awful dry sh1tes around here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

I woke up beside the bucket of a mini Digger and a bus stop one Christmas, the bus stop I can understand, but who the fúck can lift the bucket of a digger into my front room, now there were road work outside the house to be fair

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Nothing really beyond getting a bit sloppy and rambling in speech or (when single) flirting with the occasional colleague.

In fact, I usually avoid work Christmas parties because you can never really relax.

After reading this thread, however, I think I was fine and being overly paranoid about myself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Not me. A colleague.

Two years ago at the Christmas party, there was lots of wine consumed (& very little food). We usually have drinks in the communal area before retiring to our individual group areas for a few drinks, and then reconvene in a local pub.

Sounds complicated but it isn't.

Anyway. One of the girls got absolutely horrifically drunk. She fell asleep at the table so we just let her sleep, but when we were leaving we woke her and offered to put her in a taxi.

Biggest. Mistake. Ever.

She bolted. She ran out the door and disappeared into thin air. But not before throwing a few punches and shouting obscene insults at a few people.

Myself and one of the guys followed her. He didn't feel comfortable going after her by himself so I tagged along. It was a rather large game of hide and seek.

Ordinarily if someone has punched me I would leave them be, but she had no coat and it was FREEZING and I was worried about her. Every time we would find her she would run in the opposite direction.

Eventually we cornered her and managed to get her indoors for a while (the guy with us lived nearby) where we got her some food, water and a blanket to warm up. She fell asleep on the couch.

After about 30 mins she woke and bolted out the door, so off we follow her again. Eventually found her hiding between two wheely bins.

She somehow had her phone and we managed to get it from her and call her boyfriend to come and get her.

There was absolutely no mention of that night the following Monday in work, but said colleague hasn't been on a work night out since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Icsics

One year our Xmas lunch rolled into night time, in a local hotel. There was a wedding on...so we said we'd call in...all 30 of us...and they wouldn't even notice. Not til we were in the middle of the dance floor did we notice, it was a black tie wedding & full of govt ministers...we were asked to leave !

• Advertisement
Advertisement