Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 stop killing people!

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The threshold for being a celebrity lowers every year.

I mean, Alan Rickman, an acting icon? That's laughable.
    It's not officially Christmas until Hans Gruber falls off the Nakatomi Tower.

Sir Alexander Dane: I played Richard III.

Fred Kwan: Five curtain calls...

Sir Alexander Dane: There were five curtain calls. I was an actor once, damn it. Now look at me. Look at me! I won't go out there and say that stupid line one more time.

Jason Nesmith: You WILL go out there.

Sir Alexander Dane: I won't and nothing you say will make me.

Jason Nesmith: The show must go on.

Sir Alexander Dane: ...Damn you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Pherekydes wrote: »
    RIP AA Gill. :(

This and Caroline Aherne are the ones that have really gutted me. :( Loved his writing. His restaurant reviews were an art form and not much to do with the food.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    RIP AA Gill. :(

No matter what the topic, he was a great writer, a truly gifted and entertaining professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

jacksie66 wrote: »
    It's 1am on an After Hours thread and you're taking crap seriously... Wow..

Let's see how funny you think it is when it is your young child being asked this in an interview room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

But there are more "celebs" in 2016 than let's say 50 years ago thanks to the Kim Kardashian effect. Pointless people are now famous, people with no skills or talents are now famous. We have made people famous just for being famous.

2016 has lost many true celebrities. That is why it is being talked about so much. Many people of substance have been lost. I'm not sure what the relevance is of bringing up 'famous for being famous' celebrities in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

How in the name of fuck could anyone think Greg Lake was "famous for being famous" or compare him to Kim Kardashian?

The term 'celeb' irritates me when referring to someone who actually has a talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Skommando wrote: »
    Let's see how funny you think it is when it is your young child being asked this in an interview room.

In fairness, you were the first one to mention children.

Now, while I'm not defending any form of sexual abuse, if you're offended by jokes about just about anything, AH is not the place for you. AH is essentially for those without a moral compass...when it comes to making jokes, that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Flimpson wrote: »
    Obviously a much higher number of celebrated artists though, and suddenly and at an early age. I think it's time people dropped the "edgy" act. :D

In fairness Irish Guitarist, I can understand people not hearing of Greg Lake. Emerson Lake and Palmer's music was a bit niche and wouldn't have received airplay for decades. The only universally recognised song by him is I Believe In Father Christmas and while people would know the song they wouldn't know him.

My point was people have a world of information at their fingertips but don't have the curiosity to do a Google search. It would take a couple of seconds to enter his name and see a picture of him with a guitar or bass.

And I don't get the need to announce to the world you've never heard of someone. As I said it's like people are proud to be ignorant about things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

AH is essentially for those without a moral compass...when it comes to making jokes, that is.

Until 21:00 ......... *Whistles* .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Stigura wrote: »
    Until 21:00 ......... *Whistles* .....

...and just when you think people can't go any lower, the shovels come out and people start to dig. :D

Advertisement