Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boys primary school south side cork city

Options
  • 10-12-2016 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has advice on primary schools in south side of cork . Am considering st. Joseph's, Glasheen boys & bishopstown boys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Glasheen is excellent, son went there, daughter is in the girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Confused mum84

mcko wrote: »
    Glasheen is excellent, son went there, daughter is in the girls.

Thanks , met principal there , was highly impressed with him, felt at home & school ticked a lot of boxes . Only concern I have is around number of students where English mightn't be first language at home & potential for teachers attention being focused on those students .. Was that ever an issue in your sons time in school ? I might be overthinking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Thanks , met principal there , was highly impressed with him, felt at home & school ticked a lot of boxes . Only concern I have is around number of students where English mightn't be first language at home & potential for teachers attention being focused on those students .. Was that ever an issue in your sons time in school ? I might be overthinking

Yeah you are overthinking. Get over your racism and everything will be fine.

Glasheen 1979-83

Its a great school with great teachers.

Heckler wrote: »

Glasheen 1979-83

Its a great school with great teachers.

Yes , I agree it does seem to be a great school with great teachers. I mentioned that I felt at home there so my issue isn't with diversity or race , it's a resourcing one (or potential resourcing). I guess at junior primary school level it's not as big as an issue as children soak up language so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

That's not racism...it is a potential issue for someone who is looking for the best education for their child. Not sure if it matters or not but it ain't racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Ludo wrote: »
    That's not racism...it is a potential issue for someone who is looking for the best education for their child. Not sure if it matters or not but it ain't racism.

Probably not but how does the OP know the level of English these kids have?

mordeith wrote: »
    Probably not but how does the OP know the level of English these kids have?

Mordeith, that's the point exactly & why I'm on boards in the first place - I don't know & am looking for advice from parents who've had children in city \urban schools where there'd be a general mix of people. Another point that just came to mind is that with the 2 free ecce preschool years that's now available , most children will have already spent 2 years in preschool before starting primary school so language should be well developed by primary school so may not be a major issue ..

Great if anyone has more feedback and information on other 2 schools as well!

The thing about resource is that any children availing of it are taken out of the classroom. It doesn't take from the main class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Just wondering if anyone has advice on primary schools in south side of cork . Am considering st. Joseph's, Glasheen boys & bishopstown boys?

its not racism FFS.
    OP asked a question

The young fella is in Joes, and he's very happy. We're happy the place.
    very nice ethos. Its quite a small school.

Traffic isnt too bad in the morning either.
    I'd recommend it.

There's also Togher boys, principal has just left St. Joes for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

No need at all to be confused. My boys are in Glasheen and it is the absolute best. Fantastic supports, all the way through for all the students. My boys are loving it, doing great and get so many fantastic opportunities. I could not possibly say enough for the school. Best decision we ever made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

When is your son due to start school?

The schools you have mentioned, like most schools today, would have some pupils whose parents originally came from overseas, which reflects that our society is now more diverse. Many of the children were born in Ireland, went to preschool here, so already have English, so it is not an issue, in a school where there is good, experienced staff and appropriate support in place.

Glasheen is an excellent school, with great staff and supports for all of the children. All the parents I know are delighted with the school.

There seems to be strong demand for places in many schools now but in Glasheen the demand is particularly strong. If you are lucky enough to get a place for your son, then it should be an easy choice. I hope this helps.

Thanks for info. 2018 so have a bit of time yet to decide . Suppose the language element was only one consideration as I mentioned... everyone I speak to seem to be delighted with Glasheen & speak about it quite warmly so that says a lot. Need to visit other schools too though but Glasheen is def a contender

Thanks for info. 2018 so have a bit of time yet to decide . Suppose the language element was only one consideration as I mentioned... everyone I speak to seem to be delighted with Glasheen & speak about it quite warmly so that says a lot. Need to visit other schools too though but Glasheen is def a contender

Are you sure you have enough time? I'm not sure about the schools in question but some have crazy waiting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Maybe try Greenmount? Mixed school and my neighbours children attend there - nothing but positive things to say about it.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Are you one of the fellas sticking those cringy anti-fasisct action Ireland stickers around Turners Cross? Get over yourself bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

My little man is in school in Glasheen and my second guy will definitely be following him to Glasheen. He can hardly wait to start because his big brother loves it and is always talking about the great things he is doing. It is a relief that our younger guy is now guaranteed a place as his big brother is already in the school.

We looked at 4 or 5 schools as when it is your first it is a bigger deal. Pretty soon, we knew Glasheen was our first choice and we kept our fingers crossed that we would get a place for our DS 1, which we did. There is a very warm atmosphere in the school. The principle is very approachable and caring. I agree with the others that there is a lovely staff there and fantastic supports for the boys. Just got a newsletter today but they also keep us up to date on Twitter and on their website. We had always heard very good reports about Glasheen and now I have no hesitation at all in saying that Glasheen boys is super.

Thanks for feedback, seems to be lots of opportunities for parents to get involved (maths evenings/movie nights etc etc.. ) which I also like . Working full time so would be nice to get involved some evenings if the chance came up .. Read on website they even have a grandparents day which I think sounds fantastic, must be great craic! Extra curricular activities sound pretty interesting too- quiz champions & lots of sport from gaa to cricket .. Need to try & make appointments to see other schools in coming months so will keep an open mind but have a good feeling about Glasheen

Sons preschool is private/ not attached to any particular primary school so know a few boys going to all 3 schools mentioned above in 2017- they all seem to be oversubscribed but have expressed interest in all 3 so on lists.. From what I've heard from other parents secretary rings around to see if your still interested before they send offers .. So will need to decide for sure by next sept/October before offers go out

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Patrick Coke

Im in secondardy school now and would highly recommend gaelscoil ui riada in bishopstown. Lovely school with very nice teachers. And irish is a great thing to have for secondary school where most people who went to english primary schools drop to pass irish which is a massive disadvantage

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Im in secondardy school now and would highly recommend gaelscoil ui riada in bishopstown. Lovely school with very nice teachers. And irish is a great thing to have for secondary school where most people who went to english primary schools drop to pass irish which is a massive disadvantage

I wouldn't agree with you on the pass Irish, at all. My two brothers went to an English speaking primary school. One got an A1 in his Leaving Cert Honours Irish, while none of his classmates who attended the local Gaelscoil got an A1. My other brother got an A2. One of his best friends went to a Gaelscoil and got a C2, so it's a very big mistake to generalise or make a sweeping statement like that..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

in fairness Patrick, that's absolute nonsense.
    (agree with you re Ui Riada being a good school though)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Sorry Patrick Coke but your point about Irish is rubbish and not my experience, at all. I'm wondering, after reading your post, about the standard of English (spelling, grammar, capital letters, full stops etc.)? I'm sure it's good but some might argue, perhaps even make a sweeping statement like you did and make a counterclaim that the standard of English is not as good in a Gaelscoil (I'm not claiming that, by the way).

On the subject of schools, I am a past pupil of Glasheen, which is an exceptional school. I have great memories and have had occasion to visit the school, many times recently. One of my close friends now has two sons and a nephew in the school and I know that they are delighted with Glasheen. A brilliant school.

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    Sorry Patrick Coke but your point about Irish is rubbish and not my experience, at all. I'm wondering, after reading your post, about the standard of English (spelling, grammar, capital letters, full stops etc.)? I'm sure it's good but some might argue, perhaps even make a sweeping statement like you did and make a counterclaim that the standard of English is not as good in a Gaelscoil (I'm not claiming that, by the way).

On the subject of schools, I am a past pupil of Glasheen, which is an exceptional school. I have great memories and have had occasion to visit the school, many times recently. One of my close friends now has two sons and a nephew in the school and I know that they are delighted with Glasheen. A brilliant school.
    I stand true to my point, in my experience (and im in school and see the first hand) about 50% of the people who went to a english primary school drop to pass by 5th year and 100% of people who went to a gaelscoil are in the top irish class so im just saying it as i see it, mean no offense!

I stand true to my point, in my experience (and im (I'm) in school and see the (it) first hand) about 50% of the people who went to a english primary school drop to pass by 5th year and 100% of people who went to a gaelscoil are in the top irish class so im (I'm) just saying it as i (I) see it, mean (meant) no offense! (offence)

Well no offence Patrick but so what if these students do Higher Level Irish? It's not such a huge advantage unless you are looking to go into primary teaching.

PS. I fixed your post.

Well no offence Patrick but so what if these students do Higher Level Irish? It's not such a huge advantage unless you are looking to go into primary teaching.

PS. I fixed your post.

Apologies that i dont proof a message before I send it into boards, take it easy and stop being ratty. It is an advantage as is doing well in any of the core subjects as you have a subject to fall back on if you do 7 higher level subjects rather than 6. Would like to know your own age?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Maybe try Greenmount? Mixed school and my neighbours children attend there - nothing but positive things to say about it.
    Good luck!

Don't send your poor kids to Greenmount. Glasheen, Scoil Chriost Ri in Turner's Cross and Gaelscoil Uí Riada, or depending on where you live, St Anthony's in Douglas.

Have to think about secondary school options too and where the child is most likely going to end up out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

PS. I fixed your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Once again, Patrick, I can't agree with your more recent point but rest assured, I didn't take any offence.

I was an 'A' student in Irish, as well as English and didn't go to a Gaelscoil. I am beginning to wonder, however, about the standard of English, the grammar, punctuation, spelling and so on, of some pupils in Gaelscoileanna. I didn't initially correct your original post but here goes:
    I'm in secondary school now and would highly recommend Gaelscoil Riada in Bishopstown. Lovely school, with very nice teachers. And (Should not start a sentence with 'And') Irish is a great thing to have for secondary school, where most people who went to English primary schools drop to pass Irish, which is a massive disadvantage.

Your posts are not the best advert for a Gaelscoil, Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

A woman I know didn't send her last 2 children to Glasheen for the reason you mentioned above. She sent them to Gaelscoil Ui Riada in Wilton. As a result she had 2 boys in Glasheen and 2 in the Gaelscoil but was willing to do the different drops and collections because of the way she felt Glasheen school was going. I can vouch for the Gaelscoil in Wilton which is an excellent school but is difficult to get into now. My daughter who is now in Junior Cert in Mount Mercy is delighted she went to a Gaelscoil, as Irish is now an easy subject for her and a subject she really enjoys. She is also excellent at English so going to a Gaelscoil has not hindered her in that front. The Gaelscoil is mixed so I'm not sure if you're interested in that or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    Once again, Patrick, I can't agree with your more recent point but rest assured, I didn't take any offence.

I was an 'A' student in Irish, as well as English and didn't go to a Gaelscoil. I am beginning to wonder, however, about the standard of English, the grammar, punctuation, spelling and so on, of some pupils in Gaelscoileanna. I didn't initially correct your original post but here goes:
    I'm in secondary school now and would highly recommend Gaelscoil Riada in Bishopstown. Lovely school, with very nice teachers. And (Should not start a sentence with 'And') Irish is a great thing to have for secondary school, where most people who went to English primary schools drop to pass Irish, which is a massive disadvantage.

Your posts are not the best advert for a Gaelscoil, Patrick.

Do you have to be so condescending in your reply? Patrick gave his opinion and was there really a need for you to correct his grammar.

Advertisement