Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How legitimate are KBC?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

No. I wasn't asked to set up any kind of direct debit. You can if you want but it's not a requirement for the online regular saver acc. I have paid in and out using many bank accounts with no issue. It opens instantly and you get your iban and bic to start transferring at your leisure.

You can only make one lodgement a month into their regular saver. You used to be able to do multiple lodgements, but now if you send more than one they send them all back bar the first one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

newacc2015 wrote: »
    You can only make one lodgement a month into their regular saver. You used to be able to do multiple lodgements, but now if you send more than one they send them all back bar the first one

That's good to know, I wasn't aware there had been a change. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

newacc2015 wrote: »

... not for me they don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

KBC offers two options I think. One is card reader and another is standalone code generator (which I have). It's a bit cumbersome, I have to use the code-generator all the time - whereas with other banks might only use the extra security when setting up a new recipient.

Regarding the regular saver account - it's a max of e1000/month I think, doesn't matter how many transactions - but has to be by standing order.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Patww79 wrote: »
    KBC have an app. Their "Physical Digital Key" is optional in case you don't want to use your phone, you can do everything from the app

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You don't need any physical devices other than your phone to do anything with KBC. The Physical Digital Key is if you don't want to use your phone

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've had mine for several years and never had to do it myself, but the batteries in those are easily replaceable (2 x CR 2032 coin cells) if that's the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Just to clarify: with KBC once you have paired your phone with them you don't need any code generator or text message authentication. I'd say if mobile banking is your thing they probably have the best app amongst Irish banks (and certainly better than PTSB including how easy it is to authenticate).

To access online banking on the website, you can use a software access code generated on your paired phone. Which I guess is both convenient and possibly annoying as if you lose your phone you are stuck until you can pair a new one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bob24 wrote: »
    Just to clarify: with KBC once you have paired your phone with them you don't need any code generator or text message authentication. I'd say if mobile banking is your thing they probably have the best app amongst Irish banks (and certainly better than PTSB including how easy it is to authenticate).

To access online banking on the website, you can use a software access code generated on your paired phone. Which I guess is both convenient and possibly annoying as if you lose your phone you are stuck until you can pair a new one.

With KBC you still receive text messages for authenticating credit card purchases online. I think this is a mastercard thing rather than a KBC thing but just something to be aware of.

With KBC you still receive text messages for authenticating credit card purchases online. I think this is a mastercard thing rather than a KBC thing but just something to be aware of.

Yes that's 3D secure (which exists both with Visa and MasterCard but the bank can choose how to authenticate purchases - ether text messages which are more secure but require access to your phone connected to a mobile network, or as many Irish banks do just use a set password which is less safe but still useable even if you don't have access to your phone or a mobile network).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes that's 3D secure (which exists both with Visa and MasterCard but the bank can choose how to authenticate purchases - ether text messages which are more secure but require access to your phone connected to a mobile network, or as many Irish banks do just use a set password which is less safe but still useable even if you don't have access to your phone or a mobile network).

I didn't know the authentication method was set by the bank.

I didn't know the authentication method was set by the bank.

Actually banks can even choose not to implement 3D secure at all. Obviously it is not as safe but it's easier both for the bank which doesn't need the authentication infrastructure and the buyer as the payment just goes through immediately with no request for password or confirmation code (I guess for the banks it is a trade-off between how much it costs to implement and how many fraudulent transactions it is preventing whereby they would have to provide refunds to their customers).

But I learnt recently that a small amount of online businesses have a possibility to refuse payments from non 3D secure enabled cards and a small number have started to do so (a tiny minority though, it has never caused me any problem).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Bar the ridiculous levels of paperwork they keep sending me they are a fine bank.

They have Hubs for drafts or large sums of cash , the App is excellent and I have not used the card reader since I joined as everything goes through the app.

I found the them most competitive for Fees and interest on savings out there .

Advertisement