Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shooter - TV series.

Options
  • 10-12-2016 2:53am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not really sport shooting related, but i stuck up a post in the entertainment thread about the new tv series based on the film.

Post here.

I made it through, eventually, the first episode, but was wondering if anyone else looses interest in such shows or films because of the shooting stuff.

In the first episode he:
    • Said a 223 was just about good enough to take down a squirrel.
    • Zeroed, piss poorly, a 338 LpMag at 100 yards
    • Clicked three or four times and moved the cross hair 3 inches
    To name but a few.

now i know its tv, and if they made it ultra real life then it might be a bit boring, but i'm saying it should be OTT, but when you base a program on sniping, shooting, etc. you should at least get the basic right.

Reminds me of another program (fictional) dealing with the armed response unit of an American Swat team. In the first episode the guy acting as sniper one had the scope on upside down, blocking the ejection port.

Has anyone else seen it. Is it worth it to keep watching?
    • So would it bother you?
    • Does it matter?
    • Am i being too pedantic?
    • Expecting too much?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

There's a thread on the show over in the Television forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057598465

I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry when they had him fitting a scope with a hardware shop adjustable wrench!!!:
    403547.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Jesus yeah. Forgot about that. Dude needs hit with a bigger wrench.

I normally can ignore the stupid, but when its basics and something you know well it's hard.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I gave up years ago in hoping to see Hollywood ever showing anything accurate or correct relating to shooting.
    They have been fuking up with guns ever since the cowboy movies of the 1920s. 50 shot revolvers and filmsy saloon tables that can be broken in two when someone lands on them in the saloon fight,but are bullet proof as well and handy to hide behind in the gun fight. Or the famous Jimmy Cagney scene of him in a gunfight hiding behind a normal metal dustbin[or garbage can].They must have some thick rubbish in the US back in the 1930s.

Worse,is some of their simulated tactics of police units.And even much worse is some actual police units replicateing them in real life!.We wont go on about leaning over car bonnets or using car doors as cover or firing positions,or better still the roof and exposing your chest to car glass as sufficent bullet stopping material.

Even total and utter fantasy stuff like the walking dead is peeing me off utterly for utter stupidity in gun handling,unit tactics and basic stupidity in leadership [and don't even get me started on Daryl and his crossbow!:rolleyes:]

Only film I have ever seen that actually had good gun handling and competant zeroing scenes in it was a very low budget 1980's " save your buddies from a Nam POW camp" genere.Called Uncommon Valour.And not surprising that it was done properly,as a quarter of the film directors and cast were Vietnam vets.
    So just take anything out of the fiction factory as that .Fiction.storylines,plot,and actual gun knowledge can be written on the back of a very small stamp with some directors in Holywood. Whats worse for us is the sheeple think this is reality as they watch it on their stupidifier one night and think all this sort of hardware is available in any supermarket in the US or over here too,and hey presto! We have dumb gun laws aplenty.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

There is the thing though Grizz.

Some programs and films are chewing gum for the brain. IOW i turn off and just enjoy the pretty colours. I don't expect everything to be real life perfect nor would i want it. There is a certain amount of "artistic license" involved and frankly needed to make some stuff entertaining.

I've seen enough real life shows to know that they can be boring as sin.

Just using your own examples. Westerns have been a staple diet of mine since i was a kid. I don't look for fault in them as they are pure entertainment. To show how the old west really was would be crude, graphic and not in keeping with the imagery we had as kids. Same with shows like the walking dead. When you have a show about Zombies then i'm not going to argue over the round count of a revolver.

As i said in my OP perhaps i'm being a bit too pedantic, but when you do a TV show or film and its based on a very, very specific topic, a sniper, you want to make sure that the few scenes where he concentrates on the sniping/shooting are as true to life as possible. The rest can be stopping bullets with your teeth for all i care, as long as it's good tv.

A program i liked was Generation Kill. now i've no idea what its like ina war zone, but this seemed fairly realistic. It's not all gun battles and blowing stuff up. The scene that i really liked was the sniper one. Again i'm not a sniper, but for the brief scene that it was it seemed pretty much on the money. The spotter was calling elevation, windage (including the value) and the bit that clinched it for me was the shot. If you look carefully around the 2:35 mark to the left of the screen you can see the wash of the bullet as it moves in from the left to the target. This plays along exactly with the calls the spotter made. Then the second shot he uses a mil-dot of lead as the target is moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Cass wrote: »
    There is the thing though Grizz.

Some programs and films are chewing gum for the brain. IOW i turn off and just enjoy the pretty colours. I don't expect everything to be real life perfect nor would i want it. There is a certain amount of "artistic license" involved and frankly needed to make some stuff entertaining.

I've seen enough real life shows to know that they can be boring as sin.

Just using your own examples. Westerns have been a staple diet of mine since i was a kid. I don't look for fault in them as they are pure entertainment. To show how the old west really was would be crude, graphic and not in keeping with the imagery we had as kids. Same with shows like the walking dead. When you have a show about Zombies then i'm not going to argue over the round count of a revolver.

As i said in my OP perhaps i'm being a bit too pedantic, but when you do a TV show or film and its based on a very, very specific topic, a sniper, you want to make sure that the few scenes where he concentrates on the sniping/shooting are as true to life as possible. The rest can be stopping bullets with your teeth for all i care, as long as it's good tv.

A program i liked was Generation Kill. now i've no idea what its like ina war zone, but this seemed fairly realistic. It's not all gun battles and blowing stuff up. The scene that i really liked was the sniper one. Again i'm not a sniper, but for the brief scene that it was it seemed pretty much on the money. The spotter was calling elevation, windage (including the value) and the bit that clinched it for me was the shot. If you look carefully around the 2:35 mark to the left of the screen you can see the wash of the bullet as it moves in from the left to the target. This plays along exactly with the calls the spotter made. Then the second shot he uses a mil-dot of lead as the target is moving.

I brought up the realism thing in the TV forum about Shooter. Specifically about them getting it right seeing as its about a sniper.

Yerra tis TV. Its an entertaining diversion.

Try the Stephen Hunter books the film and TV show are based on. Seems he grew up in a gun verboten house but found a love for them in later life.

He writes a mean gun fight in all his books. Man seems to know his stuff.

I think TV and movies have come a long way in terms of realism. Even back to HEAT with a good nod to trigger discipline, reloading etc. No endless bullets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Haven't been able to watch a film or tv series with firearms in them for the last 20 years or so. I've just gotten into the habit of pretending that the character has pulled out a Harry Potter magic wand instead, because that way there's more realism involved.

Whether it's this:
    maxresdefault.jpg

or this:
    08626-3.jpg

I mean, some come closer than most, but they're pretty much all the same level as this:

600px-Batman-JokerRevolver3.JPG

And at least there they were playing it for laughs, which works better.

At least, I hope they were playing it for laughs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Most american "reality" telly, and increasingly telly over here is childish rubbish. Fake crisis/drama, made up fake rows between people on it, stupid projects, etc etc. Its all made to a formula, American chopper, American guns, mountain men, life below zero, pawn stars, counting cars, all basically the same crap. Its bubble gum for the mind.

Back in the mid sixties, the BBC together with Macdonald Hastings (the well known ww2 war correspondent) made a programme called "Call the gun expert". The gun expert was Robert Churchill (the gunmaker, who promoted 25 inch barrelled shotguns). Churchill was an expert witness at a lot of murder trials, called to give evidence on firearms and ballistics. I have never seen it, but those who have tell me it was very good and the opposite end of the spectrum to the cack made now.

http://www.startrader.co.uk/Action%20TV/guide60s/callgun.htm

Speaking of 50s/60s... a certain Mr G Boothroyd wrote to a certain author a Mr Ian Fleming about a certain Mr Bond in employ of Her Majesty's secret service in his novels and his rather silly armament.

Mr Fleming was impressed with mr Boothryod knowledge ,he became "The offical armourer to James Bond",and a chacter himself in the gadget man "Q" in all future Bond films.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Heckler wrote: »
    I think TV and movies have come a long way in terms of realism. Even back to HEAT with a good nod to trigger discipline, reloading etc. No endless bullets.

Just a great pity no one showed Brad Pitt how to actually operate an M4 properly in that scene.:D But it did illustrate my previous point nicely about car doors not being very bullet proof.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Grizzly I have to ask, tmwgatsbwrong with the crossbow in Walking Dead?? Like Cash said, I can switch off for most movies but it's the "reality shows" of stuff in Alaska I find tough to watch!

If ye want a good no nonsense hunting shooting series, watch Maneater.

• Advertisement

patsat wrote: »
    ..........but it's the "reality shows" of stuff in Alaska I find tough to watch!
    This, a thousand times this. Between fecking truckers on ice, so called "wild" families, etc, etc.
    If ye want a good no nonsense hunting shooting series, watch Maneater.
    What this? Never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

This, a thousand times this. Between fecking truckers on ice, so called "wild" families, etc, etc.

What this? Never heard of it.

It's on Netflix or.... Thewatchseries for us students!! Google it, Meateaters

It's hosted by Steven Rinella, doing proper hard hunting and no nonsense involved. Just shooting and then cooking up a bit of his prize on the camp fire.

Pretty much none of the blatant product placement that would usually go with these shows, you get the feeling the gear he is using because he has chosen it for the purpose.

You can thank me when your finished binge watching it!!

1] There is absolutely NO rear sight on that thing.You see a picitinny rail where there is supposed to be a scope or whatnot.Yet Daryl has never mounted one on it.

2]Modern day Xbows are " High low tech" devices.IOW a ancient idea ,made more efficent by applying modern materials to it.IE carbon fibre,alloys etc. This very thing makes them useless in a situation like this.Try making a carbon fibre replacement string for one of these yokes after the Zombie apocalypse or whatever.And Compound Xbows eat strings.Be lucky to get 20 shots out of some of them.Then you need a bow vice to change them out .

3] Ditto the bolts.He has been walloping his X bow bolts into the walking dead like there is no tomrrow,and these things fly dead on and true for any amount of shots.In reality you get the slightest bend dent or curl in your bolt,and your accruacy is gone.Ditto the vanes on the bolt.Lopping them halfway thru Zombies skulls is going to faff up the vanes eventually.

4] In one seris he was making his bolts out of what looked like relatively straight TWIGS. This is just an impossibility as anyone will tell you who ahs used a compound bow or X bow.Wood will NOT survive the released energy from a compound bow,it just shatters. They have to be again modern materials like graphite fiber or at worst steel.

5] Norman Reedus who plays the chacter of Daryl Dixon has become an avid fan of Xbows and firearms in general from handling them in TWD so that is at least one point in favour of it. But the Xbow he is using .The Horton scout HD 125 is actualy impossible to hand cock.You need a little winch to haul this puppy back. So in reality you would have zombies munching on you while you are hauling back the string on a winch.

6] Modern X bows are expensive things..So much so for a very decent one you could start looking at a low end AR15[900 usd] or a decent AK clone and a box or two of shells,or three mossberg shotguns ,or well really anything more effective than a crossbow whose in some cases dedicated bolts to design cost as much as a box of .308. Feck if quitness is their thing,why not just get a ruger MK ...22 pistol and a homemade silencer on it? 22 is globally available and quiet and effective for dropping the dead.

Ultima point is it just beats me why anyone would want such a high tech toy in any sort of survival situation like this??..Still there is hope for ol Daryl...He did pick up a Benelli M4 shotgun...That is until they meet Neegan and the saviours.:pac:

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Speaking of 50s/60s... a certain Mr G Boothroyd wrote to a certain author a Mr Ian Fleming about a certain Mr Bond in employ of Her Majesty's secret service in his novels and his rather silly armament.

Mr Fleming was impressed with mr Boothryod knowledge ,he became "The offical armourer to James Bond",and a chacter himself in the gadget man "Q" in all future Bond films.

Ironically, after spending most of his life jumping around with guns, shooting people in films, connery was very vocal in his support for the pistol ban in the uk after dunblane.

Its not all bad, Thomas Mann's 2009 film "public enemies" in which Johnny Depp played Dillinger, and Christian Bale played Purvis, seemed to pay a lot of attention to the firearms used. Rather than just using generic run of the mill firearm, they included the modified pistols and the bar's carried by dillinger and nelson fer instance.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    1] ............. it just beats me why anyone would want such a high tech toy in any sort of survival situation like this??...........

Simple. Because, as the man himself said, its:

tumblr_m4a4arDMIO1r16b0io1_500.gif

:D:D:D:D:D:D

gunny123 wrote: »
    Ironically, after spending most of his life jumping around with guns, shooting people in films, connery was very vocal in his support for the pistol ban in the uk after dunblane.

Yeah,that is indeed a major jerk off of Hollywood stars ,and they catch alot of flack [rightly so] for it.There is a whole list of them who are anti gun,yet weirdly some of the liberals are actually pro gun."Brangelina." before they split up were both very pro gun ownership,Samuel L Jackson,Whoppi Goldberg, for example.
    And of course the old boys like Selleck and Eastwood utter pro gun card carrying NRA members
    .But then you have chacters like Liam Neeson, and [what's his head that plays Jason Bourne??],and even Stallone Who in the latter case owns guns,but don't want anyone else to own them.Stinks of utter hyprocrisy. Even Schwarzenegger when he was governor of California signed into law an act that bans californians from owning 50 cal rifles.:mad: But if you live in a exclusive,rich area of LA with an instant response private armed neighbourhood security patrol,and armed bodygaurds on tap 24/7..Why would yo be anything else but anti gun as you have mercenaries to do your protection for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Not really sport shooting related, but i stuck up a post in the entertainment thread about the new tv series based on the film.

Post here.

I made it through, eventually, the first episode, but was wondering if anyone else looses interest in such shows or films because of the shooting stuff.

In the first episode he:
    • Said a 223 was just about good enough to take down a squirrel.
    • Zeroed, piss poorly, a 338 LpMag at 100 yards
    • Clicked three or four times and moved the cross hair 3 inches
    To name but a few.

now i know its tv, and if they made it ultra real life then it might be a bit boring, but i'm saying it should be OTT, but when you base a program on sniping, shooting, etc. you should at least get the basic right.

Reminds me of another program (fictional) dealing with the armed response unit of an American Swat team. In the first episode the guy acting as sniper one had the scope on upside down, blocking the ejection port.

Has anyone else seen it. Is it worth it to keep watching?
    • So would it bother you?
    • Does it matter?
    • Am i being too pedantic?
    • Expecting too much?

ya it drives the missus absolutely nuts she actually left the room when we were watching shooter over some of those scenes :D . although it could be down to me pointing out every flaw to her :o

drives me mental, especially on a show about a supposedly technically brilliant sniper where its shows anles and wind speeds etc and then gets the basics so awfully wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

In episode 6 at the beginning what was the metal frame attached to the rifle over the scope ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Was watching Alaskan bush people there the other night it's as bad as Alaskan monsters.... but the son who looks like wolverine with a bad bad mullet missed a deer and was upset over not bringing back food for the table so the father was saying he should have used iron sights. So they both go on a hunting trip to redeem the sons confidence, so he was using a fairly antiquated 30 06, no scope and no sign of any iron sights on it either just the aims using the dovetails for scope mounts and proceeds to shoot himself a whitetail.

They are some gob****es in fairness. Chewing gum for the brain.

• Advertisement

"Chewing gum for the brain."
    1000% spot on! Treat anything from Hollywood in relation to firearms exactly like that.Ditto for sword play,knife fighting,car driving etc..The day we get a reality based film on any of those topics will be a first.Proably on the same day when we get a perfect "V" formation of flying pigs,over O Connell street.

Just rewatching Season 2 of True Detective. Thought Taylor Kitschs handling looked good. Does a brass check. Maybe had training for his part in Lone Survivor.

Also Keanu Reeves. While the Matrix and John Wick are unreal he seems to know what hes at.

Also Keanu Reeves. While the Matrix and John Wick are unreal he seems to know what hes at.
    Just thinking about this. While he might not impress some of the better shooters he is still pretty sh*t hot. I mean how many actors just ring it in? Done the same thing for the Matrix films.

Just thinking about this. While he might not impress some of the better shooters he is still pretty sh*t hot. I mean how many actors just ring it in? Done the same thing for the Matrix films.

Yup. Apparently he did some serious martial arts training for the Matrix. I like that slick shotgun shell insertion around 30 odd seconds in. Wouldn't have seen it except for someone pointing it out.

Hes not the greatest actor in the world but hes a cool guy. Under the radar after a lot of bad luck (pregnant GF dying, sister dying) he gives a ton of money to charity. And millions to the crew on the Matrix.

Cool fella.

I like that slick shotgun shell insertion around 30 odd seconds in. Wouldn't have seen it except for someone pointing it out.
    Didn't cop it myself until i played it back in slow motion. Was wondering why he stopped then suddenly had another shot. Cool move.

Didn't cop it myself until i played it back in slow motion. Was wondering why he stopped then suddenly had another shot. Cool move.

Pretty much invisible. I would guess that would take a lot of doing over and over till you can nail it. He seems very comfortable around a lot of different types of guns.

I'd really hate to be the poor SOB who would have to do the paperwork,the reports,the interviews,the funerals,the media out cry,the human rights watch ,Southern poverty law centre,Black Lives matter,and every other minority groups hue and cry,as well as dealing with internal affairs and no doubt a public,state and proably federal inquiry,and countless lawsuits on how such a raid could be so badly planned,botched up,have so many shots fired unaccountably,and have so many innocents killed,that should have been nowhere near a police action of this magnitude and why all officers present seem to only have had duty side arms and not enough body armour on a raid of this type,as in the detective clip,or like the bank shootout in Heat??

They would never see the light of day again buried under the tons of paperwork that would avalanche them..:D
    That is the reality that Hollywood never shows on the after action of a shootout.
    Even our own AGS are worried about all the "writing" required if a firearm is discharged in the course of an operation these days.Was in todays independant on that very topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

I watched a few episodes and found the story weak and slow to get moving

Advertisement