Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Hell with Good Intentions.

Options
  • 09-12-2016 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Must be time to start logging again.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Great minds think alike :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

RJM85 wrote: »
    Must be time to start logging again.

Good to see you back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Was wondering what was going on!! Its December lad, get logging!!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Main goals:

· Qualify for the 2018 70.3 WC & AG Podium at Dublin 70.3
    · Sub 3hr marathon at Dublin Marathon

Main races:

· Newry Marathon (28th May – B)
    · Tri an Mhi Olympic (10th June - B)
    · Dublin 70.3 (20th August - A)
    · Dublin Marathon (29th October - A)

Progress / Other Goals:

· 10% BF
    · Sub 21 minute 10TT
    · Sub 85 minute HM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Working with a coach again RJM?

That's the world champs in South Africa? That would be a great race I'd say.

I would have thought you would be well able for a sub 1.25HM already. Is that off the bike or in a seperate race? I'm around 30 seconds over it and your 10km PB would be a fair bit better than mine, I'd have thought you would have been well able for around 1.22/1.23.

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    Working with a coach again RJM?

That's the world champs in South Africa? That would be a great race I'd say.

I would have thought you would be well able for a sub 1.25HM already. Is that off the bike or in a seperate race? I'm around 30 seconds over it and your 10km PB would be a fair bit better than mine, I'd have thought you would have been well able for around 1.22/1.23.

Yes - same coach as last year. The plan is a fairly similar approach with a little more focus on strength for the moment. First week in January will be the start of training proper, but I'm already in the gym 3 days a week focusing on building strength.

Yes - SA. To be honest I'm not sure it mattered where the race would be - I feel like I missed an experience this year and I want to tick that off the bucketlist.

PB for HM is 1:25:24 - that was set in 2013 and I've equalled it in training since then without a "race effort". You're probably right that fit I could go lower in an A race but any HM I do will be treated as a C race and will be done on tired legs. You could probably debate the necessity to put that target in there, but it is something I'd like to make sure I tick off while going about the bigger goals. It's hopefully more of a "progress marker goal" if that makes sense?

Back to structured training effectively from NYE. The offseason was a bit of a mixed bag with a nasty chest infection derailing a lot of my plans. It all stemmed from a cold I picked up in August and was exacerbated by my underestimating its impact and racing twice (at Borderman 70.3 and Pulse Sprint). I have done intermittent bits of decent training – certainly more than the offseason last year, but nothing near the level I had hoped. I’ve knocked a few planned sessions on the head in favour of family time, which I think was a good move; and I’ve piled on an impressive amount of weight too. That said; when compared to this time last year I’m in similar shape body composition wise, and marginally fitter (about 10 CTL points according to Training Peaks).

31st Jan – NYE Time Trial

This is a tradition run by the local cycling club and I’ve done it almost every year since I bought a bike. The course changed from the familiar 10 mile route this year to a shorter 12km route on a different stretch of road. I didn’t go into this expecting much, and my expectations were pretty much met 100%. I held ~300w for just under 19 minutes which, basically, is what it is. I certainly wouldn’t be happy with that once the season is in full swing, but it gives me a starting point. My FTP on Training Peaks has been set as ~270 for the moment.

1st Jan

Long Run - 90 minutes – 15.5km - easy / steady ~5.30/km pace. Nothing fancy or strenuous, just running really easy.

2nd Jan

Rec Run – 40 minutes – 6.68km – 3mins @ 5min/km, 2 mins walking – repeat.

Bike – 40minutes – easy evening spinning.

3rd Jan

Weights – 30 minutes – lunge walk, bodyweight stuff. No real weight here for the moment, just getting back in the routine.

Swim – 25 minutes – 1.5k – aerobic swim. Probably not the best idea to have my first swim in a while straight after a weights session, but it went ok. Arms tiring fairly quick, but the form and pace were fairly decent considering.

Bike – 90 minutes – cadence sets.

4th Jan

Run – 30 minutes – done on a treadmill with intervals of 90 seconds @ 10km, 30 seconds @ 13km – focussed on getting good leg turnover on the faster bits.

Swim – 35 minutes – 2k – similar to yesterday – tiring early, but not too bad overall.

Weights – 30 minutes – Dumbbell set – again, not big weights, but getting back to the feel for it and will add more weight and volume as we progress.

Early days yet, but so far everything is going pretty well (including food!). A good first week back will really help build the momentum.

5th Jan

Run – 20mins – easy on treadmill.

Swim – 1hr – 3k. I had to split this session in two. Just after getting in the water I remembered something I forgot to do in the office and needed to get in before 9 to get it sorted.

Did the WU & CD in the morning (just swam straight EZ) and then main set @ lunch. Similar to the last couple of swims - arms tiring easier than I remember, but the feel for the water doesn't seem that bad and I'm getting the rhythm going pretty well. I want to work on getting the cadence up another bit as that seemed to be working well for me towards the end of last year, but I think I'll need a couple more swims to get the strength back to a decent level first.

6th Jan

Run – 1hr – long run – again, on the treadmill.

Weights – 30mins – lifts and things – starting to get back in the swing of these.

7th Jan

Bike – 1hr – turbo – interval session.

Run – 20mins – easy off the bike.

8th Jan

Bike – 3hrs – easy / steady long bike. 3 punctures and had to walk the last mile home in my cleats. I did this fasted and suffered a bit towards the end – as to be expected – I’m not sure it’s an approach I’ll continue with as I found it very difficult to show restraint with food in the immediate aftermath…

Run – 40 mins – hill reps done late in the evening, but went well and was able to push pretty hard.

Happy with how the first week went overall. Turned everything green on training peaks; diet was good for the most part (bar Sunday post bike); and enjoying being back in the swing of things.

Totals:

Swim: 2hrs / 6.5k

Bike: 6hrs 20 / 164km

Run: 3hrs 30 / 36.3km

Weights: 1hrs 30

Total: 13hrs 20

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

good to see you back

Did the WU & CD in the morning (just swam straight EZ) and then main set @ lunch.

doing the warm down before the main set. and 4 hours at that.

i know they say do whatever works for you but that's a novel concept..:)

mossym wrote: »
    good to see you back

doing the warm down before the main set. and 4 hours at that.

i know they say do whatever works for you but that's a novel concept..:)

Purely an exercise in logging the miles....

• Advertisement

5th Jan
    Bike – 3hrs – easy / steady long bike. 3 punctures and had to walk the last mile home in my cleats. I did this fasted and suffered a bit towards the end – as to be expected – I’m not sure it’s an approach I’ll continue with as I found it very difficult to show restraint with food in the immediate aftermath…

I've been trialing this over the last few spins and find the complete fast is counter productive for me - has me craving the whole day long which i don't have the discipline for.
    By having the porridge and a banana or 2 during the spin reduces my post post ride craving for the top press...

I've been trialing this over the last few spins and find the complete fast is counter productive for me - has me craving the whole day long which i don't have the discipline for.
    By having the porridge and a banana or 2 during the spin reduces my post post ride craving for the top press...

You know, I'm fairly certain I've come to this conclusion on more than one occasion but I guess I was hoping for different results this time round or something.

Monday

Swim – 35mins – 2k

Tuesday

Weights – 40min – bodyweight, lunges

Run – 20mins – 3km - easy on treadmill

Wednesday

Long run – 1hr 35 – 16.9km – easy with HR cap. Slow and a bit boring, but a decent run.

Weights – 30mins – Dumb bell set

Thursday

Swim – 1hr – 3.2km – swimming is starting to come back to its old level. That’s happened quicker than last year, so that’s a good sign.

Bike – 1hr – easy spinning

Run – 20mins – 3.9k - easy off the bike

Friday

Run – 50min – 8km – treadmill – run / walk mix

Weights – 40mins – mixed set of heavier lifting and bodyweight stuff

Bike – 1hr 30 – Big Gear session

I had to miss a swim session planned for lunch time on Friday as my wife was in a car accident with the kids and I left work to go home. Nobody hurt and all ok. We’ll have a big insurance bill in October but in the circumstances the important thing is that everyone is alright.

Saturday

Bike – 1hr 30 – bike – short hard intervals of 30 seconds.

Run – 35mins – 2 minute circuit building to full on sprint for 30 seconds.

Sunday

Bike – 4hrs – 102km – easy aerobic riding – I wouldn’t have been as strong at the end of 4 hours like this at this time last year, so there’s a few signs already that I’m ahead of where I was at 12 months ago.

Run – 20 mins – 3km – easy

Totals

Swim – 1hr 30 – 5.2k

Bike – 8hrs

Run – 4hrs – 40.8km

Strength – 1hr 50

Total – 15hrs 10.

Overall it was a decent week with good signs. I had to reshuffle some of the training meaning that the end of the week was a bit more busy than the start. Part of this was to do with recovery after last weeks long bike and part of it was to do with kids not sleeping / colds in the house.

Diet and weight is still moving in the right direction but I've still got plenty of work to do.

Glad to hear the family are alright RJM.

That's a good solid training week there, doesn't seem to be taking you long to get back into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Those cravings stop over time but you also need to limit the amount of crap you eat too before you see the benefits. Otherwise I think you're just confusing the body.

Glad to hear the family are alright RJM.

Yeah. Family is the important thing. Given what happened to that lady in Meath over the weekend it's relatively easy to put some perspective on a missed swim and a larger than you'd like insurance premium.

I genuinely think that a proper break over the winter is the best way of ensuring you're ready to get started in January. 90% of logging the training is mental!

Meant to ask you yesterday RJM, what do you count as a proper break over the winter? Did you stop training completely or just do a bit when you wanted?

I took some proper time off at the end of last year, earlier than most, my season was over after Dublin half. Went on holidays, built a shed, done some work around the house. Probably took too much time completely off if I'm honest but it was definitely good for the head space.

Meant to ask you yesterday RJM, what do you count as a proper break over the winter? Did you stop training completely or just do a bit when you wanted?

I took some proper time off at the end of last year, earlier than most, my season was over after Dublin half. Went on holidays, built a shed, done some work around the house. Probably took too much time completely off if I'm honest but it was definitely good for the head space.

Sorry - kept thinking to respond to this at times when I actually couldn't...

I think the off season break needs to be different things to different people. It depends on how hard you've worked (especially the mental stress) over the season, what else is in your life, how do you best unwind...

For me, I like to completely forget about tri for a couple of weeks. I'll have a beer most nights, eat whatever I want and I'll do *some* training only if I feel like it, and I'll spend more time with the kids, my wife, meet friends etc.I don't drink during the season and I might see friends only once or twice during the year until the off season.

My average month last year in season was between 70-80 hours - for October November and December I think the highest month was 20 hours and I did no swimming for almost 2 months. For me, the sign of a good off season is that you're really itching to go in the last week or two in December, and unless you've got really early season goals I don't feel like there's any need to start any earlier than January.

I'm a kind of all in or nothing person though, so I'm not sure that approach is best for everyone. I certainly feel like I need it each year though - certainly in the last two seasons where my training load and commitment to training was relatively high.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

think you are right on this - not good for the mind to be always focused on training. there is a lot more to do than just SBR! i still like to be active in the off season but only when its convenient. anyhow after a few weeks training you are back to where you left off

MD1983 wrote: »
    think you are right on this - not good for the mind to be always focused on training. there is a lot more to do than just SBR! i still like to be active in the off season but only when its convenient. anyhow after a few weeks training you are back to where you left off

It comes back a lot quicker than most people think I think....

• Advertisement

Monday

Bike – 1hr – Easy spinning

Tuesday

Weights – 30mins – dumbbell stuff – found this quite tough. In a small bit of a hole after last week’s long bike and struggled a little Monday and Tuesday of this week with tiredness.

Wednesday

Run – 1hr 40 – long run – easy with a HR cap. Slow, but a bit faster than last week. Comfortable.

Swim – 1hr – 3k – swimming is going well and part of me is looking forward to the first test week to see where it’s at.

Thursday

Weights – 40mins – bodyweight and lunges

Run – 40 mins – hill reps

Swim – 1hr – 3.2k

Run – 20 mins – easy

Friday

Run – 50 mins – mix of running and walking.

Weights – 35 mins – another mix of bodyweight exercises and heavier stuff. Seeing progress here and while I’m not lifting big weights I’m lifting the same as I was around May last year which is progress.

Swim – 1hr – 3.5k

Bike – 1hr 30 – 3 *15mins @ just below threshold. Good session – total sweat fest!

Saturday

Bike – 1hr 45 – 2 * 25mins sweet spot – another sweat fest.

Run – 20 mins easy (not easy enough) off the bike. Feeling good and had to hold back more than once.

Sunday

Long bike – 4 hours.

Totals:

Swim – 2hrs 40 – 9.7km

Bike - 8hrs 18 – 218km

Run 4hrs 5 – 38.7km

Strength – 1hr 50

Total - 16hrs 55

Monday

Bike – 40 mins easy spinning

Tuesday

Long run – 1hr – 11.7km – negative split run based on HR caps for out and back.

Wednesday

Swim – 1.5k aerobic set.

Run – 30 mins with 5 x 1 minute efforts.

Thursday

Aerobic Run test – 40 mins with 10 minutes each at specific HR’s. Pace was slower than I’d like, but it’s a good starting reference point and it will improve as weight goes down.

Swim – 2km – main set of 50’s.

Friday

Long swim – 3.3k – just get in and swim for an hour.

Saturday

Aerobic Bike test - 40 mins with 10 minutes each at specific HR’s – Pwr figures very much in line with this time last year.

Bike – 1hr – 8x1 mins efforts

Run – 15mins easy off the bike.

Sunday

Long bike – 2hrs -55km

Run – 15mins easy off the bike

S&C – 40 mins aerobic strength – mostly bodyweight type stuff.

Totals:

Swim: 2hrs; 6.8km

Bike: 4hrs 20; 116km

Run: 2hrs 40; 28.9km

S&C: 40mins

Total: 9hrs 40

First rec week done. Things are moving in the right direction, and weight is down 3.5kg so far. Plenty of work yet to be done but it’s moving along nicely in the right direction.

In other news; our new club gear arrived this week. I was involved in getting the design and arranging the order etc. Really happy with how it's all turned out.

Modelled in the attached by some club mates...

In other news; our new club gear arrived this week. I was involved in getting the design and arranging the order etc. Really happy with how it's all turned out.

Modelled in the attached by some club mates...

Nice kit looks the job

Monday

Swim – 3k

Bike – 40 minutes – easy spinning

Tuesday

S&C – 40 minutes – Dumbbell set

Bike – 90 minutes – 5*5minutes @ building to threshold

Wednesday

Run – 1hr – 4 * 8 minutes descending pace

Swim – 1.5k – easy

Thursday

S&C – 45minutes – mixed bag of heavy lifting and bodyweight stuff.

Bike – plan was for a BG set, however my turbo stopped working about 15 minutes in and is now deceased. Did my long run in place of this session

Run – 1hr 40 – steady with a weighted pack – 2.5kg.

Friday

Run – 45mins – hill reps.

Swim – 3.5k – 2*1,500m descending pace

Saturday

Run – 20 mins – steady

Bike – 90mins – this was planned as a threshold set, but because of my turbo woes it ended up being a makeshift steady spin. New turbo is on the way and I should have it midweek this week.

Sunday

Long bike – 4hrs – with some BG sets.

Run – 15mins easy with some short sprints.

Totals:

Swim: 2hrs 17 8kkm

Bike 7hrs 57 207km

Run 4hrs 2 43.7km

S&C 1hr 27

Total 15hrs 42

Your a man who likes his gear so I'll guess at a tacx Neo??

Your a man who likes his gear so I'll guess at a tacx Neo??

I've actually gone for an elite qubo fluid trainer. Didn't want to eat into the new bike budget! Plus, I have power data from the PM anyway...

Good stuff, new bike would be a bit nicer than a fancy turbo alright. Must be all them watts your putting out that broke the last one, no more 100% plus work for you on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Have you decided on a bike?

Tipping away nicely with the training. How do you find running with the weighted vest?

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Have you decided on a bike?

Tipping away nicely with the training. How do you find running with the weighted vest?

One of these...

I wear a small backpack with a weight in it packed with a towel to stop it bouncing around. It takes a couple of runs to get used to but I know from last year that I felt progressively stronger over a couple of months. Forces you to focus on good form and you really feel it in the legs like BG work on the bike.

Advertisement