Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorcycle GPS Phone

• 09-12-2016 10:07pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

want to get a satnav for my m-bike for next year. and they are not cheap compared to a car model.

so - is it possible (outside of the mounting issue) to use a waterproof android phone with downloaded maps and use of gps - no sim needed.
    and also use wireless charging - to eliminate using a usb connection.
    I can add a fused power connection from the battery to the wireless charger.

Not buying yet - just thinking about it - so would a phone like this work ??

any other thoughts !!

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Interphone make holders for several well known phones out there.
    http://www.cottermc.com/interphone-1/interphone-bike-holders-1
    These holders are very good quality, I have one on order for a Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    I still far prefer my Zumo 660/550 though, I see a gps phone as a extra aid.
    I don't know the phone you mention so I cant reply about it, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

karltimber wrote: »
    Hi folks,

want to get a satnav for my m-bike for next year. and they are not cheap compared to a car model.

so - is it possible (outside of the mounting issue) to use a waterproof android phone with downloaded maps and use of gps - no sim needed.
    and also use wireless charging - to eliminate using a usb connection.
    I can add a fused power connection from the battery to the wireless charger.

Not buying yet - just thinking about it - so would a phone like this work ??

any other thoughts !!

K

I got a Garmin Nuvo a few years ago for use on the bike, it's designed for bike use so is waterproof. I do not think many phones are made waterproof enough for use on a bike handle bar. But you can buy cases to make any phone waterproof, how use able they will be with motorbike gloves on I don't know m

Advertisement