Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre NCT fail (yes / No)

• 10-12-2016 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Quick question. Will this nick on the tyre fail the NCT or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

Agent_47 wrote: »

I think that would fail. Seems a deep gouge in one particular point. I'm not a tester though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Go for gold

That would pass .it would fail if tyre cord visible/ damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd be surprised if that failed. Yes, it's sidewall damage but it's not deep/large etc. If it's an otherwise good tyre, you'd be grand i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You should be ok with that, it's only a small nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

the nick is on the rim protection on that tyre so should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Have decided to change them, I lost the back end twice in the past few weeks but there is 3.4 mm of thread left. It is not worth taking the chance as I want to get the 2 year NCT. the tyres are 3 year old now.

Thanks for the replies, nice to know for the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Have decided to change them, I lost the back end twice in the past few weeks but there is 3.4 mm of thread left. It is not worth taking the chance as I want to get the 2 year NCT. the tyres are 3 year old now.

Thanks for the replies, nice to know for the future

what brand of tyre are they . its probably more to do with the tyre than with the amount of thread left

what brand of tyre are they . its probably more to do with the tyre than with the amount of thread left

Hankkook Optima 4S, most reliable gripping tyre I have had on the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Hankkook Optima 4S, most reliable gripping tyre I have had on the car.

hmm strange one hankook are a quality tyre in fairness :cool: . was fully expecting you to say triangle or wanli or summit :o , you shouldn't be losing grip even with the thread down to 3 mm

hmm strange one hankook are a quality tyre in fairness :cool: . was fully expecting you to say triangle or wanli or summit :o , you shouldn't be losing grip even with the thread down to 3 mm

Exactly, surprised myself but second backend slip was on a roundabout this week and was not funny. Takes a lot to swing the back end on an S40!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

That'll pass. I had worse pass with a warning about the thread depth (legal but getting low) but no mention of the nick. I had the replacement tyre on the next day in any event.

Thanks all, took no chance and got the tyres today and also got the pass in the NCT test. That means the car which 9.75 year old won't need a test until 11.75 year old so am really happy.
    When I got to the NCT Centre (will remain nameless) the testers were in their office looking at the car so I thought here we go, certain they will try and fail it. As the day was wet I had to go around and clean all reflectors and headlights (while being watched) so as to leave no excuse.
    As before both cars ahead of me failed (flexi pipes on one, brake light, ball joint and trackrod bushings on the other). Retest x 2 were also in but 1 of them failed.

Given it can be a costly experience especially if emissions fail so I feel lucky. BTW my DPF is removed and the emissions were up on last time but 4 times below the limit. Will be trading it in for a newbie in 2019 so am not worried if testing develops in that time. Will defo go Petrol or electric as have had my fill of diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

BTW my DPF is removed and the emissions were up on last time but 4 times below the limit. Will be trading it in for a newbie in 2019 so am not worried if testing develops in that time.

Not a chance of diesel emissions testing or emissions equipment functionality testing being improved in the next 5 years.

Stone age stuff and it ain't gonna change.

I'm completely anti small capacity diesel but if you have one (and why wouldn't you considering all the incentives the comhaontas glasraí brought in) then you may as well go the whole hog and disable any emissions bolloxology. You're practically encouraged to do it under the current regime. If the greens actually gave a flying f**k about the environment they would have introduced stricter actual emissions testing hand in hand.

But that would contradicted the "co2 is the only thing that matters except when we have thenough chance to levy the fuel with less co2 per litre and thus force more people to diesel rather than horrible dirty petrol hybrids".

Usually at this stage I post a picture of a green party member looking a bit mental. But I'm on a phone so you'll just have to use your imagination. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

BTW my DPF is removed and the emissions were up on last time but 4 times below the limit.l.

Classy.
    Do you honestly not have any remorse about pumping shyte into the air just to save a few bob?
    Would you have an issue with your neighbours burning plastic off wires to get at the copper? Its only a bit of smoke after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Classy.
    Do you honestly not have any remorse about pumping shyte into the air just to save a few bob?
    Would you have an issue with your neighbours burning plastic off wires to get at the copper? Its only a bit of smoke after all.

It passed NCT did it not?
    It is now emitting even less terdible terdible terdible CO2 isn't it? The worstest emission there ever was lol.

Everyone's a winner!

Think ahead, act now, believe in pseudo science, vote Green!

Classy.

It passed the National Car Test. Obviously they don't hold it in high priority as an issue. I got it removed as the car was performing poorly with no errors. Now economy is better and I don't have to put an additive into the car. It is breathing better. I do't have to rev the car to "clean out the DPF".
    Had I known more about the DPF at the time of purchase I would have stayed with petrol, so in the future I will go electric or to a new tech petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Classy.

Would you condem drivers in older cars without dpfs fitted from factory?

Advertisement