Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deficient workmanship

Options
  • 10-12-2016 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Refurbished my house 2.5 years ago using one contractor that organized everything.

Pipe into a radiator they installed sprung a leak recently and contractor organized for the plumber that did the work originally to fix it.

Am I unreasonable to expect the contractor / plumber to fix this leak at their own expense? I've been charged €300 for it and left with a hole in the wall and a skirting board that needs replacing.

Some background:
    Original refurb cost about €80k
    I've gotten various other jobs done by this contractor over the past 1.5 years costing a further €20k+
    Warranty provided for the original refurb was 1 year so I am out of warranty

I'll pay the charge rather than fall out with the contractor over it. Personally, in the same position, I'd want to rectify my mistakes at my own expense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Why or how did the pipe leak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

emeldc wrote: »
    Why or how did the pipe leak

The pipe out of the wall was bent to form a right angle so that it was directed up to the radiator. The underside of the bend effectively cracked along the length of the pipe causing the leak.

As I understand it, it would be better to use an elbow joint but I'm no expert.

I'm no expert either although I do a lot of my own plumbing work at the shop (drycleaners) and I think an elbow would have been better. The price sounds a bit steep for the job involved. For example I had a small rad exchanged for a large vertical one during the week. Two men for an hour and a half, remove old rad, drill fittings for new rad, add extra elbows etc for fitting as new rad was wider, bleed and test for €80. Was your job as detailed as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yep, the plumber should have used an elbow joint. And I wouldnt be paying him anything until he restored everything to 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

emeldc wrote: »
    I'm no expert either although I do a lot of my own plumbing work at the shop (drycleaners) and I think an elbow would have been better. The price sounds a bit steep for the job involved. For example I had a small rad exchanged for a large vertical one during the week. Two men for an hour and a half, remove old rad, drill fittings for new rad, add extra elbows etc for fitting as new rad was wider, bleed and test for €80. Was your job as detailed as that.

They needed to bleed the radiator and fit a new pipe to feed into the radiator. I don't think there was much more involved. So the charge seems on the high side when compared to what you got done for €80

In any case the contractor reverted to waive the charge - so all ends well. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't being unreasonable!

• Advertisement

kaymin wrote: »
    They needed to bleed the radiator and fit a new pipe to feed into the radiator. I don't think there was much more involved. So the charge seems on the high side when compared to what you got done for €80

In any case the contractor reverted to waive the charge - so all ends well. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't being unreasonable!

Maybe you're too reasonable. TBH eyes wide open the next time you ask him to do something. Get a couple of quotes.

Advertisement