Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap bike for turbo?

Options
  • 09-12-2016 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hello all. I recently got a Tacx turbo, and I'm thinking about getting a cheap road bike to permanently attach to it. Is this a good idea? I currently only have one bike, a Trek 1.2, and it's a pain in the backside to constantly have to install and remove it, not to mention the room I use it in is upstairs. (Life is so hard, I know.) I almost had my head turned by that lovely PlanetX Pro Carbon self-build in another thread, but since I've never assembled a bike before, and I don't actually *need* a second bike, and I don't have €1,000 lying around, I've decided that's a stupid idea.

I would, however, be prepared to spend a smaller amount on a cheap bike and let it live on the turbo. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

It's a great idea. I've done it myself. Putting the bike up on the turbo everytime you want to use it is a pain and the fewer barriers there are to getting going on the turbo, the more likely you are to get on the turbo in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

get a cheap road-bike from halfords. about 300 quid which at least gives you the geometry. the weight, looks, groupset wont matter much if its permanently on the turbo. its not a bad idea actually.. i tend to turbo more when i could get away with leaving my set up standing between sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Thanks for the replies, lads. Food for thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I was thinking of doing this to as i can use the bike to work scheme it would work out very cheap. However i can't use Halfords and all the usual brands are pretty expensive for a cheap bike. What are the options out there with a Claris groupset? I suppose what is the best cheap bike from a bricks and mortar shop for about 500 or cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'd go second hand for sure. And if you've a good turbo with a large range of resistance then even a single speed would do. would do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

davef1000 wrote: »
    Hello all. I recently got a Tacx turbo, and I'm thinking about getting a cheap road bike to permanently attach to it. Is this a good idea? I currently only have one bike, a Trek 1.2, and it's a pain in the backside to constantly have to install and remove it, not to mention the room I use it in is upstairs. (Life is so hard, I know.) I almost had my head turned by that lovely PlanetX Pro Carbon self-build in another thread, but since I've never assembled a bike before, and I don't actually *need* a second bike, and I don't have €1,000 lying around, I've decided that's a stupid idea.

I would, however, be prepared to spend a smaller amount on a cheap bike and let it live on the turbo. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Another option would be to get a spinning bike. These can be bought cheap on adverts. I find with a bike on a turbo you cannot be too aggressive out of the saddle as you risk damaging the frame as the rear wheel is fixed at the axle. The spinning bike are a lot more robust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Got a 2011 Trek 1.5 in my LBS for €300,same size frame as my current bike. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

ADW1 wrote: »
    Another option would be to get a spinning bike. These can be bought cheap on adverts. I find with a bike on a turbo you cannot be too aggressive out of the saddle as you risk damaging the frame as the rear wheel is fixed at the axle. The spinning bike are a lot more robust.

I would have thought this also but they don't seem to be as popular as turbos. Is this cause it's easier to hook up your gadgets to your bike?

I use the spin bikes in ben dunnes gym and just head in there on my own and watch a spin video on my phone from GCN, great selection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

davef1000 wrote: »
    Got a 2011 Trek 1.5 in my LBS for €300,same size frame as my current bike. Delighted!

Fair play to you. I think it's a great idea if you can leave it in place. Dragging out the turbo, dragging out the bike, setting it up and putting it all away after definitely impacts on motivation. If I could solve the problem for €300 I would certainly do it. Unfortunately in my case, I would need to build a garage or something first.

Advertisement