Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaning off a soother

Options
  • 09-12-2016 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

What's the best age to wean off a soother my little man is 8 months I'd like to get rid of it now although he seems very attached to it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

We went cold turkey at 4 and 6 months (eldest at 6 months). There was a few days of grumpiness but it passes quickly enough. Extra cuddles at bed time to help smooth the transition. We also had a teddy to replace it for bed time etc

If it works maybe try restrict instead of remove. We took it away as as soon as it fell out they would wake so we're constantly putting it in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I did 9 months with first, 6 months with second. Both were too young for it to be a major issue and 3 nights later both had no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Woodbrook, we only got rid of the soother a couple of months ago when my daughter was 2 years and 4 months. Even though she only had it at nap time and bedtime and occasionally on long car journeys. I noticed that her top teeth and bottom teeth didn’t meet (if you can imagine her barring her teeth, there was quite a sizeable gap in the middle) The dentist confirmed that this was due to soother use. She said that because we got rid of it relatively early (as opposed to 3/4/5 years of age) her teeth should be fine once her adult teeth come through. It gave me a bit of a shock though as in my mind, she wasn’t an excessive user. Any further kids and I’ll be getting shot of it before they are one. I’d say there’s no time like the present, and I would actually recommend cold turkey, I think it sends mixed messages just trying to cut down. Granted my little girl was older and understood what was going on, but a couple of days of hardship and you’ll find he’ll have forgotten all about it. Try and do it over a weekend or maybe over Christmas when you’re both at home and can take turns dealing with him at night. You both need to be on the same page as there might be times you want to crack and give it back to him!

Advertisement