Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Dylan 3Arena, Dublin Friday 11 May 2017.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

rubadub wrote: »
    the promotors twitter pages are best for stuff like this

https://twitter.com/aikenpromotions?lang=en

I would imagine he would really come on at 8.15-8.30

3arena says 8 sharp though
    https://twitter.com/3arenadublin?lang=en

Don't make that old mistake, Showtime for Dylan really means showtime.
    I'll be expecting Stu to walk on stage and play a few bars of The Foggy Dew at 8pm sharp as a tac!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yep was bang on time last time around, and the time before that. Plays till 9 ish, intermission, comes back and plays until just after 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

The Nal wrote: »
    Yep was bang on time last time around, and the time before that. Plays till 9 ish, intermission, comes back and plays until just after 10.

No intermission on this tour.

The setlist will probably be:

1. Things Have Changed
    2. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
    3. Highway 61 Revisited
    4. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
    5. Why Try To Change Me Now
    6. Pay In Blood
    7. Melancholy Mood
    8. Duquesne Whistle
    9. Stormy Weather
    10. Tangled Up In Blue
    11. Early Roman Kings
    12. Spirit On The Water
    13. Love Sick
    14. All Or Nothing At All
    15. Desolation Row
    16. Soon After Midnight
    17. That Old Black Magic
    18. Long And Wasted Years
    19. Autumn Leaves

(encore)
    20. Blowin' In The Wind
    21. Ballad Of A Thin Man

With maybe To Ramona in the number two slot.
    As this is the last night of the tour we might get an extra song ...fingers crossed :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That was class. Excellent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how was it?? how was his voice? was he gruff/aloof as usual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭interlocked

Letter In the Irish Independent 13/05/17

The Bob Dylan concert in Dublin on Thursday night was one of the worst musical experiences of my life. Dylan's descent to has-been status was reflected by the large number of audience members who walked out en masse before the concert was over.
    Dylan's expressionless interaction with the audience was absolutely zero; not a hello, a thank you, a goodnight or even a wave of the hand…nothing at all. He and his band walked off stage after just 90 minutes.

They came back and did two songs but many people had already left.
    However, there are many who appear to be happy to continue elevating this man to god-like status and find whatever he does or doesn't do totally acceptable.

My position is that since there was no greeting from him at the beginning, during or at the end the concert, I couldn't be bothered applauding as I normally would at a concert at which the artist respects the audience. If he wants no interaction, it can work both ways.

His choice of material was dreadful and his rendition of standards made famous by Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole sounded like a drunk singing on a bus. Dylan's voice is fine for his own catalogue of beautiful songs, but it is not suited for the music of others.

The only highlight was his excellent band of musicians who did a great job propping him up; without them, his performance would have collapsed - yet he didn't once introduce, acknowledge or thank them.

One could forgive Bob Dylan for delivering a poor performance if he just had the graciousness to acknowledge in some small way his loyal audience, who had paid hard-earned money for tickets which were by no means cheap.

Many had travelled very long distances to see his show. He delivered pitifully few of the songs these people had come to hear.

Sad to say, the concert highlighted the fact that Bob Dylan is well past his sell-by date.

David Bradley

Drogheda, Co Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

haha thats great. People moaning about Dylan not acknowledging the crowd?! Incredible scenes. 
    JUDAS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

He was amazing. the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The guy who wrote the letter sounds like he's never been to a Bob Dylan concert before.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

Suas11 wrote: »
    The guy who wrote the letter sounds like he's never been to a Bob Dylan concert before.
    Agree with you there. I find it incredible that after all these years of Dylan concerts, people are still moaning about him not acknowledging the crowd much. I first saw him at Slane and that letter could have been the review in the Meath Chronicle from the paper's reviewer of that day's performance in the early 80s!! Who are these people who go to Dylan and don't know what to expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

"He delivered pitifully few of the songs these people had come to hear."

I was hoping for 'Girl From The Red River Shore' :D
    Damn you Bob Dylan!

He has written four to five hundred songs. Good luck with getting your dream setlist. I loved what he played and thought it was a great mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

A lot of the gripes about Bob Dylan shows are ridiculous.

I have seen Bob and his band many times over the years and I never fail to overhear someone bewildered after the show as to why Bob didn't sound like he did when he was 21 years old on Blowin' in the Wind.

Also it is pretty pathetic when an audience think they have the right to dictate the set list, the job of the artist in my opinion. Anyway Bob's recent setlist was heavy enough on crowd pleasing classics I thought, Don't Think Twice, Highway 61, Tangled Up in Blue, Desolation Row, Blowin' In The Wind, Ballad of a Thin Man. I guess a lot of these people didn't recognise the songs, another aspect which always surprises me.

However I must say I did not enjoy the recent performance in the 3 Arena, I thought it just sounded a bit flat overall, the band were very loose and clearly messing around freely at times which didn't add to the arrangements for me.
    Dylan himself seemed tired and his voice was rough and far from the stellar performances he was turning in earlier on this tour.

I was lucky enough to have caught Bob in Liverpool too, which was an incredible show and among the best of Bob's I have seen, the sound in the Echo arena was crisp and clear with every instrument well represented. Bob played an absolute blinder here vocally and musically, the only hicups were Things Have Changed and All Or Nothing At All which his voice went to rags on for some unbeknownst reason, for the rest of the show he was clear and powerful and his piano playing was brilliant, he seemed to be focused on staying in key and time whilst complementing the song, not always a given at Dylan shows as seen in Dublin and London. This show was head and shoulders above London and Dublin for me, and yet there wasn't a peep about it in the media. I'd recommend all Dylan fans to check the Liverpool bootleg out!

Advertisement