Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost dog

• 09-12-2016 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Driving home from work last night, there was a dog running around the street. She was totally disoriented and I almost hit her, as did a couple of other cars. So I pulled over and caught the dog. I spoke to a woman on the street who took a picture of the dog and she put it up on facebook.
    I took the dog home and fed and cleaned her.
    So the dogs owner saw the facebook post and the woman rang me today to let me know if it's ok to give my number. Not a problem.
    So I eventually handed the dog back about an hour ago. I just got a call from the owner asking why I took the dog. He said to mind my own dogs and he will mind his.
    Cheekily I said he clearly wasn't minding his dog last night and he started cursing me out of it. He wanted to know why I took the dog and if I do it again, he will 'come for me'.
    I just hung up on him.
    Has this happened to anyone else? I'm not sure what he thinks I was trying to do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

eezipc wrote: »
    Driving home from work last night, there was a dog running around the street. She was totally disoriented and I almost hit her, as did a couple of other cars. So I pulled over and caught the dog. I spoke to a woman on the street who took a picture of the dog and she put it up on facebook.
    I took the dog home and fed and cleaned her.
    So the dogs owner saw the facebook post and the woman rang me today to let me know if it's ok to give my number. Not a problem.
    So I eventually handed the dog back about an hour ago. I just got a call from the owner asking why I took the dog. He said to mind my own dogs and he will mind his.
    Cheekily I said he clearly wasn't minding his dog last night and he started cursing me out of it. He wanted to know why I took the dog and if I do it again, he will 'come for me'.
    I just hung up on him.
    Has this happened to anyone else? I'm not sure what he thinks I was trying to do.

That guy is a scumbag.

There's probably not much you can do, OP, but if you really wanted to, you could ask the gardai to have a word with this guy after he threatened you.

Hopefully the dog will see sense and stay away the next time. He sounds like a **** owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

That guy is a scumbag.

There's probably not much you can do, OP, but if you really wanted to, you could ask the gardai to have a word with this guy after he threatened you.

Hopefully the dog will see sense and stay away the next time. He sounds like a **** owner.

I have his number saved under that name actually in case he rings back. I rang that woman afterwards just to let her know what happened. She was shocked. Both of us were trying to do the right thing. I'm certain that dog would have been hit by a car if I didn't grab her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I have his number saved under that name actually in case he rings back. I rang that woman afterwards just to let her know what happened. She was shocked. Both of us were trying to do the right thing. I'm certain that dog would have been hit by a car if I didn't grab her.

What an ass!! Ignore him hes annoyed his bad ownership has been shown up in public.
    Did you tell anyone you had the dog op? Guards, dog warden etc? Let whoever you told know about his threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Give the dog to the dog warden and txt him telling him. He'll have to pay a fine to get the dog back.

Nothing else you can do within the law, the dog is hi

Edit - sorry just saw you had handed it back already.

What an ass!! Ignore him hes annoyed his bad ownership has been shown up in public.
    Did you tell anyone you had the dog op? Guards, dog warden etc? Let whoever you told know about his threat.
    No, just the lady yesterday and people at work.I might just do that though.
    I think he thinks that I might be looking to keep the dog or something. I really don't know what his problem is. He's a bit of a bully if anything.

• Advertisement

ganmo wrote: »
    Give the dog to the dog warden and txt him telling him. He'll have to pay a fine to get the dog back.

Nothing else you can do within the law, the dog is his
    He has the dog. That's the weird thing, he rang after he got the dog to f@@k me out if it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I'm so sorry to put this thought in your head, but how do you know for certain it was the claimant's dog? Some people actively pursue adverts about dogs looking for people to claim them. Unless I had absolute proof (photos, chips, certs), I wouldn't hand a dog to a randomer.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    I'm so sorry to put this thought in your head, but how do you know for certain it was the claimant's dog? Some people actively pursue adverts about dogs looking for people to claim them. Unless I had absolute proof (photos, chips, certs), I wouldn't hand a dog to a randomer.
    I know but I did check all that. I'm fairly sure it's his dog so that's not really an issue in this case. The dog had an unusual feature which he knew about.
    Although the dog isn't chipped, but I recommended to him that he should do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,888 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Dubl07 wrote: »

I rehomed a dog after finding her lost, underweight, distressed and unkept. After a poster and online campaign to find the owner failed a friend took her on. Perfect situation, wealthy couple, one working from home, already with one dog etc.. she lives like a queen now.

I forgot to remove one poster from a Garda station and got a call from some clown asking for the dog months later. When I told him the dog was rehomed he demanded the cost of the dog (€1000!), I in turn told him (spoofing) that the Garda and the Dog Warden was interested in talking to him he hung up. I called him back and he didn't answer.

Chancers.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I rehomed a dog after finding her lost, underweight, distressed and unkept. After a poster and online campaign to find the owner failed a friend took her on. Perfect situation, wealthy couple, one working from home, already with one dog etc.. she lives like a queen now.

I forgot to remove one poster from a Garda station and got a call from some clown asking for the dog months later. When I told him the dog was rehomed he demanded the cost of the dog (€1000!), I in turn told him (spoofing) that the Garda and the Dog Warden was interested in talking to him he hung up. I called him back and he didn't answer.

Chancers.
    My job entails dealing with people a lot and I'm not a bit surprised. Sad but not surprised.

• Advertisement

No, just the lady yesterday and people at work.I might just do that though.
    I think he thinks that I might be looking to keep the dog or something. I really don't know what his problem is. He's a bit of a bully if anything.

It's where problems could start....i know you said you checked he was the owner but it should have been reported to the warden and dealt with properly. They are the only people who can deal with strays, legally rehome them etc

It's a lovely kind and thoughtful thing to do though so I hope it's the end of it.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I rehomed a dog. After a poster and online campaign to find the owner failed a friend took her on.

I got a call from some clown asking for the dog months later. When I told him the dog was rehomed he demanded the cost of the dog (€1000!)

Does anyone know (and I'm just curious it's not a criticism) in this situation if a proper original owner turned up 6 months later with real proofs of ownership and a reasonable explanation (like the dog was stolen) I would guess the dog would have to be handed back as rehoming wasn't done legally with pound time through the dog warden?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I found a little Cavalier in a fairly remote spot in the pouring rain... Had been raining all day, she was saturated. There was another little raggle-taggle terrier with her, but he ran off whilst the Cav came to me. I brought her home, scanned her for a chip (there wasn't one), and got her into a foster home to keep her safe. I put a poster up in the local shop.

A while later, the owner called. She asked me how come I had only taken the Cav, a pedigree dog, but had let the scruffy terrier go... Was it because I knew the Cav was worth a few quid?!!
    I told her that yes, I'm in the business of robbing dogs and putting posters up in the local Spar about them with "Found" in big letters and my phone number on them. I may also have told her to piss off, that I wouldn't bother my arse helping her dog the next time... I'd just call the dog warden so that she could pay the fine to get the dog back.
    Seriously... I sometimes wonder how I share the planet with people like that!

Does anyone know (and I'm just curious it's not a criticism) in this situation if a proper original owner turned up 6 months later with real proofs of ownership and a reasonable explanation (like the dog was stolen) I would guess the dog would have to be handed back as rehoming wasn't done legally with pound time through the dog warden?

Yes, they have 366 days to claim the dog back.

I find the advice here pretty disgraceful. Basically encouraging stealing dogs from their owner. No wonder this forum is considered a no go area by most.

I find the advice here pretty disgraceful. Basically encouraging stealing dogs from their owner. No wonder this forum is considered a no go area by most.

If you're talking about my post, the "owner" clearly wasn't the owner.

Regarding the other posts? The owners were clearly irresponsible owners, the posters on this thread saved dogs from being roadkill and returned them (unfortunately, but legally) to the irresponsible owners.

What advice is pretty disgraceful in your expert opinion?

Would you happen to have lost your dog in Mayo last night?
    Nobody has mentioned anything about stealing dogs.

Not sure. I think I'll find out tomorrow. Garda station is down the road so I'll ask.

Okay Evangeline Uninterested Snowmobile, I'm going to level with you here.
    I'm getting really bored with your constant attempts to run this forum down not only in the forum itself, but in other forums too. A no go area by "most" , is it? Have you conducted a scientific survey and statistical analysis of the boards membership, is that it?
    So, seeing as you have such a problem with this forum, I'd suggest you stop using it. One thing I can absolutely assure you of... If you run the forum down one more time, either here or in other forums, I will issue a permanent ban to relieve you of the compulsion you appear to have in continuing to use a forum you have such a problem with, because at this stage, you're soapboxing.
    If you wish to discuss this any further, please feel free to PM me or any of the other mod team. Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Not sure. I think I'll find out tomorrow. Garda station is down the road so I'll ask.

Hopefully you'll get a Garda that cares. Ten years ago I strongarmed a staffy cross from a feral East Galway based outfit that camped themselves in Ringsend in Dublin near the pigeon house. They were using the terrier as a bait dog. They came after me in my home to get the dog back (after she was patched up by a vet at my expense of course) but I was fully backed up by a kind hearted sergeant in Irishtown Garda station that had an interest in dogs and could see exactly what was happening.

She, the sergeant, was a bit of a bull terrier herself. Hammered them with everything she had to send them home. Good riddance. Unfortunately, they still carry on with their antics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

That's so good of the sergeant.
    My biggest fear about losing pets is to think they'd end up as bait dogs/cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

That's so good of the sergeant.
    My biggest fear about losing pets is to think they'd end up as bait dogs/cat.

Me too.

I often think that "feral outfits" (what a great turn of phrase, John_Rambo) camping anywhere should be greeted by local gardai wielding microchip scanners and checking for dog licences plus certificates of vaccinations. Are there any other possible proofs of ownership?

I'm not sure if they'd be able to fit all the seized animals in a transit van.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Michelle_b

I would be relieved beyond belief that someone had found my dog and taken her in. Most people would be beyond grateful and relieved that you had helped OP

Michelle_b wrote: »
    I would be relieved beyond belief that someone had found my dog and taken her in. Most people would be beyond grateful and relieved that you had helped OP
    As would I. I cleaned the dog, fed her and she even slept in the bed. I only did what I would hope someone would do if my dog went missing.
    This guy got his dog back less than 24 hours after I found her so I'm still not sure why he was so pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Michelle_b

More than most would do. I can totally understand how you would feel getting that phone call. I would have been dropping off a present with huge thank you!! Instead you are left fuming after receiving abuse! Uh! I think I will never understand some people!

Advertisement