Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraudulant Transactions

• 09-12-2016 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭

Yesterday, some absolute cnut emptied my current bank account, using a clone (presumably) of my wife's Visa Debit Card. 6 transactions, all in the UK, of which 3 were with insurance companies, which is very strange because their products are linked to a name. I can only presume they set up dummy online policies to test if the card payment would work. They then headed to 3 hardware stores and had a field day.

I was alerted to this by my bank, PTSB, who contacted me to say there was 'suspicious activity' on my account. Anyway, they were very helpful and passed all the details on to the Fraud Squad and will send me out Garda Forms etc. What they couldn't tell me is when they would be able to refund my money. They are sitting in my pending transactions, but I cannot use the funds. A few years ago, somebody hacked my VISA credit card and this was refunded immediately

Has anyone any idea of roughly how long it takes to get the money back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It really can depend. PTSB will have to evaluate the case when they get the declaration back, and timeframes will undoubtedly vary for each claim but from what has been said before on this forum, they have tended to be pretty good with refunding fraudulent transactions

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Helper1234

Hey Sue,

I worked in the Bank of Ireland fraud department until a month go so i can give you some info. All banks roughly work by the same guidelines so this should help.

I know in BOI when fraud is identified we say the investigation will take 5 working days. This is inaccurate it usually takes roughly 3 weeks depending on each individual case and some can take over a month.

Do you know if the transactions were swipe, chip and pin or contactless? Or internet transactions?

Unless they are swiped/c&p or contactless there is zero point in contacting the gards as there in nothing they can do. At this time of year so much fraud occurrs! Last christmas with BOI we had a backlog of 3000 unrefunded customers and investigations. People were frauded in november and didnt get their money back until January!

To be honest sue to get your money back in the next two days you have to be an absolute nuisance. Ive seen people refunded in 24 hours. You have to call every hour, ALWAYS demand to speak to a manager. Send emails and post on their twitter. The one thing banks dont want is bad publicity.

I hope this helps you in some way. Determination is key here! You are a customer, your unsatisfied and you want your money back now. An investigation only takes roughly 3 hours to work by a member of the team so anything else they say is pure crap!

Best of luck let me know how you get on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Helper1234 wrote: »
    Hey Sue,

I worked in the Bank of Ireland fraud department until a month go so i can give you some info. All banks roughly work by the same guidelines so this should help.

I know in BOI when fraud is identified we say the investigation will take 5 working days. This is inaccurate it usually takes roughly 3 weeks depending on each individual case and some can take over a month.

Do you know if the transactions were swipe, chip and pin or contactless? Or internet transactions?

Unless they are swiped/c&p or contactless there is zero point in contacting the gards as there in nothing they can do. At this time of year so much fraud occurrs! Last christmas with BOI we had a backlog of 3000 unrefunded customers and investigations. People were frauded in november and didnt get their money back until January!

To be honest sue to get your money back in the next two days you have to be an absolute nuisance. Ive seen people refunded in 24 hours. You have to call every hour, ALWAYS demand to speak to a manager. Send emails and post on their twitter. The one thing banks dont want is bad publicity.

I hope this helps you in some way. Determination is key here! You are a customer, your unsatisfied and you want your money back now. An investigation only takes roughly 3 hours to work by a member of the team so anything else they say is pure crap!

Best of luck let me know how you get on :)

Thanks for the info. I'll sit on them today. It was my wife's card and she made the call to the bank. The only thing she can recall them saying is that the 16 digit number was 'keyed in'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Just to update. I rattled their cage on Monday and explained a very (genuine) personal reason why I need access to the money immediately. I was refunded immediately. Well done PTSB

Advertisement