Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Labrador with separation anxiety, any tips?

• 09-12-2016 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much as it says on the tin. My partner's parents are off on a well earned holiday, left the start of this week and back in January. They have a 15 month (approx) Labrador bitch, and we and his brother are taking over dog duties in their absence.

Just to give you a feeling for her normal routine, which we're of course trying to keep as close to normal as possible. Partner's mother (M) works part-time, so she'd be the primary care giver. Her husband (F) works long hours but the dog is mad about him too. Partner's brother (B) is in the house 2 or 3 nights a week, does a fair bit of the walks at weekends and stuff, dog is well used to him. She's less used to me and my partner but does know us and is reasonably obedient for us (she's full of energy and, um, 'spirit'). One or two long walks a day plus shorter ones for pees and poos, fed twice a day, sleeps in the bedroom but not in the actual bed; all that is staying the same - and we haven't moved her, all this is going on in her usual house.

The poor wee thing is heartbroken though. She's constantly going around looking for M and F, checking all the rooms and stuff, spends a lot of time watching the front door and whining (it's not that she needs to relieve herself, we thought that the first few times). She's not off her food (Labradors eh) but just seems out of sorts. She's very clingy to us, like sits on top of us if we sit on the couch. Had a few of those moments where it seems like she's trying to talk to us and tell us what's wrong :( A couple of times she's been sitting beside me and I've put my arm around her and her wee heart is hammering, I'm just worried that she's very stressed and feels abandoned or something. She is acting up a small bit as well, there's a cat in the house and the two of them usually get on fine, bit of rough and tumble but just playful, but there's been a couple of occasions where she's been too rough to him and he's swiped at her, she's a strong healthy dog and could do a lot of damage very quickly if she wanted.

They've been gone since Sunday and she doesn't seem to be settling. Anybody any experience with this? Will she just kind of get used to it over the next while? Is there anything I'm not doing that I should be doing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

It's good that you're tuned in and aware of the dog's anxiety. My poor lad a number of years ago got so upset when we went away that he sat with his head down for a week and got weeping dermatitis on his neck as a result. In retrospect, our friends who were his minders were not really animal people, even though they'd had a few of their own and made much of him when they visited us. You seem more tuned in.

Lots of cuddles and reassurance. I'm firmly convinced that a dog understands the gist of what you're saying a lot of the time. I've phoned(!) my dog when I've been away in the past and it reassures her so if your in-laws can even leave a voicemail telling dog they'll be home soon it may help. You can then replay it as often as you want as opposed to a 'live' call. If you can get your paws on a bottle of Adaptil it may help. Doubtless others will have advice here too.

If that and good old tlc aren't working, a phone-call to the dog's vet might be in order for some professional advice from someone who knows her. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I'd exercise her as much as possible to wear her out. Lots of walks, but also distracting play in the house, does she like to play ball, or have a favourite toy? I hide my dogs ball in the house and send him off looking for it, like doggy hide and seek! Anything that can distract her will surely take her mind off them. I also think she probably will get used to the new routine.

Stuff a Kong with treats to keep her busy too. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yeah I had wondered about the hearing their voice thing, wasn't sure if it would just distress her more though. They're due to Skype tomorrow and I'm sure they'll want to say hi anyway :)

Plenty and plenty of TLC has been my approach so far, been tempted to spoil her with treats too but have to be careful with that.

Sorry to hear about your dog's bad experience, they have such a strong emotional life it's amazing how little well meaning people can pick up on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The dermatitis was over 20 years ago, but thanks. We all make mistakes and that is one I'll always regret but don't really beat myself up about anymore (much).

It was a big wake-up around pet insurance and education though and it made me circumspect about taking on another dog until recently when I knew I had people who I could trust to back me up.

You're clued in. You'll cope and you have a back-up here on boards.

Advertisement