Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan 3Arena, Dublin Friday 11 May 2017.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Saw him back in 1993 at the Fleadh Mor Festival in Tramore, Waterford, his voice wasn't great but I can imagine it was a damn sight better than now, even though I wasn't impressed with the way he made some of the classic songs into 2 minute melodies, I was still glad I got to see him. This will probably be your last chance to catch him I can't imagine he will be up to touring that much after this stint.

Some how I think we will see him again as he constantly tours ,his tour is referred to as the Never Ending Tour,the guy is obviously mad for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nah hes not all about the money at all. He just plays live a lot. Great gig in 2014, think I'll leave it at that. 121 quid is daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Does anyone know if this pre-sale happened or not? If you click on the "Onsale Times" link here http://www.ticketmaster.ie/bob-dylan-dublin-05-11-2017/event/180051898C76C909?artistid=734972&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1 it's still showing the presale time as starting 9am today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this pre-sale happened or not? If you click on the "Onsale Times" link here http://www.ticketmaster.ie/bob-dylan-dublin-05-11-2017/event/180051898C76C909?artistid=734972&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1 it's still showing the presale time as starting 9am today.

Yep, it was sold out by about 10am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

The prices are ridiculous ,and something needs to be done about it.
    Its a cynical attempt to cash in on his nobel award .

I just checked there and you can get a good ticket on the floor in Liverpool for 71 pounds or ~ 85 euro .
    Its 128 euro for a similar seat in Dublin ,that's 50% more.

I saw him in the Marquee a few years ago,I think the tickets were ~70 euro ,that's more than enough .

Posts like this confuse me. What exactly "needs to be done about it" and who would do it? Who decides what "more than enough" is?

It's supply and demand. It's free market pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Yep, it was sold out by about 10am

Bother! Alright cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

This will probably be your last chance to catch him

This is what gets me and annoys the phiss out of me. You might be right. I hate that. Passing over a gig cause its seated and it might not happen again.

I'm still gonna wait and see. And if I get a last minute ticket I know it wont be disappointing. Just as long as someone goes to the bar for me every 30 minutes. Fupping seated gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

Some how I think we will see him again as he constantly tours ,his tour is referred to as the Never Ending Tour,the guy is obviously mad for money.

Bob said somewhere or other that he has a choice - to work or not to work. He opted to keep working :)

I'm happy he is still touring and managed to get a ticket in the presale yesterday. I hope it sells out and another night is added as in 2005. The only thing better than one Bob show is two Bob shows.

I paid a total of €93.85 for a seat up in block K. Worth every penny.

Really looking forward to it and good luck to everyone looking for tickets today.

Just had a look there, flat tickets are €128.85 inc bastard fees. 
    €93.85 to be all the way at the back. 
    A shame, no thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Personally I've never been disappointed in a Dylan gig. Yes some are better than others but in the main they've all been very good. Missed out last time so going to see him this time.

Ticket prices are insane but I end up picking a few gigs per year rather than going to a load of gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Posts like this confuse me. What exactly "needs to be done about it" and who would do it? Who decides what "more than enough" is?

It's supply and demand. It's free market pricing.

What’s your opinion on touting? Would you refuse to condemn it on the basis that it’s just supply and demand – that it’s up to an individual if they are willing to pay the tout an amount that is above the stated ticket price, notwithstanding that same tout purchased the ticket, not with the intention of going to the gig, but with the intention of selling it on at a margin. Is it just part of business or is it fleecing the ordinary punter – just like charging exorbitant prices for gigs. Just because it’s supply and demand does not makes a situation ethically correct. Google this story “Martin Shkreli: Pharmaceuticals CEO who raised HIV drug price by 5,000% 'also hiked cost of pill taken by children with incurable kidney disease'" – Supply and demand??? Or Greed? Or opportunistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Saw him back in 1993 at the Fleadh Mor Festival in Tramore, Waterford, his voice wasn't great but I can imagine it was a damn sight better than now,

That was a superb gig. My first festival and first of many Dylan gigs. Ballad of a thin man was the stand out moment for me. Also remember Van walking out mid set with a bottle of champagne in each hand and a woman under each arm. The crowd cheered thinking we were about to get a duet. We didn't. Dylan just scowled at him and carried on with the gig.

Joan Baez was the stand out artist for me that weekend. Still hard to believe the lineup was that good :D
    This will probably be your last chance to catch him I can't imagine he will be up to touring that much after this stint.

To be fair, people were saying that 15 years ago and he's still at it :D

Been to many Dylan gigs since Tramore. Even traveled as far as the states to go see him. Saw him at Madison Sq Garden in November 2001 which was really special but stopped going a few years ago as his voice is just too far gone for me. Between his inaudible mumbling and the fact that he plays every song in almost the same tune with that turn up at the end of each phrase, I just got bored and it's a shame because his current recordings are among some of his best ever work..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

What’s your opinion on touting? Would you refuse to condemn it on the basis that it’s just supply and demand – that it’s up to an individual if they are willing to pay the tout an amount that is above the stated ticket price, notwithstanding that same tout purchased the ticket, not with the intention of going to the gig, but with the intention of selling it on at a margin. Is it just part of business or is it fleecing the ordinary punter – just like charging exorbitant prices for gigs. Just because it’s supply and demand does not makes a situation ethically correct. Google this story “Martin Shkreli: Pharmaceuticals CEO who raised HIV drug price by 5,000% 'also hiked cost of pill taken by children with incurable kidney disease'" – Supply and demand??? Or Greed? Or opportunistic?

Jaysus. Not sure where to start with that.

I don't need to Google Shkreli, I'm very aware of that story. I'm not sure we're comparing like with like though, concert tickets vs. medicines.

I don't like touting. I don't like Seatwave or Viagogo.

So, I've answered your questions, you answer mine.

Who would set the "fair" price for concert tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Who would set the "fair" price for concert tickets?
    I would like to see a general discussion in the forum. I wonder if anyone has come up with ideas.

If people are willing to pay a fortune to go then I would at least like to see the artist getting it, not ticketmaster getting a stupid percentage or any other resellers of any sort.

An auction type thing would let the artist get money closer to its real market value. There will always be someone who missed the auction and had to pay over the odds to a reseller. But you would have a fairer chance of paying what you think it is worth to you.

Would people frown upon that though, say this dylan gig was in kilmainham, all standing, no "good seats". People begin to bid and it goes higher and higher and the auction ends in say a month and they all pay the same amount, nobody is really stung and paying more than the guy next to them, no tout is raking it in.

It would be like ebay (which most people do not use correctly) where you put in the maximum you would pay say €100. So in the last few seconds if there are a flurry of people wanting tickets it could go to €101, and you should not be too upset as you said the max you were willing to pay was €101, you have only yourself to blame for lying about your true max. If there were 20,000 tickets and everybody said they were willing to pay €80 or higher, then everybody ends up paying €80, even if your maximum bid was €400. There may be a term for this style of auction.

If you were the lowest bidder at €80 the next lowest was €90, then if a guy comes and bids €85 then you are out, you can always bid €86 but now everybody pays that.

If it ended up €200 per ticket would people consider the artist greedy for choosing this selling method? If so do they consider other artists like painters or sculptors greedy for selling via auction? I suppose there is a difference as the artwork can be resold, but so could these tickets -just in a more limited timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭robertowjr

I got tickets but I half regret getting them, checking his most recent gigs it seems like his voice isn't what I remember him for, and I not sure it will be worth the price tag, nonetheless he's a legend, but I would happily sell my tickets if someone is interested.

robertowjr wrote: »
    I got tickets but I half regret getting them, checking his most recent gigs it seems like his voice isn't what I remember him for, and I not sure it will be worth the price tag, nonetheless he's a legend,  but I would happily sell my tickets if someone is interested.
    His voice hasn't been "what I remember him for" since the late 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭robertowjr

The Nal wrote: »

You are probably right, might still be worth it to see him live, it will be my first time, €257 for a couple of tickets is robbery if you ask me.

robertowjr wrote: »
    The Nal wrote: »

You are probably right, might still be worth it to see him live, it will be my first time, €257 for a couple of tickets is robbery if you ask me.
    Certainly is. Which is sadly why I'm not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

rubadub wrote: »
    I would like to see a general discussion in the forum. I wonder if anyone has come up with ideas.

If people are willing to pay a fortune to go then I would at least like to see the artist getting it, not ticketmaster getting a stupid percentage or any other resellers of any sort.

An auction type thing would let the artist get money closer to its real market value. There will always be someone who missed the auction and had to pay over the odds to a reseller. But you would have a fairer chance of paying what you think it is worth to you.

Would people frown upon that though, say this dylan gig was in kilmainham, all standing, no "good seats". People begin to bid and it goes higher and higher and the auction ends in say a month and they all pay the same amount, nobody is really stung and paying more than the guy next to them, no tout is raking it in.

It would be like ebay (which most people do not use correctly) where you put in the maximum you would pay say €100. So in the last few seconds if there are a flurry of people wanting tickets it could go to €101, and you should not be too upset as you said the max you were willing to pay was €101, you have only yourself to blame for lying about your true max. If there were 20,000 tickets and everybody said they were willing to pay €80 or higher, then everybody ends up paying €80, even if your maximum bid was €400. There may be a term for this style of auction.

If you were the lowest bidder at €80 the next lowest was €90, then if a guy comes and bids €85 then you are out, you can always bid €86 but now everybody pays that.

If it ended up €200 per ticket would people consider the artist greedy for choosing this selling method? If so do they consider other artists like painters or sculptors greedy for selling via auction? I suppose there is a difference as the artwork can be resold, but so could these tickets -just in a more limited timeframe.

I imagine that what Ticketmaster get is the service charge per ticket. I'm not sure that Ticketmaster gets any more money per gig than the service charge paid on each ticket.

Does anyone know?

Does anyone know if promoters pay a fee per year to Ticketmaster for selling tickets for their concerts?

I think, that in most cases, that the bands have a set fee per concert, agreed with the promoter before the concert tickets go on sale, and they get that payment from the promoter, no matter how well a concert sells.

I think that the bands and/or the bands' managements approve the ticket prices for any gigs they play, before they go on sale.

I would imagine that for any concert that is taking place, the band and their management, the promoter and the ticket sellers have agreed and know what each one is going to be paid, before the tickets go on sale.

Does anyone know if Ticketmaster gets paid any more, per concert, other than the service charge on each ticket sold?

I think it is the promoter that suffers and risks losing money, if tickets do not sell well, because I think the band gets the agreed fee, no matter how many tickets are sold.

I think that is why there has been cases where bands have played in Dublin over recent years, and not sold as well as possible, and as a result when those bands have subsequently toured in Europe and in venues in Wales, England, or Scotland, that the promoters here, have not brought those bands over here, since the previous Irish concert.

Would auctioning the tickets as you describe, with no specific prices per ticket, not be a very slow way of selling the tickets, which might result in promoters not being able to rely on it, and unable to predict how much money would be generated through ticket sales?

I imagine that what Ticketmaster get is the service charge per ticket. I'm not sure that Ticketmaster gets any more money per gig than the service charge paid on each ticket.
    Ticketmaster charge up to 6.85 per tickets as a service charge. This is certainly not all they make, since you can buy the same tickets for some gigs from the likes of www.tickets.ie with no additional charges, if you opt for box office collection. So a smaller operation can afford to presumably make a reasonable profit without lashing on ludicrous extras, and if tickets.ie and other small operations do add more for delivery it is often not this "per ticket" nonsense.

But I was not really talking about those charges. I was referring to people willing to pay well over the odds, to touts, be they lads on the street corner or ticketmasters own touting empire AKA seatwave.

On seatwave I believe they take 10% from the seller, and add 15% onto the price for the buyer, and add on delivery fees. This is checking some random old thread, but I am pretty certain they make a %.

On several upcoming gigs I see these special gold/platinum etc tickets on sale, maybe the artists have copped on people will pay well over the odds and do not want these middlemen taking it.
    Would auctioning the tickets as you describe, with no specific prices per ticket, not be a very slow way of selling the tickets,
    The auction could end in a single day or even single hour if they wanted. Some gigs are a dead cert to sell out e.g. U2 or radiohead in 3arena. And like ebay they could have an "opening bid price" but those 2 acts would be pretty sure to get more money than they were charging for tickets. Some artists would not want to appear greedy, thats why I wondered would people still think of them as greedy if they did use some sort of auction. Some bands must be sick to see the cash they are missing out on, seeing huge amounts of tickets selling for huge money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why is he still touring

he doesn't have anything to prove...he certainly doesn't need the money

and he never seems to enjoy it anymore anyway?? its a mystery to me

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

fryup wrote: »
    why is he still touring

he doesn't have anything to prove...he certainly doesn't need the money

and he never seems to enjoy it anymore anyway?? its a mystery to me

Ah, I'm sure he enjoys it and he has been doing it so long that it's only normal for him, I reckon Dylan would go mad sitting at home doing nothing. I have seen him a fair few times over the years and the last time in the O2 (2012?) might have been the very best!

I'm sure this show will be great as he seems to have been reinvigorated by the success of Tempest and the new crooner direction.

Here is his recent performance at Tony Bennett's 90th birthday celebrations.

https://youtu.be/9mlmwU7Fvys

In terms of the ticket price discussion, the number of acts I'd pay this price to see is becoming fewer and fewer by the day. Bob certainly makes the cut and acts such as Springsteen and the late great Leonard Cohen, which is the most I've ever forked out for a concert. Now it is becoming commonplace for most bands old and new to charge €100, for this reason, although thinking about it before checking the prices I will not bother with Radiohead, Aerosmith and a countless others. I'd have been interested in seeing these acts live but I refuse to pay €100. I used to go to as many shows as possible as an avid music, however as the prices are getting pretty silly I find myself forced to be very selective! Yeah the concerts sell out in seconds as fans want to see their band live, but I think charging €100 per punter is scandelous, expenses are well covered and it is the promoters, band, crew and ticketmaster that are getting beyond handsomely paid! I presume in time more and more people will stop bothering going until concerts become reasonable and relative to the average working person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

This has sold out, I was after some of the cheaper tickets, if anybody knows any going spare please let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

EyesClosed wrote: »
    This has sold out, I was after some of the cheaper tickets, if anybody knows any going spare please let me know

It doesn't seem to be sold out. I just did a search for four tickets, using the Best Available option, and it selected seats in Block E Row 28, and I searched for three tickets and it offers three tickets in Block E Row 26.

Because of the way we can't select individual blocks on the drop down menu, we can't see, on the website, whether or not tickets are available in the other blocks, but it may be possible that there might also be seats available behind the rows that it selects.

There used to be an option, when using ticketmaster.ie to search for tickets for events in The Point/02/3 Arena, to select each particular block on the drop down menu to see what available in each block. Now it is just two options; flat seating or tiered seating.

Now, if for example you search for seats, and it selects tickets in Block A Row 16, it seems to keep selecting the same tickets, if you do another search for the same number of tickets. It's only when you buy them, and then do another search for the same number of tickets, it might select tickets in another block, and may then offer tickets Block C Row 17, which is one row further back, but is a more central block.

The Best Available function seems to select tickets on the basis of the nearest row to the stage, rather than where in the Row the seats are available, or which block the seat is located, for example if you are looking for two tickets it might select you Row 7 Block G, but will not let you know that there may be two tickets available, in Block D Row 10, where there might be 6 seats available side by side that have not been yet purchased.

It seems to me, with this system, people buying less tickets get penalized merely because they are looking for less seats than someone looking for six seats. I think this issue is interesting, when one considers that many ticket buyers cannot understand why Ticketmaster, in many cases, allows people to buy up to 8 tickets, or nine tickets, in one transaction, depending on the limit for particular gigs. It is inconvenient for people looking for 2 tickets, or 3-4 tickets at the most, if the limit is 8 or 9 tickets per transaction, for gigs that are very likely to sell out quickly.

For the Bob Dylan concert, the limit is nine tickets.

As an example of this Best Available ticket selection process. on ticketmaster.ie, it might select seats in a venue like the Olympia at the edge of Row B, but will not indicate to you that there might be seats in the middle of Row F, which would be better seats as they'd be more central and you'd have a better view of the stage, and of each band member on the stage.

That seems to be the way the Ticketmaster website operates, that if you buy the seats that it offers when if shows them as available, it will keep showing you the same particular seats as being available, if you refresh the page to do another search.

The way it seems to operate, in general, when searching for tickets for gigs, is that after you buy the selected tickets, and you do a search again for the same number of tickets, it will select you tickets that are available in other seats of the venue, that may be further back than the tickets you have just bought.

In contrast to this, if you buy tickets on the National Concert Hall's website, at least when you are selecting seats, you can see throughout the stalls and in the balcony seats, what tickets are available and what aren't.

With Ticketmaster's site, it seems that the only way to find out what tickets are available and what aren't, is to ring ticketmaster, or buy the tickets at a Ticketmaster outlet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Dylan will release a new Triple Album of more covers at the end of March. This follows on from 2 albums of songs previously covered by Sinatra and also his Christmas songs album from 2009. That all adds up to 6 albums of covers over the last few years and no new music since Tempest in 2012.

I'm not exactly ecstatic about this. The recent albums are interesting enough I guess but after one listen I'm pretty much done and I don't think I need another 3 albums worth.

Obviously the guy is free to record and release whatever he wants but I don't think this bodes well for the upcoming gigs, we could be looking at a whole lot of these songs in the setlist.

adrian522 wrote: »
    we could be looking at a whole lot of these songs in the setlist.
    I thought no way, but looking at recent setlists seems you are right, lots of sinatra covers in them.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/bob-dylan-1bd6adb8.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joythegirl

One ticket for sale in Block G. Face value is €128, will sell for €100. Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

hey, looking forward to this tomorrow! Anyone know what time he'll be in at tomorrow? Doors open at 6.30 and says it starts at 8.

Is there a support act or will his Bobness be on at 8?

Cheers!

the promotors twitter pages are best for stuff like this

https://twitter.com/aikenpromotions?lang=en
    @bobdylan / SOLD-OUT / @3arenadublin

Doors 6.30pm || Show 8pm (no support)

I would imagine he would really come on at 8.15-8.30

3arena says 8 sharp though
    https://twitter.com/3arenadublin?lang=en
    Bob Dylan plays @3arenadublin this Thursday. Please note Doors: 6.30pm with show at 8pm sharp (there is no support act before)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Haven't been to a Bob show for a good few years but from memory he's very punctual..

I'd love to be smelling the nag champa and hearing that intro tomorrow..

"Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Columbia recording artist, Bob Dylan"

Advertisement