Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

British passport

• 10-12-2016 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

is there any advantages to getting an Irish passport if you are entitled to one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Is this a joke question or have you been in a cave since June 23rd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

AngryLips wrote: »
    Is this a joke question or have you been in a cave since June 23rd?

You mean it's useless since brexit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bob Z wrote: »
    You mean it's useless since brexit?

Potentially the opposite. Holding an Irish passport will permit free movement in the EU, regardless of what happens with the UK negotiations with the EU regarding travelling and residency rights post brexit. If the UK introduces restrictions on EU citizens travelling to the UK then there will almost certainly be a reciprocal restriction on UK people travelling to the EU. Holding an Irish passport will allow you to get around any such restrictions.

Please don't ask what type of restrictions might be imposed, nobody knows the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Sorry I made a mistake I meant a British passport I know there will be restrictions on Europe but for the rest of the world is it any better?

Is it worth having two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭PatMid78

Sorry I made a mistake I meant a British passport I know there will be restrictions on Europe but for the rest of the world is it any better?

Is it worth having two?

Outside of the EU, there are practically no differences between the Irish and UK passports apart from marginal differences around visa costs or length of stay. Check out these sites for more detailed information on the requirements country by country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_British_citizens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Irish_citizens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is it worth having two?

I would say no. In terms of travel to and residence within the UK for people with Irish passports, it's highly unlikely that there will be any change in the status that Irish people enjoy in the UK - right of residency, right to vote etc. which dates back to the (UK) Ireland Act 1949. We amended our constitution back in the 1970s to give the vote to UK citizens resident here so there is a bilateral recognition of each other's citizens with special status and entitlements that go well beyond our obligations as members of the EU and that probably will not change as a result of brexit.

Looking at the potential value of a UK passport for travel outside the EU, as the poster above has said, the differences will be minimal. The big attraction of the UK passport for Irish people (who qualified for one) used to be that you didn't need a visa to visit the US if you had a UK passport but since we were admitted to the visa waiver program, there is virtually no difference between the two passports for international travel.

Advertisement