Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled Credit Card in April, used in November

• 09-12-2016 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Here's a weird one, I cancelled my credit card in April and thought all was grand. I hadn't removed it from my online banking though.

I noticed then that there was a payment made on it for travel insurance, which is an annual recurring charge which I forgot to stop.

I rang up my bank and I asked them why my old credit card was used eventhough it was supposed to be cancelled. They said that the travel insurance company "forced" through the charge eventhough the credit card was closed and I'm to get on to the travel insurance company and ask them why they "forced" through the payment. They kept saying that the account was closed but I kept asking how it is closed and a payment can be made on it? makes no sense to me

Surely this is the banks fault as they allowed the payment and the credit card is not closed, eventhough they say it is closed? Surely the bank should not accepted this payment from my old credit card ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking, Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

mada999 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Here's a weird one, I cancelled my credit card in April and thought all was grand. I hadn't removed it from my online banking though.

I noticed then that there was a payment made on it for travel insurance, which is an annual recurring charge which I forgot to stop.

I rang up my bank and I asked them why my old credit card was used eventhough it was supposed to be cancelled. They said that the travel insurance company "forced" through the charge eventhough the credit card was closed and I'm to get on to the travel insurance company and ask them why they "forced" through the payment. They kept saying that the account was closed but I kept asking how it is closed and a payment can be made on it? makes no sense to me

Surely this is the banks fault as they allowed the payment and the credit card is not closed, eventhough they say it is closed? Surely the bank should not accepted this payment from my old credit card ?

Afraid no, in this case they aren't at fault. For renewing payments like this, there is a system called continuous payment authority. It was your responsibility to redirect or cancel any subscriptions/recurring payments etc which you had signed up for on that card. When presented with the charge, the card issuer was obliged to honour it as you had granted that company permission to renew before you cancelled the card.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Also, from the renewal date of the travel insurance, you would have had a 14 day cooling-off period to cancel and receive a full refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Beat this.
    Hired a car in Portugal on a BoI credit card. Closed that card account the end of the year as I switched my banking to AIB. A year and a half later, Sixt charged my long dead BOI card for a toll charge that hadn't been paid. It then got deducted from my AIB card.

AIB never gave me an explanation as to why this happened so I closed accounts with them too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

They tried to claim sixt had the AIB card number on file which was nonsense.

Advertisement