Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2007 520d engines

• 10-12-2016 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi. I've been reading up omy the 2007 bmw 520d. I heard they timing chain problems. I just wanted to know what engine gives that problem. And In March 2007 they built a pre face lift model. I just wanted to know what engine is in this model and what problems they have. Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Try asking over in Motors Biker125.

This forum is for website feedback.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Engine code M47 with 163bhp didn't have timing chain issues. Engine code N47 with 177bhp did have the timing chain issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

If it has a chrome exhaust tip, then it has the N47 engine (which is the one with the timing chain problem), if it's just a standard steel exhaust tip then it's the M47. The other giveaways are the N47 manuals will cut out automatically at a stop, the N47 automatics have the newer rocker style gear lever.

To be honest you'd be better off looking at a 525d upwards in an E60, the M57 diesel in those is pretty much bulletproof and the six cylinder diesel will be far more refined, quieter and nicer to drive. In 530d guise they are a properly fast car.

N47 engined 520ds were made from September 2007 onwards, so there was a six month window between BMW facelifting the E60 and putting the upgraded (less reliable) diesel into the 520d.

The E60 never got stop/start Efficiency Dynamics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

bazz26 wrote: »
    The E60 never got stop/start Efficiency Dynamics.

N47 520ds did if they had a manual gearbox (and so did the Europe only N43 engined 520i).

N47 520ds did if they had a manual gearbox (and so did the Europe only N43 engined 520i).

Ok, out of interest where is the automatic stop/start disable button located in the E60?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ok, out of interest where is the automatic stop/start disable button located in the E60?

Should be under the start button. If you get an m47 get the swirl flaps done.

Advertisement